PDA

View Full Version : creature with innate casting and off list casting.

Yogibear41
2018-11-28, 03:59 AM
Are there any other creatures similar to dragons that have innate casting, but can choose spells from a different class list? For example, many true dragons cast spells as sorcerers, but can choose spells known off the cleric list to cast as arcane spells.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-11-28, 12:00 PM
Dragons, again, since they can choose various draconic sovereign archetypes, from Dragons of Eberron. Dragons that can cast druid spells? Yes, please!

Thurbane
2018-11-28, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure there are one or two other examples of this besides Dragons, but I can;t remember specific examples off the top of my head.

Here's a list of monsters with innate casting: Complete list of Innate Spellcasting? [3.0/3.5/PF] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?136021)

PrismCat21
2018-11-28, 07:42 PM
Phaerimm casts arcane spells as a sorcerer, caster level equals their character level, which stack with actual Sorcerer levels. So twice the power for regular cost. AND they cast Sorcerer spells like SLA's, so no verbal, material, or somatic components .

Their natural enemies are the Sharn. Who casts both Sorcerer AND Cleric spells. Can cast 2 spells in the same round. Uses small portals to cast spells and/or attack through, up to 100 ft. away. Each HD increase (through HD advancement or class levels) also advances either Sorcerer or Cleric spells. Neither Sorcerer or Cleric spell require material components or focuses of any kind. They can choose 4 Cleric Domains and gain the granted power of all 4.
They also have three heads and a bunch of other abilities and immunities. They're friggin' scary.

radthemad4
2018-11-28, 07:59 PM
These are from realmshelps which is missing quite a few monsters (so this list isn't comprehensive), and also missing information on some of the monsters I clicked, so double check before using any of these.

A couatl casts spells as a 9th-level sorcerer, except that it does not need material components. It can also cast spells from the cleric list and from the Air, Good, and Law domains as arcane spells.

An air weird can cast arcane spells and divine spells from the Air and Travel domains as an 18th-level sorcerer

An earth weird can cast arcane spells and divine spells from the Earth and Destruction domains as an 18th-level sorcerer

A fire weird can cast arcane spells and divine spells from the Fire and Sun domains as an 18th-level sorcerer

An ice weird can cast arcane spells and divine spells from the Chaos, Cold, and Law domains as an 18th-level sorcerer

A snow weird can cast arcane spells and divine spells from the Air and Cold domains as an 18th-level sorcerer

A water weird can cast arcane spells and divine spells from the Water Healing domains as 18th-level sorcerer

A hebi-no-onna casts spells as a 14th-level sorcerer, selecting its spells from the wu jen spell list.

A Naga, banelar casts spells as a 6th-level cleric with access to the Evil, Magic, and Water domains and as a 6th-level wizard. It can cast a single spell every round as a free action while attacking

Brine nagas cast spells as 14th-level sorcerers and can also cast spells from the druid spell list. The druid spells are considered arcane spells for a brine naga. The naga can add druid spells to its personal spell list. The naga does not need a divine focus to cast these druid spells.

Guardian nagas cast spells as 9th-level sorcerers and can also cast cleric spells and spells from the Good and Law domains as arcane spells.

Spirit nagas cast spells as 7th-level sorcerers, and can also cast cleric spells and spells from the domains of Chaos and Evil as arcane spells.

Nagahydras cast spells as 15th-level sorcerers, and can also cast spells from the cleric list and from the Destruction and Scalykind domains.

A rakshasa casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer, and can also cast 1st-level cleric spells as arcane spells

I didn't look at dragons

Yogibear41
2018-11-29, 01:03 AM
Monster Manual has nothing about Rakshasa being able to cast 1st level cleric spells as arcane spells. Where is that from?

Thurbane
2018-11-29, 01:15 AM
Monster Manual has nothing about Rakshasa being able to cast 1st level cleric spells as arcane spells. Where is that from?

I'm pretty sure that was the 3.0 version.