PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How do you decide what flesh to stone can work on?

holywhippet
2018-11-30, 01:17 AM
I'm trying to decide what this spell can actually effect. I'd say most if not all humanoids, beasts, monstrosities and abberations would be vulnerable. Corporial undead would be also. Plants wouldn't be since they clearly aren't made of flesh. Constructs would all be no except for flesh golems. Elementals would all be a no also.

But what about fey, celestials and fiends? By and large they would appear to be made of flesh, but unless you are on their home plane they aren't really there but are more like a magical creation aren't they?

hymer
2018-11-30, 05:23 AM
In peril, unity. In doubt, freedom. In all things, charity. If I felt a specific case was a hard decision, I'd go with letting it work.

As for extraplanar creatures, I think they can physically enter the prime material plane, and that's what they usually do. Fiends and celestials just don't die when their bodies are destroyed on a material plane in the way they do on their home plane. They return to their plane and are gradually reincarnated there, innit?

JackPhoenix
2018-11-30, 08:09 AM
It's simple: Look if the creature in question has immunity to petrification. If not, it can be petrified.

Tanarii
2018-11-30, 08:51 AM
Do insects have flesh?

hymer
2018-11-30, 08:53 AM
It's simple: Look if the creature in question has immunity to petrification. If not, it can be petrified.
I don't think that works. The spell says you can only target creatures with 'flesh', rght? Oozes and treants aren't immune to petrification IIRC, but they don't have flesh in the conventional sense.

Do insects have flesh?
They're full of protein! :smallbiggrin:
I'd say yes.

darknite
2018-11-30, 09:32 AM
I don't think that works. The spell says you can only target creatures with 'flesh', rght? Oozes and treants aren't immune to petrification IIRC, but they don't have flesh in the conventional sense.

My go-to as a DM would be whether the creature has an immunity to petrification. In edge cases I would tend to rule that creatures with organic bodies - so plants, oozes, etc qualify - would be effected.