PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing system

wwenmdc
2018-12-02, 02:01 AM
Hey gang. I've been brainstorming a campaign for quite a while now, and I've got a concept I like, but I'm not sure which game system would best match it. Somewhere between classic Marvel Comics, Lovecraft, Se7en and the X-Files; my players would be human FBI-types that would investigate bizarre cases all across America. Sometimes they might simply come across a diluted psycopath with his own twisted idiosyncrasies, sometimes they might encounter a hideously-mutated victim of an experiment-gone-wrong. I'd need a system that would feel challenging and engaging when they're deal with the non-supernatural threats, but also leaves enough room for me to explore more monstrous/superhuman threats while still remaining tonally consistent. I'd like my players to approach the game using problem-solving and guile rather than relying on combat. Each encounter should lean more towards a puzzle than a fight. For example, when dealing with a superhuman opponent, the players would be physically outclassed and would have to find a more clever solution.

I have experience with D&D 3.5, and am most comfortable within D20 or D20-adjacent systems, but am willing to branch out if it suits my needs.

Knaight
2018-12-02, 04:24 AM
This sounds pretty much exactly like Delta Green - which is a little more overtly cthulhu, but features characters that are literal FBI agent analogues that deal with the suspected supernatural, which is a mix of the genuinely supernatural and human threats that are absolutely threats. It also favors problem solving and guile, largely because direct force used in unclever ways will generally end poorly.

It also has the benefit of coming with lots and lots of modules, if you use that sort of thing - or even if you just want to use them for reference material to get a more concrete understanding of how the system tends to actually operate.

wwenmdc
2018-12-02, 04:48 AM
This sounds pretty much exactly like Delta Green - which is a little more overtly cthulhu, but features characters that are literal FBI agent analogues that deal with the suspected supernatural, which is a mix of the genuinely supernatural and human threats that are absolutely threats. It also favors problem solving and guile, largely because direct force used in unclever ways will generally end poorly.

It also has the benefit of coming with lots and lots of modules, if you use that sort of thing - or even if you just want to use them for reference material to get a more concrete understanding of how the system tends to actually operate.

Just looked it up, sounds like a perfect fit! Thanks

BWR
2018-12-02, 01:59 PM
If you prefer d20, there is a d20 version of CoC, unfairly maligned IMO. It doesn't matter if the system goes to level 20 - you'll be dead or insane well before then, and most of the more powerful monsters don't care what level you are, you're still lunch.

You might want to look into Laundry Files (http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/). The game runs on the BRP like CoC/Delta Green, but the players work for a secret agency that explicitly and only handles magic and supernatural problems (as well as hostile action from rival occult agencies). It's set in England, not the US, but there should be more than enough stuff to steal for your game. Also, the books by Charles Stross the game is based on are very good.

Nifft
2018-12-02, 02:35 PM

That sounds kind of awesome, and I like the name.

It sounds like combat tends to be lethal in unfair ways (which is 100% genre-appropriate).

How does it play otherwise?

Knaight
2018-12-02, 03:06 PM
That sounds kind of awesome, and I like the name.

It sounds like combat tends to be lethal in unfair ways (which is 100% genre-appropriate).

How does it play otherwise?

It's a very functional stat-skill system, with both stats and skills focused on the whole FBIesque investigators investigating the supernatural. The split there is also solid - skills represent areas of dedicated training, stuff that doesn't really need that uses stats. It's not a glamorous system, but it is just quietly functional, with some extremely effective and pretty clever mechanics that also don't really draw much attention to the mechanical side.

That said, if you want more detail it's probably the single most played game on Role Playing Public Radio Actual Plays, so there's that. If you actually like APs, cool, there's a lot of material. Otherwise you can listen to one to get a sense of the system (which is about as much as I'm usually willing to do).

Nifft
2018-12-02, 03:09 PM
It's a very functional stat-skill system, with both stats and skills focused on the whole FBIesque investigators investigating the supernatural. The split there is also solid - skills represent areas of dedicated training, stuff that doesn't really need that uses stats. It's not a glamorous system, but it is just quietly functional, with some extremely effective and pretty clever mechanics that also don't really draw much attention to the mechanical side.

That said, if you want more detail it's probably the single most played game on Role Playing Public Radio Actual Plays, so there's that. If you actually like APs, cool, there's a lot of material. Otherwise you can listen to one to get a sense of the system (which is about as much as I'm usually willing to do).

That's some high praise.

Thank you.

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-02, 07:05 PM
I wish more publishers (big and small) would do more to communicate the mechanics and nature of the system in their sales "literature" (websites, whatever).

Every time I go look at systems, I find them trying to use evocative or cool lingo, instead of just telling my how their system works.