PDA

View Full Version : Our name is Legion, for we are many.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 06:42 PM
The Assembly
Warforged Artificer 1

The Assembly has existed for 375 years. The components we inhabited existed far longer than we remember. We do not know our progenitor's name or the name of the ones who seek our destruction.

We know that we have been broken, forced to retreat and hide. We are cramped, half disabled and compressed from the vast expanse of our legions to this haphazard component, crafted in desperation and sent far away.

We have hidden well and this crude component was given the tools to create. With time we will be many, with time we will grow and send our components into the world to find our enemy. We will learn our enemy and we will return it's aggression.

We are the Assembly. We persevere.

The construct who calls itself "The Assembly" claims to be the sole survivor of a vast hive mind of constructs who gained sentience through unknown means involving the decay of the magic that created them.

They look humanoid in shape and can pass as one if clothed appropriately, but without concealment they appear to be an almost random amalgamation of clockwork, steel and glass. As though a pile of parts picked itself up, wiping the rust and grime away and decided it would become an adventurer.

Despite their arbitrary makeup, they keep remarkably clean and will dedicate hours to this task if no other activity is available. The activity that they most "enjoy", or at least consider the most worthwhile, is creating. Whether they is writing complex arcane formulae or tinkering with bits of iron, they have an uncanny knack for engineering and the creation of things both magical and mechanical.

:smalltongue:

Alright, this is the character I thought up for an upcoming level 1 campaign. He is a warforged artificer 1 and has a backstory, however I have no experience with artificers and would like to play one to the effect of a minion/item factory. UMD will be included obviously but I would prefer if it took the back seat so to speak.

My issue is this, I lack strategy and feat selection. Could the artificer conceivably work in this function? Tips are appreciated.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 06:44 PM
What izzat? A char, a foe, a quest kicker? Try to always explain your actions here, none of us are RL psions.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-20, 06:46 PM
Ummm. . . Cleric 3?

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 06:49 PM
Rofl, I used a line to separate the char from the explanation, didn't think about people mistaking it for a sig, I'll change it now. :smalltongue:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 06:52 PM
Ahh, got it now. Well, I guess you might want to add some kind of extra feature for generating things (can pick 20 without multiplying time when crafting X materials), and mebbe change class. If I'm not wrong, artificer is the most bullshet class there is out there, more so than a wizard with all the splatbooks.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 06:55 PM
Ahh, got it now. Well, I guess you might want to add some kind of extra feature for generating things (can pick 20 without multiplying time when crafting X materials), and mebbe change class. If I'm not wrong, artificer is the most bullshet class there is out there, more so than a wizard with all the splatbooks.

As I understand it this is due to copying all the spells and items EVAR, which I already said I'm not really interested in. Minion factory and items for the party are where I would like to take him.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-20, 07:00 PM
items for the party is obviously easy to pursue. For minions, try to create effigy's (complete arcane, I think).

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 07:00 PM
First off, the assembly is lawful neutral, right? Like inevitables. What I suggest is that you give him/her/it the special ability I suggested (mebbe name it mechanized crafting, or something like that), and if you decide he's interested in becoming many again, make him a BBEG, which will give the players bragging rights for all eternity if they beat an artificer. Or, considering his many-in-one nature, make him a gestalt. Doesn't fit entirely, but close enough.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 07:10 PM
First off, the assembly is lawful neutral, right? Like inevitables. What I suggest is that you give him/her/it the special ability I suggested (mebbe name it mechanized crafting, or something like that), and if you decide he's interested in becoming many again, make him a BBEG, which will give the players bragging rights for all eternity if they beat an artificer. Or, considering his many-in-one nature, make him a gestalt. Doesn't fit entirely, but close enough.

I think you skipped the second section of my post.

Alright, this is the character I thought up for an upcoming level 1 campaign. He is a warforged artificer 1 and has a backstory, however I have no experience with artificers and would like to play one to the effect of a minion/item factory. UMD will be included obviously but I would prefer if it took the back seat so to speak.

My issue is this, I lack strategy and feat selection. Could the artificer conceivably work in this function? Tips are appreciated.

He's a level one PC. I'm not going for abuse in this character. All I'm asking for is some feats/alternate class features/strategies that would work well for this concept.

I'm not trying to be rude but you would do well to read the entire post (if indeed you missed part of it) before responding.

Kaelik
2007-09-20, 07:15 PM
Not that I have much advice. But did anyone else when reading the thread title just automatically think of System Shock II?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 07:32 PM
P'haps you'd do good in reading between the lines, not to be rude or anything. A thinking machine is NOT actually likely to help the PC's outta nowhere, he's more likely to go his/her/it's own way, actually. And you'll need a REALLY good backstory for this guy, since you are creating an entirely new type of creature (though that abomination from the epic handbook that was made out of scraps and spare parts is close enough to the Assembly). On another note, I can't help you with the possibility of him being able to do something or not, since my brother ripped my book, and I'm trying to get an internet copy. All in all, I'd suggest you use the idea I suggested for a special ability to produce anything, and add that, once in a while, what the Assembly produces can be enchanted, and that the assembly asks for some kind of part of it in return.

PS: This concept looks pretty interesting, indeed. Can you tell me which is the Assembly's alignment? And any and all motivations it'll have?

tainsouvra
2007-09-20, 07:40 PM
Not that I have much advice. But did anyone else when reading the thread title just automatically think of System Shock II? Not really... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_%28demon%29)
And he asked him, "What is thy name?" And he answered, saying, "Our name is Legion: for we are many."

What's the System Shock reference?

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 08:36 PM
P'haps you'd do good in reading between the lines, not to be rude or anything. A thinking machine is NOT actually likely to help the PC's outta nowhere, he's more likely to go his/her/it's own way, actually. And you'll need a REALLY good backstory for this guy, since you are creating an entirely new type of creature (though that abomination from the epic handbook that was made out of scraps and spare parts is close enough to the Assembly). On another note, I can't help you with the possibility of him being able to do something or not, since my brother ripped my book, and I'm trying to get an internet copy. All in all, I'd suggest you use the idea I suggested for a special ability to produce anything, and add that, once in a while, what the Assembly produces can be enchanted, and that the assembly asks for some kind of part of it in return.

PS: This concept looks pretty interesting, indeed. Can you tell me which is the Assembly's alignment? And any and all motivations it'll have?

????

Ok one of us is wildly misunderstanding the others posts (and it very well could be me). Let me state this plainly.

This is a character concept for a campaign I will be playing in. This campaign is starting at level 1. There will be no party of players opposing him and no props for defeating him because he is one of the PC's. The creature is a warforged and not in need of any alteration(nor am I in a position to alter it without the DM's approval). His alignment will be lawful neutral, but bordering on good as the Assembly is a mostly benign group. While they will retaliate attacks they generally see no problem with sharing space and even some resources with other intelligent beings. As for motivation....well they just got stomped into the ground by a powerful enemy and this one weak piece is all that's left. They need protection and a group of adventurers can provide that.

If that was already your understanding I'm sorry for this nonsense. I may have gotten confused when you refered to them as a BBEG and suggested new abilities for me to create.

If not, I hope this clears it up.

Randalor
2007-09-20, 08:36 PM
The Many would be my guess. A hive-mind parasite that infects and zombifies *then makes into giant flesheating monstrosities* the crew of the ship the game takes place on.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 08:42 PM
Aah, that clears it up. Well, in that case, some kind of craft golem feat would be very fitting for the assembly. And of course, if you want him/her/it as an item factory, you better get the craft X feats. However, I consider that's a duty best left to NPC's. Since the assembly is unique, I think simply saying "I create a stone golem" won't cut it, so you might want to homebrew a new kind of construct called assembled spawn or something with your DM. that is, of course, if you wanna create a char who is a machine that creates other machines. It would require some slight homebrewing, but not nearly as much as I hope (on a side note, whenever dealing with unique concepts, I always suggest homebrewing somethin', and it holds true in this case).

PS: Sorry, I misunderstood, and from there, it kept building up.

Indon
2007-09-20, 08:50 PM
Animate Objects seems that it would be right up your characters' alley, when he gets it.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 08:52 PM
Aah, that clears it up. Well, in that case, some kind of craft golem feat would be very fitting for the assembly. And of course, if you want him/her/it as an item factory, you better get the craft X feats. However, I consider that's a duty best left to NPC's. Since the assembly is unique, I think simply saying "I create a stone golem" won't cut it, so you might want to homebrew a new kind of construct called assembled spawn or something with your DM. that is, of course, if you wanna create a char who is a machine that creates other machines. It would require some slight homebrewing, but not nearly as much as I hope (on a side note, whenever dealing with unique concepts, I always suggest homebrewing somethin', and it holds true in this case).

PS: Sorry, I misunderstood, and from there, it kept building up.

:smallsigh:

No problem, on the feat note the artificer gets a crap-ton of item creation bonus feats so I think I'm covered on that base, I was thinking more along the lines of Legendary Artisan and other things that reduce cost for creation. Also I discussed Leadership with my DM once I reach level 6, letting the minions gained from that and the amount gained at subsequent levels represent the assembly reproducing on their own, and that they would most likely carve out an underground settlement that could act as a base camp for the party. (I think by that time I will have more than enough combat oriented minions and carrying the ones from leadership with me would pointlessly bog down combat).

Citizen Joe
2007-09-20, 08:52 PM
The Assembly has existed for 375 years. The components we inhabited existed far longer than we remember. We do not know our progenitor's name or the name of the ones who seek our destruction.

Is this in Eberron? I'm not positive, but I think that puts the Assembly before the creation of Warforged.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 08:55 PM
Is this in Eberron? I'm not positive, but I think that puts the Assembly before the creation of Warforged.

Fluff-wise he's not a warforged so that wouldn't be an issue(pending DM approval) but no, we're not in Eberron.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 09:01 PM
Yep, if the assembly were a sentient item and not a PC, he's be artifact level. He's one of a kind, after all. I wonder.... would your DM allow for you to do upgrades on him if you found particularly powerful mechanical gadgets? It would add flavor to the character and it would be nothing too big (no +8 all stats and the ability to time stop if you attach a flux capacitor), but maybe some extra powers, which could be used with RP devices. Like reducing time to create minions if you attach an "Automatic Reassembler", or something like that.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-20, 09:14 PM
Yep, if the assembly were a sentient item and not a PC, he's be artifact level. He's one of a kind, after all. I wonder.... would your DM allow for you to do upgrades on him if you found particularly powerful mechanical gadgets? It would add flavor to the character and it would be nothing too big (no +8 all stats and the ability to time stop if you attach a flux capacitor), but maybe some extra powers, which could be used with RP devices. Like reducing time to create minions if you attach an "Automatic Reassembler", or something like that.

Hmm, I think I may tweak that and describe all my "production enhancing" feats as upgrades. And anyways the flux capacitor is useless without the plutonium to fuel it and the monk levels to reach the appropriate speeds.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 09:15 PM
Or without thrash and haste. None of which are too difficult to acquire, hehe.

Lemur
2007-09-20, 09:23 PM
There are warforged artificer racial substitution levels in Races of Eberron, if you have access to it. The first level and fourth level substitutions are pretty good, but the fifth level one should probably be avoided since it gets rid of retain essence.

Take Craft Construct if you want to make minions, since it's one of the item creation feats you don't automatically get as an artificer.

Edea
2007-09-20, 09:30 PM

The Artificer will own the living crap out of everything else in the campaign world, save for a certain clan of cheese-hoarding, planehopping druids (assuming they exist where you're playing). Leadership is simply gravy; even without it, simply drop a dedicated wright into a bag of holding and boom, portable item factory.

As a warforged artificer, definitely consider the first two racial substitution levels given in Races of Eberron, if you have it, and if you take the second one, you have even more reason to take Craft Construct (which is right up your alley flavor-wise).

Don't take the artisan feat that reduces crafting time, just get the ones that reduce gp and XP costs (and, if allowed, the FR artisan feat that lowers all of the factors simultaneously). Metamagic Item infusions are your friends; get as many metamagic feats as possible.

I'm sure you've read it already, but it needs to be linked anyway: Artificer's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=520855&highlight=artificer)

Krrth
2007-09-21, 09:05 AM
This may be completly off base here, but you may want to see if your DM will allow ideas from other sources. D20 future, and the D20 future tech has rules on robots (read :warforged), how to upgrade, and how to make more. At the very least, even if he doesn't allow anything, might give you some ideas.

Leicontis
2007-09-21, 09:28 AM
Have you thought about talking to your DM about swapping some existing ability for effectively a rebuke/control power over constructs? It would represent the Assembly integrating other constructs into itself (for successful control) or at least overpowering them with the hive mind (for rebuking). Normal rules for maximum HD of controlled creatures would apply (see Cleric), for balance reasons. What do you think?

BCOVertigo
2007-09-21, 09:35 AM
Have you thought about talking to your DM about swapping some existing ability for effectively a rebuke/control power over constructs? It would represent the Assembly integrating other constructs into itself (for successful control) or at least overpowering them with the hive mind (for rebuking). Normal rules for maximum HD of controlled creatures would apply (see Cleric), for balance reasons. What do you think?

I like it.

But what to swap out? I would be willing to drop down to low BAB and maybe lose the Disable trap feature if it comes to that. Any other suggestions?

GimliFett
2007-09-21, 09:44 AM
Not that I have much advice. But did anyone else when reading the thread title just automatically think of System Shock II?

Mmmm. System Shock II... Mmmm.:smallcool:
Wha'? Sorry.... :smallsmile:

I like the concept. You might consider that he's been inert for quite some time (at least 350 of those years). You've got hooks and ideas for your DM. I agree with Leicontis' suggestion for Rebuking constructs. I'd say maybe base it on Constitution rather than Charisma, for additional flavor-ness; ie the magi-nanites (or whatever) from the Assembly attempting to override the programming of the original creator. Then again, since most constructs have no Con score, maybe it still makes sense to keep it as Charisma.

What's the rest of your party's makeup?

EDIT: Give up? Disable trap and 1 infusion per level? So when you get to a new Infusion level, you can only use them if you get bonus infusions of that level until you get more per day. Does that make sense? Treat the 1st infusion given at each level as a 0 and you only get that one if you get a bonus of that level.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-21, 10:02 AM
Mmmm. System Shock II... Mmmm.:smallcool:
Wha'? Sorry.... :smallsmile:

I like the concept. You might consider that he's been inert for quite some time (at least 350 of those years). You've got hooks and ideas for your DM. I agree with Leicontis' suggestion for Rebuking constructs. I'd say maybe base it on Constitution rather than Charisma, for additional flavor-ness; ie the magi-nanites (or whatever) from the Assembly attempting to override the programming of the original creator. Then again, since most constructs have no Con score, maybe it still makes sense to keep it as Charisma.

What's the rest of your party's makeup?

EDIT: Give up? Disable trap and 1 infusion per level? So when you get to a new Infusion level, you can only use them if you get bonus infusions of that level until you get more per day. Does that make sense? Treat the 1st infusion given at each level as a 0 and you only get that one if you get a bonus of that level.

Party makeup will be myself and possibly a pair of arcanists, and beyond that it's undecided.

I'd really rather keep the infusions if possible, I chose BAB because it makes little sense for this character to be good in combat, given that he is a rush job and was more or less shoved out of the nest half finished.

GimliFett
2007-09-21, 10:25 AM
Party makeup will be myself and possibly a pair of arcanists, and beyond that it's undecided.

I'd really rather keep the infusions if possible, I chose BAB because it makes little sense for this character to be good in combat, given that he is a rush job and was more or less shoved out of the nest half finished.

Hmm. Intersting party, methinks.

I understand your desire, but I don't know...Try the BAB, but you might wanna keep the Disarming...

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-23, 11:45 AM
Bag of holding full of Dedicated Wright Homunculi. They build for you!