PDA

View Full Version : Cure for vampire-ism?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-27, 09:23 PM
Let's say a pc gets turned into a vampire spawn or full fledged vampire. Is there a cure besides Wish or a raise the dead spell after "killing" the vampire?

Laserlight
2018-11-27, 09:35 PM
MM p295 says "...the vampirism is reversed with a wish spell or the character is killed and brought back to life." So no, it doesn't look like there's any other way by RAW.

You could float the idea of Greater Restoration ('end the effect of one curse") and see if your DM buys it. Or ask about Exciting Quest Opportunities Near You.

PhantomSoul
2018-11-27, 09:56 PM
Talking to the DM (or, even better, having your character researching in-world, if relevant already) is probably ideal -- Laserlight gave great general guidelines or possibilities, but the DM might have ideas of how the world works! (E.g. I've heard of "curse curing" working, and I've also heard of cases where killing the vampire doesn't let you bring the creature back to life-life because the creature was undead.)

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-27, 10:03 PM
Agreed. Thank you both for the tips.

The process of becoming a vampire could in hilarious hurried theory be cured by killing the new vampire or spawn and a 3rd level Revivify or more likely one of the other "Raise the Dead" spells after killing the vampire. As a DM I might hint to the players, especially if they had some access to the mid level "Raise the Dead" spells there would be complications if they don't do complete a McGuffin as stated earlier.

Interesting.

Laserlight
2018-11-27, 11:01 PM
It'd be hard to argue that Revivify would work. The PC is killed, buried, and rises later as a spawn. That puts it outside Revivify's time limit.

Angelalex242
2018-11-28, 12:09 AM
Alternatively, why cure it? Just embrace your inner Angel/Spike/Damon/Stefan/Bill/Eric/whatever.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-28, 12:12 AM
Alternatively, why cure it? Just embrace your inner Angel/Spike/Damon/Stefan/Bill/Eric/whatever.

I'm really not sure my party has ever gone 5 days w/o killing SOMETHING I could drink the blood of anyways lol.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-28, 12:28 AM
Let's say a pc gets turned into a vampire spawn or full fledged vampire. Is there a cure besides Wish or a raise the dead spell after "killing" the vampire?

Now I'm thinking of a new Cantrip...

Cure Vampirism
Transmutation Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 5'
Components: V M (a wooden stake)
Duration: Instantaneous

You stab a creature with a wooded stake dealing 1d4 base damage. If the creature dies, specifically by bursting into dust, it might have been a vampire. Good job! If the creature didn't die you may have missed so really dig deep... You may use a bonus action to twist the stake for good measure dealing an additional 1d4 + strength damage.

If the creature doesn't burst into dust you may havestabbed an innocent pale creature... Hope you feel good about yourself.

At level 5, 11, and 17 the damage of the initial stakening imcreases by 1d4 damage.

Unoriginal
2018-11-28, 07:57 AM
Agreed. Thank you both for the tips.

The process of becoming a vampire could in hilarious hurried theory be cured by killing the new vampire or spawn and a 3rd level Revivify or more likely one of the other "Raise the Dead" spells after killing the vampire. As a DM I might hint to the players, especially if they had some access to the mid level "Raise the Dead" spells there would be complications if they don't do complete a McGuffin as stated earlier.

Interesting.

Using Revivify on a vampire means the vampire comes back. Raise the Dead and other resurrection magic beside True Resurrection flat out doesn't work.

Laserlight
2018-11-28, 08:16 AM
Raise the Dead and other resurrection magic beside True Resurrection flat out doesn't work.

That sounds vaguely familiar but I didn't see that in the MM entry on vampires. What's the source?

darknite
2018-11-28, 08:46 AM
Cure for vampire-ism? Here's the best one...

http://aux2.iconspalace.com/uploads/443455339264323476.png

Gryndle
2018-11-28, 10:26 AM
wooden stake to the heart? why yes I do have the Archery fighting style :)