PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

JMS
2018-11-28, 11:03 AM
Welcome to my first major project in D&D - a guide to DSP's Malefex class. The Malefex is a quality tier 3 class, one that I believe acts like 3.5's Warlock and Hexblade had a baby, and that baby trained as a rogue. As a Malefex, you are a compentent skill monkey and debuffer. Without further addo, here is the guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-0_zTrjn3asu0e7rok73B62owXwqB2QKtcn0QPIFRHg/edit?usp=sharing

Please gve me feedback, I will be wrong on a lot of my advice!

Lord_Gareth
2018-11-28, 11:10 AM
You kinda jumped the gun on posting the link but MAN am I hyped to see this.

I also believe you wanted a different word here in this sentence: "Note that Cha scores that lead to odd bonuses are worse than even, given that the Malediction feature uses ½ wis for curses active."

JMS
2018-11-28, 11:24 AM
You kinda jumped the gun on posting the link but MAN am I hyped to see this.

I also believe you wanted a different word here in this sentence: "Note that Cha scores that lead to odd bonuses are worse than even, given that the Malediction feature uses ½ wis for curses active."
Yeah, still very in progress, but I just want some feedback.
I'll work on a fix to that wording.

Lord_Gareth
2018-11-28, 12:05 PM
Yeah, still very in progress, but I just want some feedback.
I'll work on a fix to that wording.

No worries.

A friend of mine noted that you've got Cha at the front of the stat line; I think you mean Wis there, since Cha shows up twice and Wis is missing?

JMS
2018-11-28, 12:54 PM
No worries.

A friend of mine noted that you've got Cha at the front of the stat line; I think you mean Wis there, since Cha shows up twice and Wis is missing?
Why, yes, I do, despite my undying love for Daring hero. (Not that it works for the Mafelex anyways)

Andor13
2018-11-28, 02:26 PM
Looks like a good start. I've only seen the class on the SRD so I'm curious to know what I've missed.

JMS
2018-11-28, 03:08 PM
I've only seen the class on the SRD so I'm curious to know what I've missed.
Probably only the Knocks, but I haven’t checked the Malefactions yet. For the Knocks, I will say that the missing text starts with the end of Bitter Experience.

Ellrin
2018-11-28, 11:57 PM
Looks like a good start. I've only seen the class on the SRD so I'm curious to know what I've missed.

The SRD also doesn't have any of the class-ability-relevant feats, unless they've been added in the past few months.

JMS
2018-11-29, 12:41 PM
Question for those who are more familiar with the DM’s side - other than one Oracle curse, how many curse immunities are there? One feat seems to be getting an instant Red

Castilonium
2018-11-29, 04:48 PM
Question for those who are more familiar with the DM’s side - other than one Oracle curse, how many curse immunities are there? One feat seems to be getting an instant Red

Asuras, Linnorms, Raveners, level 11 Soul Sentinel Paladins, level 11 Harrow Warden Monks, level 11 Antiquarian Investigators, level 13 Hag-Called Psychics, level 16 unchained summoner astral eidolons, level 20 harrow bloodline Sorcerers, level 20 hag bloodline Bloodragers, and people with the Planar Infusion (astral plane, greater) feat.

Pretty sure this is an exhaustive list. Great start on the guide, by the way :smallsmile:

AlienFromBeyond
2018-11-29, 07:29 PM
With the addition of handwraps in the Martial Arts Handbook, unarmed is no longer more expensive than using regular weapons if you are not TWF (if you were already TWF then it was exactly as expensive in the first place), so by your own admission Bare-Knuckle Brawler should probably go up in rating.

I would note that Gobsmack's ability to count enemies as flat-footed when you summon and attack with a Bad Penny does not require them to be an improvised weapon. Have a whole golf club bag of bad pennies to summon each round if you desire, so long as you have some cheap method of maintaining an enhancement bonus on all of them (Amulet of Mighty Fists + Ascetic Style shenanigans, or just take Personal Touch and do use all your pennies as improvised weapons!). Depends a bit on what kind of enemies you're fighting, if it's mostly big beefy low dex enemies then probably not worth it.

Size Up has no text describing why you rate it as such? Personally I would rate it green at best so curious to see why you think it's worthy of blue.

Missing the Street Tactics knock entirely! People rag on teamwork feats a lot but there are a number of pretty solid ones, so if you've got a friendly Inquisitor (or more) that is already getting teamwork feats this can get you a lot of effective value. Very party composition dependent.

Obviously the guide still has a lot to cover, but I think what's there is a solid base.

JMS
2018-11-30, 08:14 AM
Pretty sure this is an exhaustive list. Great start on the guide, by the way :smallsmile:
Thank you. That’s a small list, looks like the pierce immunity feat is going to go in the categories of this is rarer then undead with true seeing for a Beguiler.

With the addition of handwraps in the Martial Arts Handbook, unarmed is no longer more expensive than using regular weapons if you are not TWF (if you were already TWF then it was exactly as expensive in the first place), so by your own admission Bare-Knuckle Brawler should probably go up in rating.

I would note that Gobsmack's ability to count enemies as flat-footed when you summon and attack with a Bad Penny does not require them to be an improvised weapon. Have a whole golf club bag of bad pennies to summon each round if you desire, so long as you have some cheap method of maintaining an enhancement bonus on all of them (Amulet of Mighty Fists + Ascetic Style shenanigans, or just take Personal Touch and do use all your pennies as improvised weapons!). Depends a bit on what kind of enemies you're fighting, if it's mostly big beefy low dex enemies then probably not worth it.

Size Up has no text describing why you rate it as such? Personally I would rate it green at best so curious to see why you think it's worthy of blue.

Missing the Street Tactics knock entirely! People rag on teamwork feats a lot but there are a number of pretty solid ones, so if you've got a friendly Inquisitor (or more) that is already getting teamwork feats this can get you a lot of effective value. Very party composition dependent.

Obviously the guide still has a lot to cover, but I think what's there is a solid base.
Sorry, I started to jump around. Knocks are done now, but thanks for the pointers on Gobsmack and Bare-Knuckle. Not sure how much that boosts them, but it’s still something.

Andor13
2018-11-30, 12:32 PM
Asuras, Linnorms, Raveners, level 11 Soul Sentinel Paladins, level 11 Harrow Warden Monks, level 11 Antiquarian Investigators, level 13 Hag-Called Psychics, level 16 unchained summoner astral eidolons, level 20 harrow bloodline Sorcerers, level 20 hag bloodline Bloodragers, and people with the Planar Infusion (astral plane, greater) feat.

Plus a veilweaver with a Ferryman's Cloak and 3 points of Essence in it can transfer a curse to another being within 60'. Of course that's 2 layers of 3rd party material deep, but it's potentially there.

Since the Malefex is a DSP class it's probably worth a note about how fantastically they would synergize with a Harbinger.

I have to say, I really love the gutter-witch flavor of the Malefex.

JMS
2018-11-30, 12:39 PM
Since the Malefex is a DSP class it's probably worth a note about how fantastically they would synergize with a Harbinger.

Yeah, might include a part on preferred teammates - Harbinger or anyone with Claim is one due to that one feat (Note that the only default cursing Harbinger has is access to Cursed Razor, and that Harbinger is Int based). I really want to play a Ordained Defender Fiendbound Maurader Warder//Malefex gestalt. Has a lot of Wis synergy, unlike Harbinger/Malefex.

Also, I love the flavor as well! So cool, so flexible!

JMS
2018-12-01, 09:19 PM
Good news, Malefex fans! PFSRD Knocks are fixed!!
Also, just remembered to subscribe!

The Random NPC
2018-12-02, 01:44 AM
One thing I'd like to point out, Make Do and Personal Touch don't require the item to be enchanted to apply a special ability. So if you can wield the Halfling Monk, you can make them a Flaming Halfling Monk. Should be fun if you can fit enough levels of Barbarian to pick up Body Bludgeon.

JMS
2018-12-02, 07:04 AM
One thing I'd like to point out, Make Do and Personal Touch don't require the item to be enchanted to apply a special ability. So if you can wield the Halfling Monk, you can make them a Flaming Halfling Monk. Should be fun if you can fit enough levels of Barbarian to pick up Body Bludgeon.
Yes, It works for that, but that is one of the most unique and odd build I have heard of. The other part is that even if you do an Improvised Weapon build, you’re better off asking your DM for a +1 flaming barstool. I feel like Make Do and personal touch just aren’t worth 3 Knocks for most builds.

Lord_Gareth
2018-12-03, 10:05 AM
I have to say, I really love the gutter-witch flavor of the Malefex.

Also, I love the flavor as well! So cool, so flexible!

D'aww. I'm very pleased it's gone over so well for that; I struggled with it quite a bit.

Castilonium
2018-12-03, 10:56 AM
Yes, It works for that, but that is one of the most unique and odd build I have heard of. The other part is that even if you do an Improvised Weapon build, you’re better off asking your DM for a +1 flaming barstool. I feel like Make Do and personal touch just aren’t worth 3 Knocks for most builds.

For improvised weapons builds, don't forget Gloves of Improvised Might (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gloves-of-improvised-might/) and Surprise Weapon (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/combat-traits/surprise-weapon/).

JMS
2018-12-03, 05:17 PM
For improvised weapons builds, don't forget Gloves of Improvised Might (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gloves-of-improvised-might/) and Surprise Weapon (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/combat-traits/surprise-weapon/).
Cool. Guess they go up a rating, maybe. I still need some convincing that Improvised is good, but I might do a build.

JMS
2018-12-16, 08:29 AM
Hey helpful guide commenters, what are your thoughts about how obvious Malefactions are? It rather severely effects some ratings. I would say that an alert or knowledgeable person could catch it, but what skill would be used? Knowledge (Local)? Spellcraft? Sense Motive?
Also, Malefactions are done through Lesser.

Andor13
2018-12-16, 04:35 PM
Hey helpful guide commenters, what are your thoughts about how obvious Malefactions are? It rather severely effects some ratings. I would say that an alert or knowledgeable person could catch it, but what skill would be used? Knowledge (Local)? Spellcraft? Sense Motive?
Also, Malefactions are done through Lesser.

All malefactions target a single creature or object within medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per malefex level) of the malefex, and require the malefex to clearly verbalize their curse against the target (a malefex with telepathy can substitute telepathic communication directed at the target, if she wishes).

Seems like they are pretty obvious, although interestingly there are no notes about deaf targets or silence spells, so there may be work-arounds. I'd use either Knowledge Arcana oe Spellcraft, depending. Knowledge local would let you find a Malefex, presumably. Of course, the author may disagree with me. :D

Powerdork
2018-12-16, 04:45 PM
All malefactions ... require the malefex to clearly verbalize their curse against the target (a malefex with telepathy can substitute telepathic communication directed at the target, if she wishes).

This is the tell.

Assuming that you agree with the cousin argument that spell components (verbal, somatic, material, focus, divine focus) are the only way you can tell an arcane or divine spell is being cast by someone, you might rule simply that the only way for an outsider (or even the victim) to tell the cause of a malefaction delivered through telepathy is if the malefex is the only one nearby (because malefactions are swift actions, the malefex is going to spend the rest of their turn looking vaguely like a knockoff swashbuckler).
If you insist that component-free spells, or spells with only thought and emotion components like occult spells, still have the magic glowies, you might be inclined to give the malefex the same treatment.