PDA

View Full Version : Magic initiate fighter question

Rivaler
2018-11-28, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm planning on starting a new character for an Adventurers League campaign. After some thought, I decided I'd try with something flavorful, and set for a duelist type of character, with the Magic Initiate feat, trying to be a magic driven fighter vowed to some water deity and using it's powers to fight. The idea is going for the Samurai Fighter archetype and, taking druid as the feat class, choosing:

Cantrips: Shape Water, Shillelagh

1st Level Spell: Fog Cloud

The approach to the theme would be shaping a rapier out of a pool of water and freezing it, all with Shape Water, and strengthening it with shillelagh to have a fight-ready weapon.

And here's the problem: RAW, this isn't possible any way you look at it. HOWEVER, I think this would perfectly work using a real club instead of a magically created ice rapier.
My question is: do you think it would be possible to fluff using the mechanics of just a generic "shillelagh reinforced"-club as creating a ice rapier to fight? I know the damage types would be strange (club is blunt, rapier is pierce), but the rest of it sounds honest to me, even though it's AL.

Any opinion and suggestion is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-28, 09:45 AM
Neat idea.

In a campaign with me as the DM I'd check your damage expectations and probably allow it. Maybe I'd come up with something like, "are you prepared for what happens 18 sessions from now when you stick your ice sword into a flaming Balor?" and leave it open ended because I haven't thought out the interaction.

Adventure League I'm not familiar with but from what I gather you'll likely have various DM's who have a stricter set of rules to follow.

Vogie
2018-11-28, 10:00 AM
Shillelagh only works by on Clubs and Quarterstaffs, so don't start calling it an ice rapier. You'd also only be able to use either Wisdom or Strength on it, so it doesn't have Finesse, technically. That may or may not matter, depending on your stats. It may look like a rapier, but you won't be piercing anything with it, nor using your dexterity modifier to smack things.

I know I'd allow it, but I'd make sure the player summons it using 2 actions... I'd let them keep it frozen throughout the day with hourly castings of Shape water.

I like the concept.

DevilMcam
2018-11-28, 10:14 AM
I as a DM would say yes.
Yet as a player I would cary an extra club to avoid having to argue with a DM in case he is not Okay with it

Willie the Duck
2018-11-28, 10:18 AM
The instant you say Adventure League, our opinions become less and less important. There are some people in AL who would be like, "fluff is fluff. If you have access to a real club, using the 'ice rapier' instead doesn't change your power level," and others who would be like, "you're playing an illegal character! NGYAAAAA!" (these people may or may not be hyperbolic fictional scenarios, but I've heard bad things about AL).

If this were a home game, I'd say go for it.

Rivaler
2018-11-28, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies! Yes, the whole idea is a bit flimsy, but I like it. I'm not really into damage optimization anyway, and the cantrips are only there to justify mechanically what I'm trying to achieve :) I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope the master doesn't have much against having to take 2 turns and a bonus action to make a weapon that would otherwise be ready with just a bonus action :P And yeah, carry a spare club / quarterstaff, just in case!

lunaticfringe
2018-11-28, 12:18 PM
It works as long as you don't expect/demand rules changes I think.

Have you thought about 3/4 warlock levels down the line? Bladelocks can change what type of weapon their pact blade is and what it looks like, so you could summon all manner of icy weapons raw.