View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you target another creature with a darkness spell?

holywhippet
2018-12-01, 05:52 PM
You can cast the darkness spell on an object being carried. Is that only for an object you are carrying or can you target an object on an enemy creature?

Galithar
2018-12-01, 06:14 PM
It can't target something on another creature.

If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried,

Galithar
2018-12-01, 08:16 PM
You can target them or their stuff, but it won’t move with them.

Which makes the actual target the space they are occupying, not them. Mechanically you are correct, it's just semantics beyond that but that can be very important when adjudicating a rule or asking for a change (from your DM)

Dalebert
2018-12-01, 08:26 PM
Target something sticky and then throw it at them.

Galithar
2018-12-01, 08:33 PM
Target something sticky and then throw it at them.

That's actually brilliant and simple. I'm definitely going to see if my DM will allow me to create 'sticky grenades of darkness'!! I might even bring up the concept to the Shadow Sorlock in my campaign.

Ganymede
2018-12-02, 01:44 AM
That's actually brilliant and simple. I'm definitely going to see if my DM will allow me to create 'sticky grenades of darkness'!! I might even bring up the concept to the Shadow Sorlock in my campaign.

Wouldn't that just be a net?

Galithar
2018-12-02, 09:01 AM
Wouldn't that just be a net?

No. Nets are terrible. Low range, constant disadvantage unless you use a feat to mitigate it.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-12-02, 09:11 AM
Ready an action to cast it on the Arrow your body is going to soot as it is the air.

Zalabim
2018-12-02, 09:15 AM
No. Nets are terrible. Low range, constant disadvantage unless you use a feat to mitigate it.

That is true, but that doesn't make nets terrible. There's still a lot of low AC enemies that make good net victims if you just have a good attack bonus. People are way too afraid to try things when they have disadvantage.

MThurston
2018-12-02, 09:25 AM
You can cast it on a bolt or arrow. Then hit a target with it.

Lalliman
2018-12-02, 09:45 AM
You can cast it on a bolt or arrow. Then hit a target with it.
Because HP damage doesn't necessarily equal meat damage, being hit by an arrow doesn't necessarily mean it's embedded. Whether this works is entirely up to DM discretion.

MThurston
2018-12-02, 10:01 AM
Because HP damage doesn't necessarily equal meat damage, being hit by an arrow doesn't necessarily mean it's embedded. Whether this works is entirely up to DM discretion.

I think we all picture an arrow or bolt having to be taken out of our characters.

Matter of fact, none damage hits could be stuck in armor.

stoutstien
2018-12-02, 11:50 AM
well if they have compasses in your world that means magnets do exist....

yellowrocket
2018-12-02, 12:52 PM
Stuff like this makes me miss tanglefoot bags