PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding a spell

Max Caysey
2018-11-28, 09:30 PM
Hi guys...

My trouble is with Burning Blood. I am unsure of how to understand it. Does the spell do 1d8 or 2d8 point of damage per round?

I read it as giving both the acid and fire damage every round so 2d8, but my fellow gamer says the acid only applies once for 1d8 and then 1d8 fire every round thereafter.

Which is correct?

Cheers!

JNAProductions
2018-11-28, 09:31 PM
If it's available legally online, got a link?
If not, got a book it's from so we can look up the spell?

Palanan
2018-11-28, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by JNA Productions
If not, got a book it's from so we can look up the spell?

Spell Compendium, pp. 40-41.

Originally Posted by Max Caysey
Does the spell do 1d8 or 2d8 point of damage per round?

The text states it does 1d8 of acid and 1d8 of fire per round, so that’s 2d8 total per round. I don’t see anything supporting your friend’s interpretation.

P.F.
2018-11-28, 10:23 PM
Spell Compendium, pp. 40-41.

The text states it does 1d8 of acid and 1d8 of fire per round, so that’s 2d8 total per round. I don’t see anything supporting your friend’s interpretation.

I think his friend is reading it as, (1d8 points of acid damage) (and 1d8 points of fire damage per round). Absent even so much as a comma between those clauses, I would conclude that the intent is ((1d8 points of acid damage) + (1d8 points of fire damage)) / round.

Doctor Awkward
2018-11-28, 10:27 PM
It's 1d8 of both acid and fire damage every round.

In order for your friend to be correct, the text would have to read, "You taint a living creature's blood with a hot, corrosive infusion, dealing 1d8 points of acid damage, and 1d8 points of fire damage per round." with a comma separating the two instances of damage. Without the comma, they are both part of the same clause of the sentence and thus "per round" applies to both of them.

Although in the event he was correct the text would almost certainly say something much more explicit, such as "1d8 points of acid damage in the first round, and then a 1d8 of fire damage on each subsequent round for the duration of the spell."

Darth Ultron
2018-11-28, 10:57 PM
It's 2d8, 1d8 of fire and 1d8 of acid, each round. It's a 4th level spell, after all. Based off the original Beltyn's Burning Blood.

Max Caysey
2018-11-29, 04:28 AM
Thank you guys for explaining things!

This really helped!