PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.x - Filling Up Genesis

unseenmage
2018-12-02, 06:38 PM
So a Spell Clock with the (arcane) Genesis spell in it could keep a demiplane growing forever, one week at a time.

I had the idea to set up other Spell Clocks to generate materials that Genesis normally can't make and to have the plane constantly growing and being filled with magically generated stuff simultaneously.

This excerpt from my groups game chat dashed my hopes...

It's much, much worse than you think. Each casting of Genesis tacks on another 180' to the RADIUS of the spherical demiplane. The volume of a sphere is 4pi/3 * r^3, which means if you double the radius, you multiply the volume by 8 (triple it = x27, quadruple it = x64, quintuple it = x125, and etc.). Fun times.

And here I was hoping to fill the thing with quintessence...

It takes roughly 3,333 spellclocks dedicated to making Quintessence to make 1 cubic foot of the stuff per activation.

This means that, with the 1 week casting time of Genesis, you need 806,586 Quintessence spellclocks to keep up with the first casting of Genesis in real time. This increases to 6,452,688 spellclocks for the second casting, 21,777,822 spellclocks for the third, and so on.

So yeah. This plan is almost a bust.

Only idea I had was maybe to somehow create a BoVD hivemind swarm that can make more of itself via the feats it'd get becoming a hivemind. Take crafting feats and just make more hivemind and nanite swarm the problem.

Maybe Int Magic Items with access to the spells I want demiplanes full of.

Does the playground know how one could automate simultaneously growing a demiplane and filling it with exotic materials?

Maat Mons
2018-12-02, 07:13 PM
Maybe you could have a spellclock that makes other spellclocks. And then the spellclocks it makes make the exotic materials. So the rate of production is constantly increasing.

unseenmage
2018-12-02, 07:19 PM
Maybe you could have a spellclock that makes other spellclocks. And then the spellclocks it makes make the exotic materials. So the rate of production is constantly increasing.

Spell Clock of Wish for the desired Spell Clock or depending on GM of Simulacrum for Int Magic Item Spell Clocks. (Int Magic Items are explicitly Constructs, but possibly still not creatures.)

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe a Brown Mold, a campfire, and a matter converter...

Bronk
2018-12-02, 09:23 PM
If you wanted to literally fill up the demiplane with quintessence, maybe you could figure something out with living spells?

If you just wanted a time-locked demiplane, you might only need just enough quintessence to keep the inner surface coated, so that anything inside was 'sealed within'.