PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Definitely Not optimized cleric build ideas

CMagnum
2018-11-29, 01:52 AM
Hi playground,
I am currently playing in a low magic, low optimization, low wbl game.
I am a level 3 chaotic neutral human cleric of fharlanghn with the celerity domain and protection devotion. Feats are dash, protection devotion and pious soul.
My stats are str 16, Dex 12, con 16, int 10, wis 15, cha 13.
If I were to stop my cleric level progression after level 3 spells (say after level 6) what would you suggest for a melee progression?
I was thinking Paladin would get me some more low level spells with full bab, a mount and lay on hands, otherwise crusader or warblade for maneuvers. Barbarian gets me more movement speed (I'm in light armor so my move speed is 45 right now) which is part of my characters theme.
I guess I'm just looking for ideas to fit the mobile, low level caster who can melee build.

ericgrau
2018-11-29, 02:17 AM
Hi playground,
I am currently playing in a low magic, low optimization, low wbl game.
I am a level 3 chaotic neutral human cleric
So a campaign that takes away all the magic so that anyone with magic can dominate. Ugh, not another one. But you're multiclassing out of cleric so good for you... assuming no one else in the party is going full caster.

Normally a cleric dip is good for items, but you don't have those. So maybe some kind of PrC. You could pick a cleric PrC that doesn't give full casting advancement: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1344.0 . There are probably some often ignored PrCs in that thread in red or orange that might do something fun and interesting for your purposes. It specifies when the reason is "does not fully advance casting". Warpriest for example is half casting and helps melee. Not spectacular but at least better than a paladin multiclass. Witch hunter might be an ok 2 level dip. ToB has ruby knight vindicator though that's higher optimization.

Travel devotion and sacred fist are also thoughts.

Hal0Badger
2018-11-29, 05:37 AM
Ranger might be a good choice too in low optimization environment, high BAB, covers your weak save ( reflex ), + combat style. Also synergies with high wisdom.

Gnaritas
2018-11-29, 08:08 AM
Ok, i am going for the "mobile, low level caster, melee" thing you want.

Druidic Avenger (Variant Class from SRD)
Lose: Animal Companion
Gain: Fast movement as Barbarian, Rage as Barbarian.

Deadly Hunter Druid (Variant Class from SRD)
Lose: Armor Class Proficiencies and Wild Shape
Gain: Monk speed, Monk AC, Track and Favored Enemy.

Those two can be combined.
You would gain 10ft speed bonus at 1st level, and another 10ft at 3rd level Druid
You would replace your armor with Wis to AC.
You get druid spells.

You could look for Alternate Class abilities for Rage if it would not fit.

bean illus
2018-11-29, 08:20 AM
Divine Power is a 4th level spell. At CL7 you can cast it 2x. Talk to your dm about getting 4ths

Ordained Champion (e5) is my go to fighter/cleric. It has 3/5 casting, and nice melee class features including channel spell. Your dm will need to allow your deity.
Cl 4 / O Champion 5 / x

Paragnostic Apostle (e6) gives a bonus domain @ 1st, if you need.

Remember that buff spells /etc don't have save DCs, so you can use minimum wis, and buff your physical stats.

If you are considering light armor high movement, you might consider Cloistered Cleric. You get a domain which you can trade, more skills, etc.

10 levels
Cleric4/barb1/paragnostic1/OChamp4 but like this.

CC1, Barb1, CC(+3)4, PA1, Ch4
4th level spells and 2 bonus feats plus channel spell.

lylsyly
2018-11-29, 01:19 PM
Ranger might be a good choice too in low optimization environment, high BAB, covers your weak save ( reflex ), + combat style. Also synergies with high wisdom.

Low op, Low magic, I would second this. Especially if your DM will allow Mystic Ranger (Dragon Magazine #336 page 105).

I do have to ask though, what is your campaigns definition of 'low magic?"

CMagnum
2018-11-29, 03:53 PM
Low magic according to the DM means that arcane casting is outlawed in the part of homebrewed world we are in, the "Imperials" do not trust it. You can do it but you better not be seen by anyone. Magic weapons and items are few and far between (nonexistent so far) . When we got to level three after helping the head of the guard we were awarded 900gp worth of only mundane items. We have fought one abyssal creature that produced a terrible smell and a handful of volcanic humanoids but aside from that they have been humans. I did receive a vision from fharlanghn when I prayed at a shrine to him on a dock so there is definite interaction between God's and worshippers in this world.

Bronk
2018-11-29, 05:14 PM
Low magic according to the DM means that arcane casting is outlawed in the part of homebrewed world we are in, the "Imperials" do not trust it. You can do it but you better not be seen by anyone. Magic weapons and items are few and far between (nonexistent so far) . When we got to level three after helping the head of the guard we were awarded 900gp worth of only mundane items. We have fought one abyssal creature that produced a terrible smell and a handful of volcanic humanoids but aside from that they have been humans. I did receive a vision from fharlanghn when I prayed at a shrine to him on a dock so there is definite interaction between God's and worshippers in this world.

Well... have you considered just going Monk for a few levels? It's hard to get less optimized than that. I'd go for the Chaos Monk in Dragon 335, if you're allowed.

ericgrau
2018-11-29, 11:20 PM
but aside from that they have been humans.
This makes certain otherwise unoptimized tactics much more effective. "Person" spells like hold person + coup de grace. Disarm and sunder both work great. Plus there's rarely magic weapons to sunder, and when there finally is one you'll know because they won't break easily. Metal has hardness 10 and 2-10 HP, wood hardness 5 and 2-5 HP (2=light,5=1H, 10=2H). Each +1 adds 2 hardness and 10 HP.

bean illus
2018-11-30, 07:32 AM
Low magic according to the DM means that arcane casting is outlawed in the part of homebrewed world we are in, the "Imperials" do not trust it. You can do it but you better not be seen by anyone. Magic weapons and items are few and far between (nonexistent so far) .

Arcane magic is illegal? That's entirely different.

So only divine magic is allowed? Then you may face divine bad guys. Unless your party has another divine caster, then you should lose 0 caster levels.

Feat and spell choice can make you play more like a fighter. But light armor with no magic will be hard in higher levels. Maybe wisdom to armor class feat?

Particle_Man
2018-11-30, 05:12 PM
Maybe shadow dancer? They have that shadowjump ability that is good for mobility. Not full BAB though. Also, not sure if their spell-like abilities would be illegal in your setting or not.

Since your god is the god of travel, perhaps 2 levels of Barbarian, 3 levels of Ranger and then go for Horizon Walker (the desert focus helps with post-rage fatigue if you think that a problem)?

CMagnum
2018-12-01, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think the barbarian /ranger could work build wise but I'm not quite sure how to represent that gameplay wise. How would you go about representing becoming "feral" when you are in a city? My character loves to be on the move so maybe he could get restless n the city and feel the urge to leave for a period of time to stretch his feet.