PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath Of Nudity

JNAProductions
2018-12-01, 11:00 PM
Stored on a Google Doc now! Find it here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TL8lJmg0u4Wkfv-QdX0ztTuSs0DdiTxkxGETVPulDUg/edit?usp=sharing)!

I had some people have trouble getting it, even with Pay-What-You-Want on the site, so now it's easier to access.

Old thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448883-Oath-of-Nudity-Paladin-Subclass).

Goaty14
2018-12-01, 11:09 PM
Armor of the Unclothed probably needs different text. I read it the first time and read "your AC is either 10+Dex OR Str+Cha", which would mean that if you had a Dex of +2, a Str +2, and a Cha +2, you could either have an AC of 12 (10 + Dex) or 4 (Str + Cha). Uhm let me guess... 12? Took me a minute to realize you meant "When wearing no armor, you may add either your Str or Cha to your AC".

JNAProductions
2018-12-01, 11:18 PM
Armor of the Unclothed probably needs different text. I read it the first time and read "your AC is either 10+Dex OR Str+Cha", which would mean that if you had a Dex of +2, a Str +2, and a Cha +2, you could either have an AC of 12 (10 + Dex) or 4 (Str + Cha). Uhm let me guess... 12? Took me a minute to realize you meant "When wearing no armor, you may add either your Str or Cha to your AC".

Cleaned up.

And the intent is to allow it to be 10+Dex+Cha, or 10+Str+Cha.

Blackbando
2018-12-02, 01:38 AM
Oh, hey, it's this old thing. I've been meaning to say something about this in the past, but never bothered. Now's the time for me to, I suppose.

Not gonna comment on the thematics, even though it's kind of weird, since that's not really in my right to tell you what to do in regards to that.

Armor of the Unclothed
I don't think this feature is a good idea, at all, really. Let's break it down:
- First of all, this is a paladin subclass getting both a Channel Divinity and an actually really potent 3rd level feature AC calculation thing. I suppose that could be argued to be for the sake of the theme, but, it's definitely above the curve.
- Secondly, the wording differing from Unarmored Defense is another problem; you can get this with Lizardfolk or any other 13 + Dex unarmored defense race to have 13 + Dexterity + Charisma as your AC calculation. You can also arguably do this with mage armor, too, but some DMs might rule that's clothes.
- Lastly, endure elements is not a spell in 5e.

Where Did You Get That From?
Sure. This is fine, it's not really doing anything bad as far as I can tell.

Channel Divinity
Divine Beauty is fine, Turn the Clothed is not; just about everything you'll fight that is intelligent wears clothing, and so, this basically comes up in every single fight, with a very powerful condition.

Aura of Naturalization
Sure, this is alright. It's not particularly powerful or interesting, but, it works. Maybe a bit of clarification on the shape-changing bit, if anything (like how Evasion says a dragon's breath weapon as an example).

Purity of Body
Nothing really wrong with this, just sort of bland, though.

Beauty Unlimited
This feature is full of problems and wording errors, let's break it down:
- Unlike all other paladin transformation capstones, this one is a bonus action to shift into. This would be fine if the effect was weak, but it's not.
- The transformation has no duration, so it just lasts forever as written.
- The "saving throw" that must be made has no actual saving throw type specified. Maybe Constitution?
- It randomly switches from "you" to "the paladin" in the wording; should most likely stay in the second person perspective, as that's how 5th edition normally is, and the rest of the document is.

As for the actual mechanical intent of this feature? Eh, I'd say it's most likely fine. Petrifying is quite potent, though, but since this is probably a Constitution saving throw, I'd say that's fine. If it's something monsters usually have worse of (like Wisdom) then it may be a bit too much, though.

Let's get on to the spells.
Illusory Nakedness
Nothing wrong with this, really. Might actually be useful in some cases, such as hiding light armor.
Change Sex
Also fine. Might actually be interesting in some groups, too, and could actually come up in a serious game.
Clothes to Chocolate
So, this is heat metal, except less situational, and without concentration? Worth noting is that since the spell is Instantaneous, the spell never really has a set time for when it ends, so as written the heated chocolate just sort of stays forever. Maybe make its duration equal to that of heat metal's? Should also specify that the creature uses its action to scrape the chocolate off, instead of "spending its next turn" to do so. Also, since this is better than heat metal, it should probably be higher level, like 3rd or 4th.
Cupid's Arrow
A first level spell mimicking the effects of an uncommon magic item is probably not a very good idea? Especially one that's potentially as powerful as this--it's the Charmed condition, except better in many ways and never has any caveat saying the target realizes it was charmed--which should more likely be more along the lines of 3rd or 4th level. Maybe even 5th, really? The condition also has no way of ending early save for effects which explicitly end charm, or from the caster losing concentration, so it's above most other charm spells there, too.
Enhance Beauty
Angelic Voice is fine, Beautiful Visage is extremely not--you're maxing out a creature's possible primary ability score on a 2nd level spell--, Magical Pheromones shouldn't say 1 round but should be more like "Until the start of its next turn" due to 1 round being vague on when the condition ends, Poetry in Motion is fine. Beautiful Visage is the main outlier here, and I think should just either be a bonus to something, or just be removed entirely - messing with ability scores in spells is generally a bad idea.
Phantasmal Beauty
Close to fine; I'd nix the "once per round" restriction on repeating saves, since otherwise this is way too good for a 3rd level spell.
Protection from Clothing
Sure? This is fine, I suppose? It doesn't actually do anything against mundane clothing, and is extremely specific, but sure.
Soft Focus
This is just resistance but arguably way better. It should end after you make one of these saving throws. Or, maybe not have it, really? It's fulfilling the same niche as resistance, just more specific.
Speedy Undress
This is absolutely not fine; a single failed Dexterity saving throw from a 1st level spell, and the BBEG is stripped of all their magic items, armor, etc. Maybe just make it willing creatures?
Tasha's Flirtatious Glance
This is literally just charm person. Like, in almost every way. There's no verbal component, the duration is 1 minute instead of 1 hour, and you can whisper a short message. Otherwise, it is literally the same spell. I have no idea why this really needs to exist when you could just use charm person?

OVERALL
This subclass and spells really do show their age; it does feel like reading old 2015 homebrew, back before people really knew what they were doing. And, that's not really a particularly good thing. The spells are also so incredibly situational that they probably won't ever come up in a game, but I think that's part of the design intent when designing spells like this, so, take that as you will. Hopefully, you can fix this up so it's a bit better.

JNAProductions
2018-12-02, 01:37 PM
Dammit, I knew there was a reason I had the old wording.

I coulda sworn Xanathar's or EE or something added Endure Elements. Would be easy to add to the page, though.

Changed it to Turn The Unclean, Applying to aberrations.

Added a one-minute duration.
Added Constitution save.
Fixed wording a little.

As for the spells, this was actually mostly Ninja Prawn's work. But I'll still take adjustments-just might want to PM them about the changes.

Made Clothes to Chocolate 3rd level.

Straight up removed Beautiful Visage.

Done on Phantasmal Beauty.

Modified Soft Focus to be one save only.

Modified Speedy Undress to NOT affect magic items. (Until 5th level.)

Thank you for the feedback!

Ninja_Prawn
2018-12-02, 02:09 PM
A quick note on speedy undress: the original didn't affect most magic items, since they'd fall under the "weapons, footwear, helmets, hats or jewellery" clause. And it was already only for willing creatures unless upcast?

The idea behind the balance on clothes to chocolate is that most humanoid enemies that you encounter are wearing metallic armour; the spell only affects cloth products. So although the effect is slightly more powerful (maybe? it's also easy for the target to recover), it's a lot more situational. It also lacks the secondary utility that heat metal has (it could affect weapons, objects, etc.).

Blackbando
2018-12-02, 03:19 PM
A quick note on speedy undress: the original didn't affect most magic items, since they'd fall under the "weapons, footwear, helmets, hats or jewellery" clause. And it was already only for willing creatures unless upcast?
While the original might have said that, the one that was on the document at the time of posting was not only willing creatures. As for the magic items thing, it's entirely possible I misread it, but I think that the wording previously allowed those items to be discarded? Regardless, there still would be some magic items it would counter immensely, such as magical robes, which are common enough to warrant adding a point that it shouldn't affect magic items.

The idea behind the balance on clothes to chocolate is that most humanoid enemies that you encounter are wearing metallic armour; the spell only affects cloth products. So although the effect is slightly more powerful (maybe? it's also easy for the target to recover), it's a lot more situational. It also lacks the secondary utility that heat metal has (it could affect weapons, objects, etc.).
I mean, if we wanna talk realism, most people wearing metallic armor have some kind of clothing beneath it, so as not to chafe the flesh. But, even disregarding that, it still is effectively a mage killer that is far more effective than heat metal is on martials.

Nifft
2018-12-02, 03:54 PM
Oath of Nudity should be a Barbarian / Paladin multi-class thing.

Elvensilver
2018-12-03, 05:14 AM
I really like this spells, and I'll try to get some of them allowed for my bard. (Mostly to steal other people's nice clothes). But what does: "Gains advantage" mean? How high is the bonus?

jamieth
2018-12-03, 05:45 AM
"advantage" is the standart term for DnD 5e, it means "roll d20 twice and take the higher"

sandmote
2018-12-03, 04:12 PM
It might be worth specifying Armor of the Unclothed allows you to stack a shield on that bonus (or can't, as the case may be).

I say that because both versions of Unarmored Defense specifically mention shields.