PDA

View Full Version : Dromites, Energy Ray, saving throws, and charisma

Katie Boundary
2018-11-30, 01:28 AM
Dromites can cast Energy Ray once per day as a psi-like ability. The description for this racial trait says "The save DC is Charisma-based". However, later in the book, the description for Energy Ray says "Saving Throw: None". So now I'm confused. Does a Dromite character's charisma actually increase the difficulty class of saving throws made against their energy ray? If so, how EXACTLY is the DC calculated, and what kind of saving throw is it? If not, what does charisma actually do?

And does manifester level matter, at all?

EDIT: Page 62 of the ExPsiHB clarifies that power resistance is a thing that has nothing to do with energy resistances, and overcoming power resistance requires a manifester level check. Also, there is apparently something called spell resistance, which works exactly like power resistance and has nothing to do with energy resistances. I'm glad I figured that out! So now only the first question remains.

Powerdork
2018-11-30, 02:36 AM
All in all, it doesn't especially matter, except in niche circumstances.

In the event that you acquire, by feat or other means, an ability that calls for a saving throw against a power or psi-like ability you manifest, and you can use it with your energy ray, then assuming that the ability doesn't say otherwise, you would have a saving throw of a type that ability specifies, with the DC for that ability being 11 (because energy ray is a 1st-level power for psions and wilders) + your Charisma modifier. Regardless of your manifester level.
(There may be a feat that adds an augment for increasing save DCs to powers, but so far as I recall, that's only in the psionic content of Dreamscarred Press, perhaps only their Pathfinder material at that.)

Katie Boundary
2018-11-30, 04:43 PM
an ability that calls for a saving throw against a power or psi-like ability you manifest, and you can use it with your energy ray

Do you know of any such abilities?

Powerdork
2018-11-30, 05:36 PM
Do you know of any such abilities?

Nope.
I can tell you that the line in question is there, though, because that’s how magic race/monster abilities (particularly spell-like abilities) work by default. It is the standard, and was thoughtlessly included for that reason.

daremetoidareyo
2018-11-30, 07:25 PM
If energy Ray is a psi like ability, it automatically manifests at its highest manifestor level and can include the augments. I don't know if energy Ray has any augments, but I'm sure someone who is interested in knowing the answer to that question can look it up