PDA

View Full Version : Level 20 Spell List for Hafling Draconic (Fire) Sorcerer

OpenSent
2018-11-28, 02:10 PM
We are starting at level 5 for the Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I need to plan my spell list for my Halflingt (Lightfoot) Draconic (Brass = Fire) Sorcerer/Charlatan. He's got Twin Spell and Empowered Spell and will probably take Quicken spell next. I want him to be fire focused of course, but with a few other options for when he encounters fire immunity. He's in a large party with three melee combatants, along with a bard and a cleric.

Here's what I have for a first draft. Any suggestions/comments welcome!

1 Absorb Elements 1st
2 Shield, 1st
3 Chromatic Orb, 1st
4 Mirror Image, 2nd
5 Fireball, 3rd
6 Haste, 3rd
7 Counterspell, 3rd
8 Banishment, 4th
9 Greater Invisibility, 4th
10 Dimension Door, 4th
11 Animate Object, 5th
12 Disintegrate 6th
13 Firestorm 7th
14 Power Word Stun 8th
15 Wish 9th

PS: the numbers beside the spells are not levels, just a count of the total number of spells known.

Skyblaze
2018-11-28, 02:29 PM
This is just my personal opinion, but chromatic orb at level 20 is not so good. You're using a 1st (or higher) spell slot for damage that is less than a cantrip at that level.

Questionable need for both greater invisability along with dimension door since you will have dragon wings.

OpenSent
2018-11-28, 02:55 PM
Good points. Any thoughts on what to replace them with? Low level stuff like Scorching Ray, Suggestion, etc. or higher level spells like Hold Monster, Dominate Person, etc.

I'm a bit concerned that I don't have a good variety of saves targeted with the current list.

Skyblaze
2018-11-28, 02:58 PM
I'd pick spells with another damage type. With my sorcerer spell lists, I always pick another damage type to focus on. I have a Dragon devil sorcerer who has fire spells as his primary and psychic spells as his secondary. I think I have 4 or 5 fire spells and 3 psychic spells? Lightning dragon has lightning as prime damage with cold as secondary, etc.

Vekon
2018-11-28, 03:28 PM
Power Word Stun doesn't come close to being worth one of your spells known, or its slot level.

Eragon123
2018-11-28, 05:11 PM
i'd honestly consider replacing chromatic orb with a low level utility spell like feather fall (for when your party members start falling mr. wing man) or maybe silent image.
I'm also a fan of Blindness/Deafness as it scales well and is not concentration but maybe not at 20th level.

Nhorianscum
2018-11-28, 05:55 PM
Dip 2 levels of evocation wizard for sculpt spell and start as 3sorc/2wiz. Fill in a 3rd level of wiz after sorc14. Alternately war wizard buffs your saves marvelously and theruge is theruge.

Spells.

1st: Oh hi, we jacked the wiz list
2nd: Ez money wiz list.
3rd: Fireball/Counterspell/Dispel Magic/Haste
4th: Dimension Door, Greater invis
5th: Wall of stone
6th: Mass suggestion
7th: Reverse gravity
8th: These spells are worse than a spell sculpted reverse gravity.
9th: Wish, Meteor swarm

4 spells open. Have fun. This is a list at 20 not a list going to 20, some spells will be very good early.

Rituals for days, feel free to take elemental adept (fire) over empower spell and roll with twin/quicken/subtle/heighten.

Sorc doesn't care (nearly as much as any other caster) if it's behind a spell level, just shove more juice into the upcast wonderspells. You're waiting till 20 for wish but wish breaks the game completely so that's a pro in my book.

For a straight up sorcerer 20 (Those exist?)

1st: shield, absorb elements
2nd: Phantasmal Image or suggestion
3rd: Fireball/Counterspell/Haste
4th: Dimension Door/Greater Invis
5th: Wall of stone
6th: Mass suggestion
7th:Rev grav
8th: lol
9th: Wish

3 open grab what you like.

(I am also a huge fan of blindness/deafness)

Ritorix
2018-11-29, 08:58 AM
Using your list as a base here's what I would do by level 20:

1 Absorb Elements 1st
2 Shield, 1st
3 Chromatic Orb Featherfall, 1st
4 Mirror Image, Hold Person 2nd
5 Fireball, 3rd
6 Haste, Sunbeam, 6th
7 Counterspell, 3rd
8 Banishment, 4th
9 Greater Invisibility, 4th
10 Dimension Door, 4th Misty Step, 2nd
11 Animate Object Cone of Cold, 5th
12 Disintegrate 6th
13 Firestorm 7th
14 Power Word Stun Sunburst, 8th
15 Wish 9th

Reasons:
-Featherfall is a potential lifesaver when you get your dragon wings. Get it as a spell, ring, whatever.
-Sunbeam is radiant damage and blind, and is amazing with Quicken. On the first turn you quicken this and do its blind line again as an action. Later turns, you do the blind line and quicken another spell.
-Sunburst AOE damage+ 1 minute blind is just better than PW:Stun.
-Haste is great at lower levels, but at higher levels you will want twinned greater invis. Can only concentrate on one at a time. Always have an idea of what you are going to concentrate on in priority order; one suggestion is below.
-Don't bother with mirror image; you have shield and will probably be greater invisible.
-Dimension Door vs Misty Step: personal preference, but Door is slot-expensive vs Step. Usually Step gets the job done cheaper (get out of grapple or an immediate hazard).
-Damage spells are nicely spread out with damage types and saves. Dex: fireball/firestorm/disintegrate. Con: cone, sun spells.

Concentration priority list:
1) Banishment on outsiders
2) Hold Person on humanoids
3) Sunbeam.
4) Twin Greater Invis on self and a buddy. (Note the sunbeam blind line, with another quick spell every turn, is generally better for your whole team than just invis on 2 of you. Unless they have legendary saves.)

OpenSent
2018-11-29, 11:15 AM
Good stuffI sincerely appreciate all the advice. I'm going to re-jigger my build and it'll be a lot better thanks to all the great feedback!