PDA

View Full Version : Why do warblades hate horses?

SpikeFightwicky
2007-09-21, 07:28 AM
I had a plan for an interesting character, when I looked at the skill list for the Warblade class (ToB). Ride was not a class skill. Huh? From what I've seen of other classes, all full BaB melee and 'woodsy' (Rangers and Druids) classes get ride as a class skill, as do the Crusader and the Swordsage. So why not Warblades? If it's for the fluff reason that riding a horse doesn't cater to their self-imposed glory hounding, then that's terrible... Are there any mechanical reasons for this?

On the same subject, is there a way to get ride as a class skill without level dipping? I'd rather not have to take a few levels Fighter, but it may be necessary. Thing is, I don't even want a horsey-charge-monkey, I just want to be able to fight while mounted. The highest DC I'd need would be 20 (plus ACP), but my main Ride skill target is the DC 10 'Fight with Warhorse' part of the skill, so I don't need too much of a level dip. I can CC ride with the Warblade (Thank you 4+Int skills per level!). Would Skill Focus (Ride) and Animal Affinity be worth it to avoid level dipping?

hewhosaysfish
2007-09-21, 07:34 AM
What sources are available? What race are you?

Given carte-blanche I would say be human and take a one level dip into Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) (UA/SRD) for adaptive learning. Actually, levels 2 and 3 wouldn't hurt either, if you can convince your DM that the +1 level of existing class applies to initiator classes not just spellcasting.

Overlard
2007-09-21, 07:35 AM
I had a plan for an interesting character, when I looked at the skill list for the Warblade class (ToB). Ride was not a class skill. Huh? From what I've seen of other classes, all full BaB melee and 'woodsy' (Rangers and Druids) classes get ride as a class skill, as do the Crusader and the Swordsage. So why not Warblades? If it's for the fluff reason that riding a horse doesn't cater to their self-imposed glory hounding, then that's terrible... Are there any mechanical reasons for this?
Warblades are so tough, they don't need horses. In fact, they've been known to carry horses around on their backs.

On the same subject, is there a way to get ride as a class skill without level dipping? I'd rather not have to take a few levels Fighter, but it may be necessary. Thing is, I don't even want a horsey-charge-monkey, I just want to be able to fight while mounted. The highest DC I'd need would be 20 (plus ACP), but my main Ride skill target is the DC 10 'Fight with Warhorse' part of the skill, so I don't need too much of a level dip. I can CC ride with the Warblade (Thank you 4+Int skills per level!). Would Skill Focus (Ride) and Animal Affinity be worth it to avoid level dipping?
No. Two crappy feats aren't worth it - you want those feats for useful things. I'd advise a single level dip, probably in fighter, so you can get a couple of ranks in it. Alternatively go for rogue (which I think has it as a class skill) and spend all the skill points on ride (that's at least 8 ranks), plus sneak attack, which few melee characters sniff at.

If you want to spend a feat though, I'd get able learner, which lets you buy CC skills for a single skill point each.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-21, 07:43 AM
Lots of options. Something to consider is how high do want to take your riding skill and how much riding will the PC be doing? Mounted combat only requires 1 rank in Ride. Taking a flaw or two would allow you to take Ride skill related feats.

The Cosmopolitan feat lets you choose a nonexclusive class skill. It gives you a +2 Bonus to the skill check and treats the skill as a class skill. I'm sure there are others.

Adaptive Learning for a human makes all skills class skills. Jack of All Trades lets you use all skills with 1/2 rank.

The Saddleback feat lets you take 10 on ride checks.

Taking a level in Barbarian will give you Ride as a class skill and max out hit points at level 1.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-09-21, 07:45 AM
What sources are available? What race are you?

Given carte-blanche I would say be human and take a one level dip into Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) (UA/SRD) for adaptive learning. Actually, levels 2 and 3 wouldn't hurt either, if you can convince your DM that the +1 level of existing class applies to initiator classes not just spellcasting.

I checked out the class, and it's actually not that bad at all. I could go for it for 2 levels and get handle animal and ride at 5 ranks (yay synergy!) and a bonus feat. Problem is, I'm not sure if the DM is going to allow UA (dislikes house rules, and sees the book as a book of houserules).

Warblades are so tough, they don't need horses. In fact, they've been known to carry horses around on their backs.

Heh, I'm starting to think more and more that their lack of riding skill is likely from the showboating class fluff, and it's starting to make sense to me.

No. Two crappy feats aren't worth it - you want those feats for useful things. I'd advise a single level dip, probably in fighter, so you can get a couple of ranks in it. Alternatively go for rogue (which I think has it as a class skill) and spend all the skill points on ride (that's at least 8 ranks), plus sneak attack, which few melee characters sniff at.

If you want to spend a feat though, I'd get able learner, which lets you buy CC skills for a single skill point each.

Saddly, Rogues don't get ride as a class skill. However, if I take 2 levels in fighter, I can get 5 ranks in ride and handle animal, for a +7 bonus (includes Synergy) plus my dex mod, which, if it's at least 2, gets me a minimum of 10 all the time. Also, at 2 levels of Fighter, my initiator level is 1, so I'll get a bit of a benefit with the Warblade levels.

EDIT: Noticed a new post!

Lots of options. Something to consider is how high do want to take your riding skill and how much riding will the PC be doing? Mounted combat only requires 1 rank in Ride. Taking a flaw or two would allow you to take Ride skill related feats.

The Cosmopolitan feat lets you choose a nonexclusive class skill. It gives you a +2 Bonus to the skill check and treats the skill as a class skill. I'm sure there are others.

Adaptive Learning for a human makes all skills class skills. Jack of All Trades lets you use all skills with 1/2 rank.

The Saddleback feat lets you take 10 on ride checks.

Taking a level in Barbarian will give you Ride as a class skill and max out hit points at level 1.

Which books have the bolded feats? I've never heard of them. Saddleback seems perfect for what I'm looking for.

Matthew
2007-09-21, 07:58 AM
Just ask your DM for Ride as a Class Skill. It's hardly going to be game breaking and the DMG specifically provides for such minor alterations to existing Classes.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-21, 08:02 AM
Cosmopolitan FRCS source book.

Jack of Trades Complete Adventurer Need an Intelligence 13+.

Saddleback Player's Guide to Faerun.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-21, 08:10 AM
I'm actually surprised that anyone would use Human Paragon's "eternal class skill" feature on anything other than UMD...

hewhosaysfish
2007-09-21, 08:48 AM
Heh, I'm starting to think more and more that their lack of riding skill is likely from the showboating class fluff, and it's starting to make sense to me.

???
Surely a horse is vital for the more traditional types of showboating and posing?
Shining suit of armour, flowing cloak/cape (crimson) billowing in the wind, glowing longsword held aloft in a dramatic fashion, mounted on a brilliant white charger (stallion) rearing against the skyline (+5 hero-ness if there is a sunrise/set behind you).

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-21, 09:02 AM
Adaptive Learning for a human makes all skills class skills.
Don't have the book, but the description I got was, "All ranks cost only 1 skill point. You still have cross-class maximums as a limit, though." Big difference.

Jack of All Trades lets you use all skills with 1/2 rank.
It lets you use all skills untrained. Ride can normally be used untrained, so the feat has no benefit in this case.

Note the 1/2 rank thing is a red herring anyway, since "you must have at least 1 rank (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skills.html#skill-trained-only)" in a trained-only skill to use it. 1/2 is less than 1.

I'm actually surprised that anyone would use Human Paragon's "eternal class skill" feature on anything other than UMD...
Eh, some folks make a build more dependent upon Tumble. :smallwink:

SpikeFightwicky
2007-09-21, 09:20 AM
???
Surely a horse is vital for the more traditional types of showboating and posing?
Shining suit of armour, flowing cloak/cape (crimson) billowing in the wind, glowing longsword held aloft in a dramatic fashion, mounted on a brilliant white charger (stallion) rearing against the skyline (+5 hero-ness if there is a sunrise/set behind you).

Don't get me wrong, that paints a very heroic picture, but you don't want a horse that's so beautiful/powerful/what-have-you that it starts taking some credit for your magnificience. That's one way of looking at it. Then again, a legendary hero on an equally legendary horse may gain even more fame...