PDA

View Full Version : Damage type fluffing

AchuakScale
2018-12-02, 02:23 PM
Hey hey, so my group has a bard that wants to multiclass into divine patron warlock, but he wants to reflavor his eldritch blast to do radiant damage instead. Should I let him, or will that break game balance?

Mellack
2018-12-02, 02:37 PM
I would say it depends on how many undead you are expecting in this campaign. Both force and radiant damage are rarely resisted, but radiant has a lot of bonus effects against several undead types.

saucerhead
2018-12-02, 02:44 PM
The 6th level ability for divine patron would pump damage if it was radiant, along with invocations that add to it too.

stoutstien
2018-12-02, 02:46 PM
Hey hey, so my group has a bard that wants to multiclass into divine patron warlock, but he wants to reflavor his eldritch blast to do radiant damage instead. Should I let him, or will that break game balance?
if they are going celestial( a fairly weak warlock subclass) i would allow it other wise no.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-02, 03:56 PM
I wouldn’t, let them call is bright shining holy light if they want but it is still force.

Making it radiant would let them add their charisma again to the damage using their 6th level ability, as said above.

If they agreed that agonizing blast does not stack with the level 6 ability I would be cool with it.

Nifft
2018-12-02, 03:57 PM

That's not re-flavoring, that's changing a mechanic.

let them call is bright shining holy light if they want but it is still force.

This is re-flavoring.

Unoriginal
2018-12-02, 04:11 PM
That's not re-flavoring, that's changing a mechanic.

This is re-flavoring.

This.

Also Eldritch Blast does Force damage, and is already a beam of light. I don't see any reason to want radiant damage aside from synergy munchkinery.

AchuakScale
2018-12-02, 04:37 PM
I hadn't considered adding cha damage yet, assuming he was just going to dip, but that is an excellent point. Thank y'all.

Ganymede
2018-12-02, 04:55 PM
Just let him describe his eldritch blasts as pearlescent white bolts. Done and done.

Whit
2018-12-02, 05:16 PM
You can always say it’s radiant damage but still counts as force fir resistance or not