PDA

View Full Version : Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

Atarax
2018-11-28, 03:15 AM
Any ideas on what could be used as a symbol for this goddess? It doesn’t have to be super original, it just needs to make sense and be simple enough to be made into an icon. I’ve done a lot of thinking and googling over this, and I’m drawing a blank. This is what I have so far.

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Portfolio: Art, Free Thinking, Creativity, Revelry, Exploration

Dogma: It is the sign of a thriving civilization to display works of art, inventions, and fine craftsmanship of all kinds. People should think for themselves rather than to do things just because they’re expected. The imagination is a sacred thing. The artist or craftsman in the grips of furious inspiration is favored by Synphion. The raucous celebration of life is a display of Synphion’s presence. Alcohol and the various intoxicating herbs are gifts of the Maiden. The frontiersman pushing on to see what’s over the next rise is driven by the spirit of Synphion. Creation is life. Life itself is a gift, it is a waste not to live it to its fullest.

LudicSavant
2018-11-28, 03:30 AM
A symbol for a goddess of art, creativity, and free thinking: an octoganal canvas decorated with 3 painted strokes in her 3 primary colors; the catch is that each symbol is unique, with the strokes arranged in a new way by the bearer of each symbol. Different patterns were said to express different virtues.

And yet everyone could easily recognize 3 strokes of 3 primary colors on an octagon as a simple and recognizable symbol, regardless of the layout. PC clerics could even make their own personal crest and such.

The octagon represents the 8 "parlors" or categories of creative works as delineated by the church. The 3 strokes represent the potential for basic elements to be combined to create all things. The differences between each individual iteration of the symbol represents the infinite variety of free thought and their beautiful expressions.

Vogie
2018-11-28, 04:44 PM
A man with an afro holding a palette & brush, clearly.

I could also see an Escher-esque representation, of a hand drawing a city or tower, and a small person walking into that city or building.

jqavins
2018-11-28, 05:20 PM
A symbol for a goddess of art, creativity, and free thinking: an octoganal canvas decorated with 3 painted strokes in her 3 primary colors; the catch is that each symbol is unique, with the strokes arranged in a new way by the bearer of each symbol. Different patterns were said to express different virtues.I do like this, but I'm conflicted because I'm also of the opinion that a symbol for any deity should be something one can draw on a rock with a piece of charcoal. So no colors. But it's really good! But no colors. But...

How about the "Three Stroked Octagon" whether in color or not? A cleric who makes his/her own Holy Symbol (which s/he should do in most cases) will usually make it in color, as will an artist making it only got art's sake. Usually. But then the free thinking ethic means that if one wants to make a Holy Symbol out of a single material it should be allowed. Or out of, say, silver, gold, and copper, three colors but not the three primaries; the intent is still clear.

So, in summary, while the idealized symbol uses the three primary colors, the symbol may be represented without them. And is not any representation of a symbol the same as the symbol itself, as it too represents the goddess?

Red-Blue-Yellow, Red-Blue-Green, Magenta-Cyan-Yellow, or some other set?

Maat Mons
2018-11-28, 05:21 PM
[COLOR="#0000FF"]I could also see an Escher-esque representation, of a hand drawing a city or tower, and a small person walking into that city or building.

Or, you know, just straight-up copy one of his most famous works (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawing_Hands).

Atarax
2018-11-28, 07:46 PM
I love the idea of the primary colors and especially that the symbol is encouraged to be unique. But then I had the same thought about how that would work as far as etched in stone, as a symbol carried by the Cleric, etc...

The hand drawing a hand would unquestionably be a badass symbol.

Both ideas are better than anything I had (which is ironic because I’m not creative enough to come up with a symbol for creativity). You are truly touched by Synphion.

LudicSavant
2018-11-29, 01:31 AM
I do like this, but I'm conflicted because I'm also of the opinion that a symbol for any deity should be something one can draw on a rock with a piece of charcoal. So no colors. But it's really good! But no colors. But...

How about the "Three Stroked Octagon" whether in color or not? A cleric who makes his/her own Holy Symbol (which s/he should do in most cases) will usually make it in color, as will an artist making it only got art's sake. Usually. But then the free thinking ethic means that if one wants to make a Holy Symbol out of a single material it should be allowed. Or out of, say, silver, gold, and copper, three colors but not the three primaries; the intent is still clear.

So, in summary, while the idealized symbol uses the three primary colors, the symbol may be represented without them. And is not any representation of a symbol the same as the symbol itself, as it too represents the goddess?

Seems reasonable to me. There's certainly precedent for having both simplified and more formalized versions of symbols.

Vogie
2018-11-29, 08:12 AM
Or, you know, just straight-up copy one of his most famous works (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawing_Hands).

No, the OP is looking for a symbol that also represents "inventions and fine craftsmanship", not just art.

By having a hand drawing a city, smithy, or tower - some building or other type of crafted item - you get the intent of both art and creation of all of the cogs that makes the civilization engine tick.