PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a Quick dungeon

tim01300
2018-12-02, 09:16 AM
Howdy all, looking for help making a quick dungeon for my session tonight, I have to work unexpectedly so I don't have my normal prep time.

We are playing pathfinder, party of 5 players lvl 3. Fairly inexperienced players. Set up is they are returning cursed gold to an old forgotten temple to a god of tricks and riddles. The gold turned the villagerd who took it into pigs and 1 of my players who stole the gold snd headed away from the temple. (He chose to roll a new character rather than play Sir Bacon).

I'm not lookjng for anything crazy, just the 5 room dungeon build. 1:entrance/guardian. 2: puzzle/role play challenge. 3: trick or set back 4: climax, battle, conflict 5: reward, revelation, plot twist.
I'm awful at puzzles and riddles, so a God of tricks was a poor choice for me to use :(

zlefin
2018-12-02, 10:50 AM
there's a dungeon generator at mythweavers;
https://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_dungeon.php?

you could use that to generate the dungeon layout/monsters. then you just need to crib some riddles from somewhere.
I don't think any of the free 3.5 modules would be easily adaptable to your need (but I'm not that familiar with them)

Nifft
2018-12-02, 12:38 PM
Puzzles are great in single-player games like computer RPGs, and they can be interesting in tournaments (as a test of player thinking), but they're not necessary for a table-top RPG.

I'd suggest just making the environment more interesting and having more combat in the environment, instead of using puzzles.

Unless you like puzzles, of course -- but it seems like you don't. So don't use them.

Troacctid
2018-12-02, 01:28 PM
I'm not lookjng for anything crazy, just the 5 room dungeon build. 1:entrance/guardian. 2: puzzle/role play challenge. 3: trick or set back 4: climax, battle, conflict 5: reward, revelation, plot twist.
I'm awful at puzzles and riddles, so a God of tricks was a poor choice for me to use :(
1. Hieracosphinx (CR 5).

As the players approach, the sphinx offers the following riddle:

"You need a password to pass through
The password here is [the sphinx holds up a sign that says "barbazu"].
It's not enough for you to say it.
The game is this, and you must play it
Trick me so *I* speak the phrase
And you may pass unharmed and safe.
I will answer questions three
After that, you go through me."

The players have to trick the sphinx into saying "barbazu" in order to pass. They can ask three questions and the sphinx will respond. After that, if they lost the game, the sphinx attacks. Some sample winning questions: "How do you pronounce that?" "What is the proper name for a bearded devil?" "Knock knock. [Sphinx: Who's there?] Barbers."

2. In the next room, the key to the door is hidden in a box of force. Posted on the box is a note that says "Show me that which dies once you say its name. Only then will you find the key." The answer to the riddle is silence, and the players must be silent for 60 seconds in real life to open the box. They can also simply walk through the door, which is unlocked, although there is a bucket of water balanced on top of it so that whoever opens it gets drenched. (Trickster gods find that sort of thing hilarious for some reason.)

3. The next room contains a fountain in the shape of a raven looking skyward with an inscription that says "What secrets does the raven see?" On the ceiling above it is a slightly discolored square. If the players somehow reach the ceiling and touch the square, nothing happens. There is no secret. They'll go crazy trying to figure out what they did wrong. (Trickster gods also find this hilarious.)

Troacctid
2018-12-02, 01:53 PM
4. The next room contains a lever on a pedestal. A suit of armor stands in each corner of the room. On the pedestal is a note which reads "Pull the lever to open the doors." A wall of force blocks access to the door. The pedestal and the lever are a mimic. The real lever is underneath it, and is revealed once the mimic is defeated (or if it moves out of the square it's in.) Pulling the lever removes the wall of force. The door behind it is another mimic.

5. The final room contains the treasure, which consists of a number of silly jokey magic items.