PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] A whole flock in one bird

DracoDei
2007-09-20, 08:56 PM
P.S. Cookie to the first person who gets the pun! Sorry time is up... see name of creature for answer!

M.I.R.V. Griffon
Large Magical Beast (Shapechanger?)
HD 6d10+18 (Average 51)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)
Init: +2
AC 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
BAB +6; Grp +14
Attack Bite +10 melee (2d6+4)
Full-Attack Bite +10 melee (2d6+4) and 2 claws +7 melee (1d4+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Split Dive
Special Qualities Split Dive, Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +3
Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills Jump +7, Listen +6, Spot +10
Feats Weapon Finesse, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite), (Feat at 9HD will always be Iron Will)
Environment Temperate hills
Organization Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating 4?
Treasure None
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement 8-10 HD (Large); 11-21 HD (Huge) AND/OR occasionally rogue levels (but without Trapfinding or Trap Sense)
Level Adjustment +4 (Cohort)

These creatures follow the same basic behaviors as griffons except that each one will hunt and/or fight as an individual or a hyper-loyal pack (whichever it feels is most efficient for its current situation), and they are even more likely to seek a height advantage against a foe (and to maintain altitude in any case) so that they can maintain their tactical option. They will sometimes sacrifice one or more splits so others can escape, or go into combat relying on such an escape if they are unsure of the odds, but they are aware of the consequences of such tactics (loss of HD and temporary reduction of mental stats).

Skills
These creatures have a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Split Dive (Su)
Once per 10 minutes when diving this.creature may split into a number of smaller Griffons in an explosion of feathers. The number may be from 2 to 1/2 of the originals HD (rounded down). It must dive, loosing at least 30 feet of altitude, directly before splitting (although this can be partially or entirely occuring in the previous round in some cases), and any attacks the splits make that round must be charges. This is technically a free action, but any actions or fractions of actions (such as distance moved) count against the actions that can be undertaken by each split. The total number of HD is conserved and must be split as evenly as possible while remaining counting numbers. Hitpoints are distributed amoung the splits as closely as possible to in proportion with HD while remaining counting integers and retaining the same total. The split Griffons have the same saves. They also have the same Feats, and total skill modifiers as the original EXCEPT for size modifiers, and changes from stat changes. BAB is recalculated based on new HD ((Should I change this to be equal to original BAB???)).The splitting does usually change stats and/or size class. Mental stats are always reduced by one from the original. The splits also act on the same initiative as the original.The mental stats of the Splits are each reduced by one. The splits can remain apart for no more than double the original M.I.R.V. Griffon's hit dice. If this limit is exceeded then all but the one with the most hit dice dies (ties broken by number of hitpoints remaining, then by the hive-mind's decision). In such a case the temporary reduction of mental stats remains in effect on the original (and stacks if it splits) for the following month. Any status effects on splits that rejoice are cumulative (but do NOT stack, so if one split was poisoned, one was Hasted and one was, and one was in a barbarian rage, then all these effects would be in effect on the re-combined Griffon). To rejoin all two (or more) living splits must do is occupy the same space (they can not otherwise occupy the same space, although if forced into each-other may elect to either rejoin or act as totally separate creatures would under the same circumstances)). The resulting split
it Griffon continues its turn with the amount of actions (including fractional actions such as distance remaining on movement etc) equal to the lowest of the amounts available to the splits that formed it, and has hit dice and hitpoints each equal to the total of the splits that went into it. A split may not split unless it is the only one remaining alive (GMs discretion in cases where some splits are turned to stone, Imprisoned Etc) in which case, technically it is simply a Splitter Griffon (the point is merely semantic in this case).

Hive Mind (Su)
The splits of a given creature.of.this.sort are in constant telepathic communication with eachother (with a range equal to 100 feet per hit die of the original splitter griffon), and are so hive-minded that any mind-influencing effect (as well as effects or parts of effects (such as the hedging out of control from Protection from Evil) that act against such effects) is rolled/applied only once against them, effects all of them, and they count as a single creature with the original number of hit dice (this includes getting them to attack eachother). Line of sight/effect is only needed to one of them to effect all of them. If one split of a given one of these creatures is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in such a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No creature in such a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.

Pounce (Ex)
If this.creature dives upon or charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex)
Attack bonus Attack bonus as per claw attack, damage as given.

M.I.R.V.ed Griffon(2HD)
Medium Magical Beast (Shapechanger?)
HD 2d10+6 (17 hp for standard Splitter Griffon)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 80 ft. (Good)
Init: +3
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
BAB +2; Grp +2
Attack Bite +6 melee (1d8)
Full-Attack Bite +6 melee (1d8) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, rake 1d6
Special Qualities Rejoin, Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves (As Original modified for stat changes, but NOT for HD reduction)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills Jump +3, Listen +6, Spot +10
Feats Weapon Finesse, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite), (Iron Will if original was at least 9 HD)

M.I.R.V.ed Griffon(3HD)
HD 3d10+9 (Standard Splitter Griffon will produce one with 25 hp and one with 26)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 80 ft. (Good)
Init: +3
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
BAB +3; Grp +4
Attack Bite +5 melee (1d8+1)
Full-Attack Bite +5 melee (1d8+1) and 2 claws +? melee (1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, rake 1d4+1
Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills Jump +8, Listen +6, Spot +10
Feats Weapon Finesse, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite), (Iron Will if original was at least 9 HD)

M.I.R.V.ed Griffon(4HD) (For use with advanced Splitter Griffons)
HD 4HD (Average HP)
AC 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
BAB +4; Grp +6
Attack Bite +7 melee (1d8+2)
Full-Attack Bite +7 melee (1d8+2) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, rake 1d4+2
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Abilities Str 14, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills (As Original modified for stat changes, but NOT for HD reduction)

M.I.R.V.ed Griffon(5HD) (For use with advanced Splitter Griffons)
HD 5d10 (Average HP)
AC 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
BAB +4; Grp +6
Attack Bite +7 melee (1d8+2)
Full-Attack Bite +7 melee (1d8+2) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, rake 1d4+2
Abilities Str 16, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 7
Feats Weapon Finesse, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite), Iron Will, (One more if original was at least 12 HD, usually power attack)

M.I.R.V.ed Griffon(6HD) (For use with advanced Splitter Griffons)
As standard unsplit Splitter Griffon, except as follows:
Abilities Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 7
Feats Weapon Finesse, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite), Iron Will, (One more usually power attack)

Treat splits with 7 or more hit dice as advanced splitter griffons except they can't split, have the hive-mind, etc.

P.S. Cookie to the first person who gets the pun! Sorry time is up... scroll down several posts for answer!

Collin152
2007-09-20, 10:03 PM
Erm... now that's what I call Divide and Conquer in action?
Thaet wahs torberrell...

DracoDei
2007-09-20, 10:06 PM
True... but usually that phrase refers to dividing the ENEMY...

Edea
2007-09-20, 10:30 PM
I would've labeled it as having the Swarm subtype, maybe even call it an ooze :smalleek: .

DracoDei
2007-09-20, 10:48 PM
Hint: It would mess up the pun a bit if it could split into anywhere near enough creatures to qualify for the Swarm subtype...

As for Ooze, it doesn't look anything like an ooze... except maybe during the split seconds when it is splitting or rejoining. And it certainly doesn't fight in a style anything like an ooze.

Randel
2007-09-21, 10:38 AM
When I read the description I was reminded of a scene in the old Baron Munchousen movie where the King of the Moon was chasing down the three protagonists while riding a three-headed griffin thing. Naturally the three people ran in separate directions and the griffin ripped itself apart trying to catch them. Its separated pieces crashed and died in the split so this probably isn't based on it.

DracoDei
2007-09-21, 11:04 AM
You know I ALMOST can remember that scene... and, no, it doesn't have anything to do with this creature here really.

DanielLC
2007-09-21, 09:58 PM
How about only having the stats for a 2HD split griffon, then adding advancement to 10HD?

DracoDei
2007-09-21, 11:34 PM
Well... that would be another way of looking at it (assuming you mean the same net effect)... but for two reasons I am not sure that is the clearest way to look at it.
1.) I am not using EXACTLY the standard procedures for scaling with HD (note that the physical stats change with each HD slightly, even in cases where size does not, not to mention the handling of skills, feats, etc).

2.) The listed version of a creature is supposed to be the most commonly encountered version. Since the encounter will almost always START with a single individual griffin (or pair) and that individual will most commonly have 6 HD then that seems the logical place to start. Again, Feats and skills are based on 6 HD.

Debihuman
2007-09-22, 09:45 AM
I don't think it needs the shapechanger subtype. It's not really changing shape but into number. Oozes split too and don't have the shapechanger subtype.

I wonder how much of this should be based on size. After all, a Large Splitter Griffon should be able to split into 2 medium sized ones, or 4 small ones, or 1 medium and 2 small ones (at least in theory) In practice it doesn't work quite so well but it's only a suggestion.

Of course this also means that you'd be changing things to 1. create a 1-HD Splitter Griffon and 2. Recalculate for size adjustments. Note: I'm not suggesting that you do this but to consider the possibility.

1-2 HD would be Tiny [I don't think going smaller makes sense]
2-3 HD would be Small
4-5 HD would be Medium.

In this case a 6-HD splitter griffon can split into a 5-HD (Medium) and 1-HD (Tiny) split griffon. It should be a Large creature because only Split Griffons of Size L or larger are capable of splitting in the first place.

Unfortunately for Huge Griffons, they cannot split into a multitude of Large split griffons but that shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

So yes, a 21-HD Splitter Griffon could be it's own flock (21 1-HD split griffins) now that would be cool a pain for the DM to run but cool nevertheless.

BTW, I think you should lose the mandate that at 9-HD the feat will always be Iron Will and perhaps you should just make this a bonus feat.

Debby
P.S. this isn't some Family Guy pun is it?

DanielLC
2007-09-22, 10:22 AM
Well... that would be another way of looking at it (assuming you mean the same net effect)... but for two reasons I am not sure that is the clearest way to look at it.
1.) I am not using EXACTLY the standard procedures for scaling with HD (note that the physical stats change with each HD slightly, even in cases where size does not, not to mention the handling of skills, feats, etc).

2.) The listed version of a creature is supposed to be the most commonly encountered version. Since the encounter will almost always START with a single individual griffin (or pair) and that individual will most commonly have 6 HD then that seems the logical place to start. Again, Feats and skills are based on 6 HD.

1. Just specify your procedures.

2.I meant keeping the stats for the splitter griffon, but only having one stat block for the split griffon. That way, you have two stat blocks, each with thier own advancement.

Also, I think you should make it a shapechanger. The reason oozes don't count is that they're homogenous, so there's nothing strange about them changing shape or number. A splitter griffon isn't just changing its size and number; half way through splitting, it's still one griffon, but it's shaped all wierd (Or did I misinterpret the way it splits? I expect it to be something like mitosis, but faster).

DracoDei
2007-09-22, 11:37 AM
Debihuman:
1.) The size thing is worth considering... I went with what size things of certain HD generally are... and HD are DEFINITELY something I want to be a conserved quantity throughout the process.
2.) Nope, not a "Family Guy" reference.

1. Just specify your procedures.
Easier said than done, I just sorta eyeballed it mostly.

2.I meant keeping the stats for the splitter griffon, but only having one stat block for the split griffon. That way, you have two stat blocks, each with ther e own advancement.
That WOULD be more compact, but this is the internet where storage space for verbage is hardly at a premium. I was partially being nice so a GM could use them more "straight out of the box" without having to sit down and do calculations to make them playable. Maybe I should put the splits in a spoiler box though...

Also, I think you should make it a shapechanger. The reason oozes don't count is that they're homogenous, so there's nothing strange about them changing shape or number. A splitter griffon isn't just changing its size and number; half way through splitting, it's still one griffon, but it's shaped all weird (Or did I misinterpret the way it splits? I expect it to be something like mitosis, but faster).

I never really specified or thought about exactly WHAT the splitting process looks like when I was making them. It might be as you describe, or there might be a poof of feathers and suddenly there are 4 of them there... or just an instant change with no feather explosion, or it might look like a quadrupal exposed film reel with the images diverging. What do people think would be most clear.

Debihuman
2007-09-22, 01:50 PM
Debihuman:
1.) The size thing is worth considering... I went with what size things of certain HD generally are... and HD are DEFINITELY something I want to be a conserved quantity throughout the process.
2.) Nope, not a "Family Guy" reference.

1. Glad I could give you some ideas. The rules for improving monsters should also work in reverse. This might be helpful:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

2. Since birds of a feather flock together.... I am just grateful that you didn't call them "Flockers" or something worse. I am equally grateful it had nothing to do with "Family Guy."

I never really specified or thought about exactly WHAT the splitting process looks like when I was making them. It might be as you describe, or there might be a poof of feathers and suddenly there are 4 of them there... or just an instant change with no feather explosion, or it might look like a quadrupal exposed film reel with the images diverging. What do people think would be most clear.

I just thought the splitting process would be like one of those Escher prints where the birds are visually identical (except for size obviously). I think I've even seen this sort of thing in Anime. I don't think an explosion of feathers is necessary (or even desirable) unless you intend this to be a comical effect. Last of all, I think it would be an instanteous change.

Debby

DracoDei
2007-09-22, 04:03 PM
1. Glad I could give you some ideas. The rules for improving monsters should also work in reverse. This might be helpful:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

Yes, I used that as a starting point.

I am equally grateful it had nothing to do with "Family Guy."
Yeah, I don't have much respect for that show either...

I just thought the splitting process would be like one of those Escher prints where the birds are visually identical (except for size obviously). I think I've even seen this sort of thing in Anime. I don't think an explosion of feathers is necessary (or even desirable) unless you intend this to be a comical effect. Last of all, I think it would be an instantaneous change.

Debby
Well... it IS a creature based around a pun...

Cogwheel
2007-09-25, 09:09 PM
VERY nice. A few things, though...

First, why Iron Will as the set feat for 9 hd?

Second, why not swap 'em out for power attack and leap/dive/whathaveyou attack? Sorry, just my inner powergamer... >.>

Third, split dive is very, very good. The one problem is that it's overly complicated. If you want to simplify it, I suggest you make it an ooze (amorphous), make it immune to crits (how does it have vitals if it can split like that?), and give it a modified split ability, as per some oozes out there.

DracoDei
2007-10-05, 01:34 AM
VERY nice. A few things, though...

First, why Iron Will as the set feat for 9 hd?

Second, why not swap 'em out for power attack and leap/dive/whathaveyou attack? Sorry, just my inner powergamer... >.>
Both of those are because it is based on the SRD entry for a Griffon.

Third, split dive is very, very good. The one problem is that it's overly complicated. If you want to simplify it, I suggest you make it an ooze (amorphous), make it immune to crits (how does it have vitals if it can split like that?), and give it a modified split ability, as per some oozes out there.
It is magic... it transforms itself into smaller versions instantly (probably in an explosion of feathers). Making it an Ooze would have completely the wrong feel to me, partially because it just doesn't seem right for an Ooze to simulate a structure as complex as a griffon... and I really do want it to look pretty much EXACTLY like a griffon rather than an opaque rubber version of one for instance. The other factor is that it also just wouldn't fit the feel of the underlying pun in my humble opinion as well... It is especially important for this that in not split under any circumstances other than when it is in mid-air diving or maybe falling.

DracoDei
2007-10-19, 07:13 PM
I am sorry but the time is up for receiving cookies... I must now reveal the pun (and bump for more feedback).

The true name of this creature is the M.I.R.V.* Gryphon (...and I came up with the idea a while BEFORE Merv Griffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merv_Griffin) died.). This explains why it can only split while diving...

*Multiple Individual Re-entry Vehicle... the sub-munitions of an ICBM.

Ceres
2007-10-19, 08:07 PM
Now to find a way to kill it with one stone... I'll call the Hulking Hurler!

For_Valor
2010-05-14, 12:31 AM
I am sorry but the time is up for receiving cookies... I must now reveal the pun (and bump for more feedback).

The true name of this creature is the M.I.R.V.* Gryphon (...and I came up with the idea a while BEFORE Merv Griffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merv_Griffin) died.). This explains why it can only split while diving...

*Multiple Individual Re-entry Vehicle... the sub-munitions of an ICBM.

HOW DID NO ONE GET THIS?!?!?!??!?!?!

So obvious...

The Mentalist
2010-05-14, 01:49 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=25&a=1
Valor, I'd suggest you read this, especially the thread necromancy section.