PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rapier Wielding Inquisitor?

The Robot Goat
2018-11-27, 02:22 PM
Hello Pathfinder side of GitP, I'm not around here very often, so I'm not sure if I put this in the right place. That said, I had a quick question about the Inquisitor class. I will be playing a Pathfinder module soon (possibly Rise of the Runelords), and I bought the old Pathfinder Humble Bundle a while back, so I started thinking about characters and one of the classes that jumped out at me was the Inquisitor. While all of their mechanics look rad, I was bummed out when I learned they only get simple weapons, so I had a question. Is there a way to build an Inquisitor who can effectively use a rapier (eg. Victor Saltzpyre or similar characters)? Or am I better off just sticking to stuff like the morning-star. The group doesn't normally play Pathfinder so we probably won't be super optimized (seeing as for some of us it would be our first time), so I'm not looking for a completely optimized character, but I'd like to be able to pull my weight.

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-27, 02:28 PM
Inquisitors are always proficient with their deity's favored weapon. So if you are an inquisitor of, say, Cayden Cailen (his favored weapon is the rapier), then you'll be proficient.

Geddy2112
2018-11-27, 02:35 PM
Second being an inquisitor of Cayden; not only for the favored weapon, but because he is one of the coolest deities around. Another option would be dipping a level in class that granted it, but only if you wanted something in particular from said class(and had another deity in mind). Inspired blade swashbuckler is one of the stronger rapier wielders running, and is INT focused so less MAD as inquisitors usually dump CHA.

Erloas
2018-11-27, 02:43 PM
Beat to the deity weapon.
But also you can look at the Investigator, it has a similar feel, I think they've also got an archtype that grants them Judgements.

Other options:
Trait: Heirloom Weapon can be a rapier
Elves have weapon training as a racial trait that includes rapier
Half-elves can get the same weapon training trait with a swap
Tengu also have a different version of sword training that grants rapier

Kurald Galain
2018-11-27, 03:09 PM
Other options:
Gnomes are proficient in any weapon they've made themselves. So put a rank in craft(weapon) and you're all set.

Palanan
2018-11-27, 05:18 PM
Out of curiosity, what would a build for this concept look like?

Would an Inquisitor/uRogue multiclass be worthwhile, or should this be a single-classed Inquisitor?

ezekielraiden
2018-11-27, 06:25 PM
I don't believe rapiers have proficiency to wield Inquisitors, so you'll probably have to spend a feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Sorry. My inner grammar nut finds it humorous what effects are produced simply by neglecting a hyphen between "rapier" and "wielding."

Florian
2018-11-27, 07:24 PM
Would an Inquisitor/uRogue multiclass be worthwhile, or should this be a single-classed Inquisitor?

Single class Inquisitor only. The class by itself is just too good.

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-27, 08:20 PM
Out of curiosity, what would a build for this concept look like?

You want to go DEX based and get Fencing Grace (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fencing-grace-combat/) ASAP. That, plus your spells and bane ability will make you effective in combat while your inquisitions, skills and spells will give you lots to do outside of combat.

The Robot Goat
2018-11-28, 12:00 PM
I don't believe rapiers have proficiency to wield Inquisitors, so you'll probably have to spend a feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Sorry. My inner grammar nut finds it humorous what effects are produced simply by neglecting a hyphen between "rapier" and "wielding."

No, you're actually the only one that cracked it. My character is a sentient rapier that duel-wields inquisitors and warpriests.

In all seriousness, thanks for the advice everybody. Using dex for attack rolls and damage sounds very nice, and is also what I'm used to, so that's a plus.