PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.x - What counts as "completely enveloped" by Quintessesnce?

unseenmage
2018-12-02, 02:46 PM
Say I have a space that is filled with quintessence. Say I want to cram as many squeezing creatures into that space as possible so that they're all time locked.

How little quintessence can be between each creature before n
any given creature is considered to be no longer "completely immersed"?

Gullintanni
2018-12-02, 03:32 PM
Say I have a space that is filled with quintessence. Say I want to cram as many squeezing creatures into that space as possible so that they're all time locked.

How little quintessence can be between each creature before n
any given creature is considered to be no longer "completely immersed"?

I think the rules on this are fairly clear cut.

If you have a 10x10x5ft deep pit, there's enough space for four medium creatures to occupy the space. If you fill the pit with creatures, and then with quintessence, then you have four medium creatures immersed in quintessence. There are no rules for displacement of a liquid, or for measuring volumes, so how much quintessence you'd need to fill the space would be tricky to calculate...

But ultimately, the rules for this are the same as the rules for creatures occupying space. Nothing more granular in the RAW exists.

ericgrau
2018-12-02, 06:29 PM
I think the rules on this are fairly clear cut.

If you have a 10x10x5ft deep pit, there's enough space for four medium creatures to occupy the space.
That's not the rule for cramming creatures.

The quintessence power talks about smoothing it around objects. Therefore it is not necessary to cram creatures together, just a thin coating around each will do. The rules are annoyingly low on detail, so we have to default to the real world. The power says quintessence is thick and gooey. I'll go with molasses, since it is famously thick and not many substances are thicker than it. If anything quintessence might be a little thinner. Molasses has a film thickness of about 2 mm. An ounce is amount 30 cc which is 30,000 cubic mm. So a dollop can then cover 15,000 square mm, or about a 122 mm square. That's about 4.8" x 4.8" or about 23.3 square inches. A person's surface is about 3,000 square inches. So about 125 dollops would cover a person. That's assuming it's like thick molasses. It could easily be thinner, so probably 80 dollops (80 oz.) for a medium humanoid is a reasonable estimate. For simplicity I'd use that for all medium creatures. Each size category multiplies or divides that by 4. 20 for a Small creature, 320 for Large, etc.

unseenmage
2018-12-02, 06:53 PM
That's not the rule for cramming creatures.

The quintessence power talks about smoothing it around objects. Therefore it is not necessary to cram creatures together, just a thin coating around each will do. The rules are annoyingly low on detail, so we have to default to the real world. The power says quintessence is thick and gooey. I'll go with molasses, since it is famously thick and not many substances are thicker than it. If anything quintessence might be a little thinner. Molasses has a film thickness of about 2 mm. An ounce is amount 30 cc which is 30,000 cubic mm. So a dollop can then cover 15,000 square mm, or about a 122 mm square. That's about 4.8" x 4.8" or about 23.3 square inches. A person's surface is about 3,000 square inches. So about 125 dollops would cover a person. That's assuming it's like thick molasses. It could easily be thinner, so probably 80 dollops (80 oz.) for a medium humanoid is a reasonable estimate. For simplicity I'd use that for all medium creatures. Each size category multiplies or divides that by 4. 20 for a Small creature, 320 for Large, etc.

I do know that according to its given stats Quintessence is floats in water, barely, and if affected by Shrink Item is a LOT lighter than air.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-02, 06:58 PM
I want to know if items in a container are timelocked if the container is covered but they are not. Could you smear quintessence all along the outsides of the walls, floor, and ceiling of a cube-shaped room, shove a creature in, and close the quintessence-smeared door to timelock it?

unseenmage
2018-12-02, 07:17 PM
I want to know if items in a container are timelocked if the container is covered but they are not. Could you smear quintessence all along the outsides of the walls, floor, and ceiling of a cube-shaped room, shove a creature in, and close the quintessence-smeared door to timelock it?

In our games IIRC we had decided that, yes, it worked that way. Mostly because time locked vaults with lead lining alongside Quintessence lining/sealant was cool.

ericgrau
2018-12-02, 07:50 PM
In our games IIRC we had decided that, yes, it worked that way. Mostly because time locked vaults with lead lining alongside Quintessence lining/sealant was cool.

"For 10,000 years I lay dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?"

CIDE
2018-12-02, 10:17 PM
"For 10,000 years I lay dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?"

Where's my trucker hat?