PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] The Cleaver

Falrin
2007-09-21, 07:35 AM
This PrC is created around the Cleave Tree. The goal is to present a more varried aproach to the feats to make them valuable at higher LvLs when these feats are generaly concidered weak. The PrC was created to accomodate a nex Player who loves the cleave principle and took those feats, but I'm afraid he'll feel uneffective when reaching higher LvLs.

The Cleaver

Prereq:
Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave
BaB +5

HD
D10

Skills
2 Skillpoints/LvL + Int Mod.

Classskills
Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).

Cleaver
{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Steady Positioning

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0| Cleaving Trick

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Moving Cleave +5Ft

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Missed Cleave

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1| Cleaving Trick

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Moving Cleave +10 Ft

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Crittical Cleave

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2| Cleaving Trick

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Moving Cleave +15Ft

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Massive Cleave [/table]

Steady Positioning
The Cleaver can always take 10 on Jump and Tumble checks when moving through a threatened square.

Cleaving Tricks:
-Disarming Cleave
Once During a cleave a Cleaver can chose to disarm his opponent without provoking an AoO. This disarm is part of a cleave, on a succesfull atempt the cleave continues, on a failed atempt the attacks stop. The attack is concidered against the weapon, not the creature, this means the creature is this an available target for a next attack.
-Sundering Cleave
This ability works like the disarming cleave, but instead the Cleaver can chose to sunders a weapon instead of disarming it.
-Stunning Cleave
Once during a cleave the Cleaver can chose to stun his target. The Cleaver performs a Regular attack and in addition the Target might be stunned. The FS to avoid this is DC 10 + 1/2 Cleaver LvL + WIS Mod.

Moving Cleave
The Cleaver can move 5 Ft once during a Cleave to reach his next target.
At LvL 6 the Cleaver can move twice 5 Ft during a cleave.
At LvL 9 The Cleaver can move three times 5 Ft during a cleave.
The Cleaver can chose to combine these movements to take a 10Ft or even 15Ft move or two or Three seperate 5ft Moves.

Missed Cleave
Once during a cleave The Cleaver can continue to attack the next target if he failed to hit. Failed to hit means he missed his intended target completly, not just failed to kill.

Crittical Cleave
Once during a cleave The Cleaver can continue to attack the next target if he critted his previous target.

Massive Cleave
Once During a cleave The Cleaver can continue to attack the next target when he inflicted Massive Damage upon his previous target.

ShiningTed
2007-09-21, 07:53 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what constitutes 'positioning for a cleave attempt'? Positioning to attack any creature you are hoping to take down and generate a cleave from? How does this differ from any other attack attempt?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I haven't slept in days :smallsigh:

Nebo_
2007-09-21, 08:52 AM
You can already trip, sunder and disarm with a cleave.

Falrin
2007-09-21, 09:47 AM
ShiningTed:

Nope, not a silly question. I made this "take 10 when moving through Threatened squares".

Nebo_:

Can you attack the target after you disarmed/sundered him?

The attack is concidered against the weapon, not the creature, this means the creature is an available target for a next attack.

Tripping is a problem. I changed it to Stunning.

Question: Should I limit the Tricks to max 1/Cleave? Or is it alright to Attack first person (start cleave) Disarm the second, Stunning Attack the second, Sunder the third?

Finerty
2007-09-21, 11:41 AM
You might examine Supreme Cleave, a PrC class ability that simply allows you to take a 5-ft. step between each cleave attempt. Although I say that cheese is up to the player, there is potential for abuse against hordes of little guys - see the very first google search result for 'supreme cleave' for a clear description of the problem. Perhaps limit the number of cleave attempts to 3+Con Modifier?

Kaelaroth
2007-09-21, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't take it, but I think it's fine - good for my bro... he likes this kinda jazz.

:elan: Wow Roy! I never knew you had such great cleavage!

olelia
2007-09-21, 01:59 PM
Here's the google search for quick reference to supreme cleave.

It is evident that Supreme Cleave permits characters to move farther than they would ordinarily move during a round; perhaps much farther. It is not always obvious how much farther, though.

To illustrate, suppose that we have a character with a base attack of +16 or more, giving four attacks. Suppose further that this character has the Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting, and Improved Two Weapon fighting, giving two attacks with his other arm [PHB p83]. Suppose further that this character is armed with two swords of Speed, which grant an extra attack each, bringing the total up to five attacks with one arm and three with the other [DMG p187].

To complete the picture, suppose that this fighter is going against a very large number of creatures that he can kill in one stroke; not unreasonable for a 16th level character, as goblins neatly fit. Suppose also that the fighter hits on a 2+ with each of his attacks; again, not unreasonable.

The fighter will hit and continue hitting as long as he does not roll a 1 on a d20; this is a geometric distribution and statistics tells us the number of expected hits is 20. With 8 attacks this is 160, so 160 goblins will die in six seconds. If the fighter has one level of cleric in a god of Luck, he can reroll one of those misses; so 180 goblins. With a 5' step between attacks, this character has moved 900' in those six seconds; this is an average speed of 102 mph.

This type of movement ignores encumbrance, terrain penalties, and wounds, so in fact a one legged man in extremely adverse conditions would be able to move the same 102 mph that an able man would.

Worse, this is from a standing start to a standing stop, so assuming the gentlest possible acceleration—a constant acceleration to the midpoint and then a constant deceleration—mechanics tells us that the character was moving at 200+ mph, and reached that speed in three seconds from 0 mph. He is also accelerating at 15.24 m/s2, which is almost 2 Gs of acceleration.