PDA

View Full Version : Invocation of the Tenfold Horrific Trials of Deathly Torment

Behold_the_Void
2007-09-20, 10:18 PM
So, my (admittedly fairly silly) campaign recently got a boost into epic, and I'm giving all of the casters the ability to make some epic spells (within reason, requiring, of course, that I approve the spell and all that jazz).

Joking with one of my players for an epic spell her character might create (and going off of the character's personality, which is essentially a whirlwind of sorcerous detestation), I coined this term completely at random.

And now I want to make the spell.

So the operative idea is that it transports them to a special plane, possibly created upon the casting of the spell. The plane then subjects the target to, well, Tenfold Horrific Trials of Deathly Torment. Probably nasties and torturings and all that fun stuff.

The question is, how to make it? Is it even reasonable for a 25th level character to have such a spell?

The first things I looked at were the Transport and Conjure seeds. Also, considering how the DC might work out, I thought of splitting it into two spells, the aforementioned spell being the creation of the plane upon which the horrific trials take place and the other being a spell to shoot the target into them. But the Conjure seed doesn't appear to have anything on creating another plane (though there is the 9th level spell Genesis which can do it).

How would you go about making such a spell? When crafting the spell please keep in mind that any uses of really stupid cheese (like the infinite epic summoning outsider stuff. Basically, don't propose anything you wouldn't allow as a DM yourself). The caster does have access to a number of minions, many of them able to contribute high level spell slots, and other mitigating factors may be made available.

Quietus
2007-09-20, 10:35 PM
I'd go with what appears to be on your mind already. Have them set up a demiplane via use of the Genesis spell, then use the Conjure seed in a sort of "reverse summoning".

Planar traits : Extremely fast time (1 round real world = 10 rounds planar time)
Some horrible trait, either great deals of damage or something forcing a fort save each round vs death, or something like that. I rather like the idea of working a Disintegrate-type effect into it, so that even on a failed save, they take some damage. Even the biggest, baddest, buffest of baddies can't escape these Tenfold Trials unscathed!

Conjure seed : Instead of "summoning a creature of up to X CR", make it send a creature of up to that CR to this demiplane for ten rounds. The opponent disappears for a round, suffers 10 rounds worth of planar torment, and next round they reappear on your turn, much worse for the wear.

Jade_Tarem
2007-09-20, 11:00 PM
The spell puts the target in a demiplane where they are subject to all the biblical plagues at the same time. They get swarmed by frogs and locusts, starved, drowned in rivers of blood, plagued (twice), etc.. etc...

And at the end of it, if they're a firstborn of their generation in their family, they die, no save.

Karsh
2007-09-20, 11:07 PM
And at the end of it, if they're a firstborn of their generation in their family, they die, no save.

What's the ad hoc modifier on that?

Edea
2007-09-20, 11:12 PM
Don't forget the Cheese seed!

Jade_Tarem
2007-09-20, 11:41 PM
What's the ad hoc modifier on that?

Somewhat less than the one on Vengeful Gaze of God. :smallamused: