PDA

View Full Version : Evasion shield

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-20, 06:35 PM
evasion states light armor or no armor. so can my fighter rouge use a tower shield and still use evasion as long as he is in light/no armor?:smalltongue:

Zherog
2007-09-20, 06:39 PM
The rogue's evasion ability start light or no armor, to be clear. The ability is defined in different places with different conditions.

With the picking of nits out of the way...

Nothing in the rogue's version of the ability mentions shields, which leads me to believe the rogue can use the ability with any shield - including a tower shield.

BRC
2007-09-20, 06:40 PM
However, If you want to do that, I would suggjest bringing some pizza of +3 DM bribery to the session.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-20, 06:44 PM
And possibly a large block of cheese.

SadisticFishing
2007-09-20, 06:45 PM
... Why not? This makes a scary amount of sense. Ever wonder how you dodged that fireball? Maybe the 6 foot tall tower of metal had something to do with it.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 06:47 PM
....well I guess I would allow it, since it actually forces evasion to make sense for once. Instead of entering "rogue-space" you duck behind the shield.

I just can't figure out why would you would want to do this. Not very rogueish in the traditional sense.

Edit: ACCURSED NINJA!
/violence!

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 06:47 PM
It actually pretty much doesn't. I mean, an explosion would go above, through the sides, and down the shield, and it would only make you less agile. A rogue also relies on stealth, and I think shields detract from hide and move silently.

JackMage666
2007-09-20, 07:20 PM
Why would you want to be in Light Armor and a Tower Shield, though? You give up all the mobility of Light Armor when you use the Tower Shield, meaning it'd be alot better to ditch the shield, or put on Full Plate.

Unless you're trying to powergame.

Quietus
2007-09-20, 07:23 PM
It actually pretty much doesn't. I mean, an explosion would go above, through the sides, and down the shield, and it would only make you less agile. A rogue also relies on stealth, and I think shields detract from hide and move silently.

They don't detract if you put them on your back!

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-20, 07:29 PM
... Why not? This makes a scary amount of sense. Ever wonder how you dodged that fireball? Maybe the 6 foot tall tower of metal had something to do with it.

Because it is made of wood? /nitpick

If you do get evasion, I don't think your shield should so it would take damage as well and even if you did pay the 45gp extra for a steel tower shield, its probably won't survive.

RTGoodman
2007-09-20, 07:36 PM
I just can't figure out why would you would want to do this. Not very rogueish in the traditional sense.

Because "you can instead use [the tower shield] as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so." (From the SRD).

Also from the SRD, "You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check."

I've heard of people doing this before - you grab a tower shield, use its cover to hide, and then make your next attack as a sneak attack because you're hiding behind the shield strapped to your arm. :smallconfused:

Of course, it says you can use it for cover, but doesn't state if switching between "shield-mode" and "cover-mode" takes an action. Thus, as some people interpret it, you can then switch back to using it in "shield-mode" next round and attack, getting sneak attack because you're attacking from hiding.

Riffington
2007-09-20, 08:23 PM
What kind of DM would give your rogue sneak attack just because he moved from his tower shield?

Unless it's an enemy that's fooled by "Peek-a-boo"...

nhbdy
2007-09-20, 08:26 PM
Because "you can instead use [the tower shield] as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so." (From the SRD).

Also from the SRD, "You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check."

I've heard of people doing this before - you grab a tower shield, use its cover to hide, and then make your next attack as a sneak attack because you're hiding behind the shield strapped to your arm. :smallconfused:

Of course, it says you can use it for cover, but doesn't state if switching between "shield-mode" and "cover-mode" takes an action. Thus, as some people interpret it, you can then switch back to using it in "shield-mode" next round and attack, getting sneak attack because you're attacking from hiding.

that is true, i can see it now, u are fighting an orc barbarian...

"Me smash stupid rogue"
rogue hides behind tower shield
"where rogue go?"
rogue sneak attacks barbarian, killing it

lmao!

Person_Man
2007-09-20, 09:23 PM
The armor check penalty from a tower shield is -10. The armor check penalty applies to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks. So most of your useful Rogue Skills will be screwed.

You could do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Edea
2007-09-20, 09:37 PM
lmao, "rogue-space," that rocks.

Imagine a rogue wearing the tower shield on her head like some ludicrously oversized sun hat.

"Gotta protect my skin, don't want to get burned *wink*."

RTGoodman
2007-09-20, 09:45 PM
What kind of DM would give your rogue sneak attack just because he moved from his tower shield?

I didn't say I supported it, just that I'd heard of it. I think it's just easier to have a regular shield and use the Feint option.

horseboy
2007-09-20, 09:46 PM
lmao, "rogue-space," that rocks.

Imagine a rogue wearing the tower shield on her head like some ludicrously oversized sun hat.

"Gotta protect my skin, don't want to get burned *wink*."
lol. Imagine mounting it on swivels to your helmet. With a quick nod it slams down like a giant welding mask!

Sucrose
2007-09-20, 10:07 PM

Actually, I can see that working. If any of you have watched Ruroni Kenshin, you may recall a certain opponent who used a shield so that his opponent couldn't see where he was going to strike from. He was one of the more powerful members of the Shinsengumi.

Still, I agree that tower shields would ruin most roguely skills, so while you may be better in combat, it doesn't offset the loss of ability in most other areas, unless the fighter carries it for you or something.

Edea
2007-09-20, 10:10 PM
Ah, but what if it was made of a razor thin sheet of corundum? QUITE expensive.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-21, 12:28 AM
....well I guess I would allow it, since it actually forces evasion to make sense for once. Instead of entering "rogue-space" you duck behind the shield.

Edit: ACCURSED NINJA!
/violence!

not traditional at all. im lvl 2 rouge lvl 2 fighter. took the variant where rouge gets fighter feats instead of sneak attack. i get decent BAB,HP, Skill points, plenty of proficencies, and 7 feats!:smalltongue:

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-21, 12:32 AM
The armor check penalty from a tower shield is -10. The armor check penalty applies to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks. So most of your useful Rogue Skills will be screwed.

crap that is true i over looked that. could anyone come up with a way to get rid of the check penalty? what would it have to be made of? what feats? spells?

leperkhaun
2007-09-21, 12:38 AM
make it animated. Barring that i mithrial would be your best bet of lowering the armor penelty.

Nebo_
2007-09-21, 01:30 AM
Use a hide shield (ah, what a fitting name) from Sandstorm. It works like a tower shield but with only -3 ACP; masterwork it up and you've only got a -2 to hide.

Overlard
2007-09-21, 04:50 AM
make it animated. Barring that i mithrial would be your best bet of lowering the armor penelty.
Animated still counts towards armour check penalties. And tower shields are wooden (unless you get the heavier & more expensive steel tower shields from a splatbook I can't remember the name of), so you can't make it out of mithral.

RTGoodman
2007-09-21, 07:00 AM
You could make it out of darkwood (found here (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/specialMaterials.html)), which is sort of like mithral. As in, it lessens the shield's AC penalty by 2 and lessens the weight. Make it masterwork for another 1. So now you're only at -7 ACP.

I do believe that there are other armor/shield enhancements that lessen ACP, but I don't know what the are. Also, if you're mostly worried about the skills (Hide, Move Silently, etc.) I know that there are enhancements in the DMG/SRD that specifically give you bonuses in those skills. That might be worth taking a look at.

Keld Denar
2007-09-21, 07:11 AM
You could make it out of darkwood (found here (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/specialMaterials.html)), which is sort of like mithral. As in, it lessens the shield's AC penalty by 2 and lessens the weight. Make it masterwork for another 1. So now you're only at -7 ACP.

I do believe that there are other armor/shield enhancements that lessen ACP, but I don't know what the are. Also, if you're mostly worried about the skills (Hide, Move Silently, etc.) I know that there are enhancements in the DMG/SRD that specifically give you bonuses in those skills. That might be worth taking a look at.

Anything made from expensive special materials (mithril, adamantium, darkwood, thinaun, etc) is already considered masterwork. Its in the SRD under special materials at the top of the page. The -1 from MW is already included in the -2 from darkwood. Sorry buddy.

Techonce
2007-09-21, 07:35 AM
A few things:

1. 45 lbs is alot of weight. Kind of hard to be a roge carring around the door to the kitchen.

2. If you have total cover, can you see the other person? I wouldn't think so. If you can't see them then you can't make precision attacks against them.

3. If a person uses a tower shield for total cover, you can do all sorts of things to them since they are unable to make attacks. My favorite is disarming them of their shield. It's not easy, but they don't get to make attacks of oppertunity!

4. The -2 to all attacks kind of bites too.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-21, 08:26 AM
There are several EXTREME penalties involved in this.
1) You cannot hide while being observed, even casually. That should be enough for any DM to slap you for trying the stunt.
2) A lenient DM would allow you to bluff then hide (but that is at a -10 penalty for moving fast)
3) Given a comparable, suitable opponent, you're looking at about a 12 to 16 point differential between your hiding check and the observer's spot check. I think that was somewhere around 90% chance you'll be spotted, and they can take a move action for an extra chance at spotting you.
4) The total cover granted by the shield does not apply to spells. The spellcaster can target you by targeting the shield. To me, that says you're not really hiding. Refer back to number 1.

Person_Man
2007-09-21, 09:31 AM
crap that is true i over looked that. could anyone come up with a way to get rid of the check penalty? what would it have to be made of? what feats? spells?

I would suggest that you just use a regular mithral heavy shield. This will give you most of the armor bonus, but with almost none of the penalties of a tower shield.

Getting concealment is a great idea. But using a tower shield is a poor way to do it. The simplest way is to simply buy a Ring or Wand of Invisibility and use it when you need it. Or simply ask a friend to cast it on you.

Or you could dip one level into Warlock or Dragonfire Adept and take the Blend into Shadows feat (Drow of the Underdark). This gives you Hide in Plain Site as a Swift action.

Indon
2007-09-21, 11:54 AM

Well, you don't need to use it all the time. Just keeping it in your pack entails no ACP unless the tower shield's weight encumbers you. From there, it only takes a move action to put on, which can be combined into a move just like drawing a weapon, if I recall.

Blue Paladin
2007-09-21, 11:55 AM
Actually, I can see that working. If any of you have watched Ruroni Kenshin, you may recall a certain opponent who used a shield so that his opponent couldn't see where he was going to strike from. He was one of the more powerful members of the Shinsengumi.nitpick: He was one of Shishio's Juppongatana, not a Shinsengumi.

Still, I agree that tower shields would ruin most roguely skills...It's not like it's some permanent crippling effect. Jeez. You can "regain" all your lost abilities as a move-action: loose shield. If you need to Tumble, drop it. If you need to Balance, drop it. If you need to Hide, use it as cover (giving up all your attacks), loose shield as a move-equivalent action, Hide as part of a move, move with standard action. Drop shield as as free action somewhere in there. Sneaking in battle! It's all the rage.

Sucrose
2007-09-21, 01:31 PM
nitpick: He was one of Shishio's Juppongatana, not a Shinsengumi.

Right you are. I should've prayed a bit at the altar of Wikipedia before posting. I did remember that he was Makoto's (in)subordinate, but apparently I recalled the name incorrectly. The Shinsengumi were a real faction in the Meiji Revolution, and antagonists of Battosai within the manga.

However, I take issue with your second comment. I did note that if the fighter carries it for you when you aren't using it, it isn't really an issue. The difficulty is, that means that sometimes it won't be available when you want it.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-21, 01:47 PM
Well, you don't need to use it all the time. Just keeping [a tower shield] in your pack entails no ACP unless the tower shield's weight encumbers you. From there, it only takes a move action to put on, which can be combined into a move just like drawing a weapon, if I recall.
Umm... just how big IS your pack? You DO realize a tower shield is six feet tall.

Indon
2007-09-21, 02:41 PM
Umm... just how big IS your pack? You DO realize a tower shield is six feet tall.

3'rd edition has no encumbrance value on gear. If you can carry it, it's carried, by RAW anyway.

It doesn't _actually_ have to go into a pack, I was just making a joke about encumbrance.

RTGoodman
2007-09-21, 04:13 PM
Anything made from expensive special materials (mithril, adamantium, darkwood, thinaun, etc) is already considered masterwork. Its in the SRD under special materials at the top of the page. The -1 from MW is already included in the -2 from darkwood. Sorry buddy.

I don't anything like that at the top of the page (at least not at the SRDs I've looked at). The only thing that says that is the entry for mithral items ("Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below"). The description of masterwork armor only say that "all magic armors and shields are automatically considered to be of masterwork quality" (emphasis mine).

Do you have a link to show that all armors made from special materials are automatically masterwork? Because otherwise, I'm not seeing it.