PDA

View Full Version : DM Help help homebrew a higher CR version of a flying snake

Mordna
2018-11-27, 06:59 AM
For all of the wonderful optimizers and homebrewers out there, please lend me a hand in making a tougher version of the flying snake?

The flying snake is in the SRD and Monster Manual page 322, so I will post the stat block below. I would like to make a higher CR version of it - maybe 4,5 or 6. Players would be level 11, so a hard fight would be with 5-6 at CR 4 or 3 at CR 5 or 6. I'm open to a different CR and flexible on changes.

The idea is inspired from Heroes of Might and Magic where there are Serpent Flies - these creatures attack by striking with their tail stingers. Their attacks dispel any beneficial spells affecting their target. They apply their dispelling ability every time they attack. No creatures are immune to it and it can not be resisted in any way.
The 5E flying snake only bites, but I think a multiattack would be cool.

I'm trying to bake this into the 5E way of monster making, but as of now I haven't found a monster to model it on. I would also like to have 2 varieties of flying snake, one CR higher then the other, or even just a 'colour' or element change.

The terrain will be swamp and there may be other creatures involved in combat, probably immobile (plant creatures).

Flying Snake:
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 14

Hit Points 5 (2d4)

Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft., swim 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
4 (-3) 18 (+4) 11 (+0) 2 (-4) 12 (+1) 5 (-3)

Senses blindsight 10 ft., passive Perception 11

Languages none

Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)

Flyby: The snake doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
Actions

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage plus 7 (3d4) poison damage.

A flying snake is a brightly colored, winged serpent found in remote jungles. Tribespeople and cultists sometimes domesticate flying snakes to serve as messengers that deliver scrolls wrapped in their coils.

Thanks everyone for your help! :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2018-11-27, 07:13 AM
Well, it'd actually be pretty easy to do. Do you have the DMG?

Mordna
2018-11-27, 07:20 AM
Well, it'd actually be pretty easy to do. Do you have the DMG?

Sadly no. Can't have access to one in time.

hymer
2018-11-27, 07:20 AM
I use this (http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/quick-monster-stats.html) when I want to gauge a monster's CR. It should be very easy to get you the CR you want.
You may want to slightly undervalue poison damage (because resistance to it is so easily attainable), but then you may want to take the manoeuvrability of the flying snake into account. In all, I'd just use the stats straight.

Mordna
2018-11-27, 09:41 AM
I use this (http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/quick-monster-stats.html) when I want to gauge a monster's CR. It should be very easy to get you the CR you want.
You may want to slightly undervalue poison damage (because resistance to it is so easily attainable), but then you may want to take the manoeuvrability of the flying snake into account. In all, I'd just use the stats straight.

Thanks for the input.
However that tool is more useful for the reverse of what I need. I'm not trying to calculate the CR of a homebrew creature, I'm trying to rewrite one, make it more powerful, add features/traits to it, etc.

Unoriginal
2018-11-27, 10:13 AM
For all of the wonderful optimizers and homebrewers out there, please lend me a hand in making a tougher version of the flying snake?

The flying snake is in the SRD and Monster Manual page 322, so I will post the stat block below. I would like to make a higher CR version of it - maybe 4,5 or 6. Players would be level 11, so a hard fight would be with 5-6 at CR 4 or 3 at CR 5 or 6. I'm open to a different CR and flexible on changes.

The idea is inspired from Heroes of Might and Magic where there are Serpent Flies - these creatures attack by striking with their tail stingers. Their attacks dispel any beneficial spells affecting their target. They apply their dispelling ability every time they attack. No creatures are immune to it and it can not be resisted in any way.
The 5E flying snake only bites, but I think a multiattack would be cool.

I'm trying to bake this into the 5E way of monster making, but as of now I haven't found a monster to model it on. I would also like to have 2 varieties of flying snake, one CR higher then the other, or even just a 'colour' or element change.

The terrain will be swamp and there may be other creatures involved in combat, probably immobile (plant creatures).

Flying Snake:
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 14

Hit Points 5 (2d4)

Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft., swim 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
4 (-3) 18 (+4) 11 (+0) 2 (-4) 12 (+1) 5 (-3)

Senses blindsight 10 ft., passive Perception 11

Languages none

Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)

Flyby: The snake doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
Actions

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage plus 7 (3d4) poison damage.

A flying snake is a brightly colored, winged serpent found in remote jungles. Tribespeople and cultists sometimes domesticate flying snakes to serve as messengers that deliver scrolls wrapped in their coils.

Thanks everyone for your help! :smallbiggrin:

So, to make it CR 4, you need:

-Up the HPs to 116-130

-Up the dmg/round to 27-32

So let's give it a multiattack with 2 bites and one anti-magic stinger.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage plus 10 (5d4) poison damage

Antimagic Stinger: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d8) piercing damage. If hit, the creature must pass a DC 14 WIS check per magical effect on them. On a failed save, the concerned magical ends.