PDA

View Full Version : Web clarification

dnd2016
2018-12-02, 08:39 PM
Say I cast my web spell, and I choose to lay it across the floor. While the enemy is restrained and can't move or perform actions, can I just walk up to the edge of the web and take something off of his person without any penalty or Dex save?

MaxWilson
2018-12-02, 08:43 PM
Say I cast my web spell, and I choose to lay it across the floor. While the enemy is restrained and can't move or perform actions, can I just walk up to the edge of the web and take something off of his person without any penalty or Dex save?

Being restrained is not being incapacitated or paralyzed. The victim is at disadvantage on attacks and Dex saves, can be attacked at advantage, and its speed is zero, but it can still act.

So, you can try it, but the victim can still resist.

dnd2016
2018-12-02, 08:50 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention they were also incapacitated via hypnotic pattern. So when I wanted to reach in and grab a sword off of the guy my DM says to make a DEX save because of the web. But the web is laying across the floor

PhantomSoul
2018-12-02, 09:49 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention they were also incapacitated via hypnotic pattern. So when I wanted to reach in and grab a sword off of the guy my DM says to make a DEX save because of the web. But the web is laying across the floor

If you walked into the area Web affects then yes, you need to make a Dexterity Saving Throw. The condition of the enemy doesn't matter; you entered Web and are making a Dexterity Saving Throw because of that.

dnd2016
2018-12-02, 09:53 PM
I walked up to the square adjacent to the enemy that wasn't in the web. So no Dex save then right?

Kane0
2018-12-02, 10:11 PM
Completely unrelated question but also regarding the Web spell:
If I Web a large creature and then set fire to the web, do they take 2d4 damage or 2d4 per 5' space they are occupying?

I've ruled it as the latter while DMing, but seen both while a player.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-02, 10:14 PM
It's per 5 ft space but 8d4 isn't that much if you add the fact that most large creatures will probably pass the save.

dejarnjc
2018-12-02, 11:27 PM
It's per 5 ft space but 8d4 isn't that much if you add the fact that most large creatures will probably pass the save.

There's no save for the fire damage though.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-02, 11:38 PM
Strength save to break free of web.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-12-03, 10:05 AM
I walked up to the square adjacent to the enemy that wasn't in the web. So no Dex save then right?

The Web spell reads as follows:

"The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the Duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area. If the webs aren't anchored between two solid masses (such as walls or trees) or layered across a floor, wall, or ceiling, the conjured web collapses on itself, and the spell ends at the start of your next turn. Webs layered over a flat surface have a depth of 5 feet."

I think standing next to it alone is no save, no problem. But reaching into the web area to grab something probably means the object and person holding it are webbed (depth of 5 feet). So a save seems right.

MaxWilson
2018-12-03, 12:19 PM

Strength check actually. The difference is sometimes relevant because you can penalize ability checks with Cutting Words or Hex, but you can't penalize saves that way.

dejarnjc
2018-12-03, 01:57 PM

Pass or fail they're still in the web's AoE though and susceptible to the fire damage.