PDA

View Full Version : Outsider creature type

stewstew5
2018-11-30, 12:21 PM
Disregarding circumstance, I want to give a character a creature type and language to mark them as at least a member of the astral plane. What should I use?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-30, 12:24 PM
The only official language that roughly fits is Deep Speech, the language of Beholders, Mind Flayers, and anything else that has sentient tentacles. Celestial, Abyssal, and the others all fit aspects of the Astral Plane (which connects all of the godly planes together), but they all are bound to specific Outer Planes, and not the Astral (so they're more biased and less general, which is contrary to the Astral Plane). Keep in mind, these creatures don't write things down, or if they do, it's specially coded so that only people with tentacles and Deep Speech can actually understand it (kinda like a monster version of Brail).

Creature type, not 100% sure.

Unoriginal
2018-11-30, 03:59 PM
The most common denizens of the Astral are Githyanki. They're humanoids.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-30, 04:47 PM
There's no need to use anything. Besides githyanki, there are even normal, everyday humanoids living on Astral, though not in large quantities. They speak whatever language is appropriate for their circumstances, and don't change creature type. They will, however, get kicked out from material plane by Banishment spell and similar effects.

Naanomi
2018-11-30, 07:41 PM
A lot of Astral natives are just telepathic

Mr_Fixler
2018-12-02, 03:16 PM
I would actually consider aberration. The Astral as a "place" does not actually exist. It's the place where you are when you aren't anywhere else. It's the backstage of the cosmos. It's the place between spaces.

What's weird and strange and doesn't fit the rules of the universe? Aberrations!

stewstew5
2018-12-02, 08:07 PM
To give circumstance, The character (and class I suppose) has a spirit animal that acts as a physical manifestation of their influence on the outer planes and I wanted to have a good way to make that interact with the game rules

JackPhoenix
2018-12-02, 08:50 PM
To give circumstance, The character (and class I suppose) has a spirit animal that acts as a physical manifestation of their influence on the outer planes and I wanted to have a good way to make that interact with the game rules

That... doesn't really change anything. Use whatever creature type you want.

lunaticfringe
2018-12-02, 10:36 PM

Fey, Fiend, Celestial, Elemental, Undead, or Monstrosity (the Whatever I'm sick of trying to type this creature choice of champions). Sylvan, Abyssal/Infernal, Primordial, What did their ancestors speak, Whatever.

If you want to get really weird make it a Construct.