View Full Version : Do mythic tiers balance spellcasters better than non mythic levels?

Selion
2018-11-28, 12:24 AM
Reading a few of mythic abilities I got this impression, limited to combat situations, comparing a mythic spellcaster to a mythic martial class.
Reasons:
1) action economy: most mythic abilities require a swift action; high level spellcasters usually use their swift action to cast a quickened spell
2) mythic points expenditure: spellcasters have to spend their pool just to cast a mythic version of their spells, which often costs several mythic points
3) saves: mythic characters totally ignore effects of a non mythic spell they successful save. Furthermore, surge can be used as a bonus to saves, while cannot be used to increase the DC of spells. If surge is used with a legendary armor, it gives +20 to a save as immediate action, which makes a character totally immune to must non mythic spells. There only way for a mythic spellcaster to increase her spells DC is with the mythic spell focus feat, which is limited to a single school of magic.
4) spelllike abilities: a martial character has access to a limited choice of spells as spelllike abilities, even high level ones.

I haven't played a mythic game still, so this is just an impression. All of that is to be considered only in combat, because outside combat the path ability "wild spell" adds even more versatility to spellcasting classes.

legomaster00156
2018-11-28, 12:32 AM
No. I don't know if you've looked at the Mythic Spells, but they range from "really good" to "ridiculous".

Recherché
2018-11-28, 12:38 AM
Although on a tangent, giving more mythic tiers to characters with less spellcasting might do something to help balance things.

Particle_Man
2018-11-28, 12:58 AM
Also isn't one of the mythic archetypes granted an ability that basically lets you spend a mythic point to cast any spell at your highest class level? So a 6th level sorcerer could cast any 3rd level sorcerer spell, whether it was known or not?

Calthropstu
2018-11-28, 01:35 AM
There are three mythic spells which are pure win.

Mythic augmented timestop is single handedly the most broken ability ever published.

Mythic augmented disintegrate can reach damage in the thousands and will, properly utilized, one shot anything in the game if they fail the save. If they make the save, it can be made to do 360 damage, which still one shots just about anything.

Mythic globe of invulnerability is "Oh, you're not mythic? Good luck killing me." Complete invulnerability to nonmythic spells and mythic spells of 4th level or lower. It's insane as an anti magic defense. Buff yourself properly, and nothing short of a god is going to affect you.

Disregarding that, the base mythic abilities that spellcaster paths get are INSANE. "I spend one mythic point to cast ANY SPELL I WANT." Literally any spell. You now have an answer to just about anything. Other than that, the dual path summoner archetype I built for my fire oracle? "Oh no, it's a martial whatever shall I do? Oh, I'll just summon stuff surround myself with 2d3+4 huge dinosaurs."

My fire oracle was able to, in a single round:
Turn into a fire elemental (utilizing a free action and a mythic point to gain a standard action and my ability from fire path oracle)
Summon 1d3 +2 creatures (speedy summons, swift action)
Cast a spell (usually summon monster, standard action due to speedy summons)
Use a move action. So on my turn I buffed myself, surrounded the enemy with summons and moved.

The martial was able to:
Partial charge
Full attack
Move.

The martial swung his sword fast.

To be fair, mythic DOES give you access to the legendary item ability which, if you take intelligent item and pop up the spellcasting to max, you can gain wish 3x/day as a spell like ability which makes ANY character ridiculous. So the basic gap DOES get closer. But only at tier 9 can you do that.