PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage feats

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to create a swordsage character, starting from level one. Which feats should I take, aside from adaptive style? The char is gonna be a two weapon fighter, who will go monkey with a gigantic amount of attacks obtained form diamond mind and Tiger claw. Any ideas?

Neftren
2007-09-20, 08:32 PM
Depends on your weapon set. Complete Warrior has a bunch of Weapon Style Feats that are geared for certain weapons. Take a look at Complete Warrior and Adventurer... I would definitely suggest Combat Reflexes though...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 08:36 PM
I want the character to use Longswords, or elven blades (if I wanna go semi powergamer, since it's still a wasted feat unless I choose elf, which I wont), since he is an aspirant master of the blades (not an actual class, though I'm trying to convince a fellow DM to help me with designing it), who considers longswords to be the most malleable sword to the user, if that's any kind of help or indicative. Though using Robilar's gambit sounds like a nice idea.

Neftren
2007-09-20, 08:40 PM
If you're playing an elf, convince your DM to allow Elven Thinblades as Martial Weapons for you, and then use Weapon Finesse to beef up your attack roll. Two Weapon Fighting is a must. Combat Reflexes is useful for Attacks of Opportunity and Weapon Finesse... well if you aren't taking that, you deserve to be shot on sight. As for Longswords... well just take double rapiers for the Weapon Finesse... unless you're not intending to have lots of Dex?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-20, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a nice plan. Though I distinctly remember a thread in which a member did a very factual and seemingly accurate explanation of why finesse wasn't a good idea. Will have to look for it.

PS: Also, the stats are as follows: 2 18's, 4 16's. Very above average, I got them through strictly supervised rolling. So the char will be able to take more or less anything that doesn't require a class feature.

Ryuuk
2007-09-20, 08:54 PM
You might want to consider dropping the longsword in your off hand for a light weapon, the penalties are rather steep otherwise. Also, with stats like that Finesse would indeed seem wasted, you'll have a high strength anyway.

Edea
2007-09-20, 08:55 PM
Go into Warblade after Swordsage 4, 6, or 8. You will continue gaining access to DM and TG without losing too many BAB points (and you will still get your 4th attack, assuming you stick with Warblade or full-BAB PrCs for awhile).

Also, while Shadow Hand is not your main focus, it doesn't take much to use the Shadow Blade feat for a multiclass SS/WB, and that's going to help considerably. Another thing to look at (Using the Warblade's first bonus feat to gain the prerequisite feat Ironheart Aura) is Stormguard Warrior. This will ANNIHILATE the opposition on a regular basis.

Jack Mann
2007-09-20, 10:10 PM
I want the character to use Longswords, or elven blades (if I wanna go semi powergamer, since it's still a wasted feat unless I choose elf, which I wont), since he is an aspirant master of the blades (not an actual class, though I'm trying to convince a fellow DM to help me with designing it), who considers longswords to be the most malleable sword to the user, if that's any kind of help or indicative. Though using Robilar's gambit sounds like a nice idea.

You might go with shortswords instead. That'll let you use shadow blade, which gives you dexterity to damage. Always useful. Daggers are even better, since that allows you to use the Bloodclaw Master special abilities (full strength bonus to your off-hand, no two-weapon fighting penalties), but that might not fit with your character idea.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-20, 10:25 PM
Sounds like a nice plan. Though I distinctly remember a thread in which a member did a very factual and seemingly accurate explanation of why finesse wasn't a good idea. Will have to look for it.

Eh. You can take some things lightly. Weapon Finesse could get your Dex build anywhere from +1 to +12ish to hit depending on your level and your wealth. Just look at it in terms of your own situation; if your Strength and Dexterity are comprable, don't take it. If theres a gap of four or higher, definitely consider it. Everything's situational so you can't universally discount feats like WF as crap or elevate it to "ZOMG!!!111!!! GR8EST FEET EVAR!!!" status.