PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on a Periapt of Orcish Endurance

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-28, 10:58 AM
Here is my idea. Its obviously inspired by the Periapt of Wound Closure but I want it to be less powerful and maybe a bit of a social hindrance around orcs. We have a player who keeps losing his PC's thanks to aggressive play and a bit of non-optimization so I wouldn't mind helping him out.

Periapt of Orcish Endurance:
Wonderous Item
Uncommon
Requires Attunement

It is a mummified 1/2 orc toe on a platinum chain

While you wear this pendant once a day when you are dying at the start of your turn you stabilize and return to zero hit points.

Questions:
Is there any reasonable mechanical way to make the PC wear it outside his clothing? It requires sunlight or to be visible to some god or other?

Is there a reasonable trade off to making it work as often as the Periapt of Wound Closure but have a negative side effect like your skin turns green and you have disadvantage on charisma checks until you complete a long rest....

For a back story I have a vague idea about a ranger "orc hunter" and a powerful wizard but am open to ideas.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-28, 05:56 PM
Note: With the way it's written, "Stabilized and at 0 health" implies that the character is still unconscious but no longer dying. If you want them back on their feat, you need to bring them to 1 HP. Otherwise, leaving them unconscious once a day when they're dying is perfect for a "useful but still weak" magical item.

I'd probably say it was ripped off by a Barbarian gladiator who had it blessed. He challenged orcs for their endurance, and remained champion for many years. He had his first orcish toe enchanted to reflect their impossible endurance, but intentionally had it hexed to only work when worn openly, to hopefully create conflict with more orcs and to see the genocide continue.