PDA

View Full Version : Need DM opinions about Gnome/Druid equipage...

Danoobie
2018-12-02, 10:16 PM
While creating the character, I realized there are a lot of useful things a Gnome would have access to
which aren't specifically listed in the Equipment chapter of the Player's Guide. A Druid or Gnome would
probably consider them mundane, as it lives in the woods, communicates with animals, and should, IMO,
have no difficulty gathering beeswax, honey, propolis(bee glue), heavy spider web, as strong cord, spider
and snake venom, large thorns for dart points, etc.

Vials, other containers, and clothing would still need to be purchased in town, but I was wondering if any DMs
have dealt with this issue before, as I have seen no mention of it in 2e,3e, or 5e PHBs.

Any ideas or opinions?

Seto
2018-12-03, 04:54 AM
If I was your DM, for balance reasons, and mostly for practicality reasons (easier ruling), I would probably just tell you "pay the price listed in the PHB and fluff your items as nature stuff if you want to". That's for character creation.
Then if you want to make those yourself during the course of the game, you can, if you have the relevant skills. Making strong rope out of spider silk requires fairly able craftsmanship. There ARE rules for milking animals for venom, so I'd expect you to follow them. Etc.

TLDR: no, I wouldn't give you items for free just by virtue of being a Druid, even less a Gnome. But if you invest in crafting and handle animal skills, then yes, you should reap the rewards for them.

Danoobie
2018-12-03, 01:16 PM
Part of the problem, & hence the question, is that there ARE no items, like these, in the PHB in any edition, as far back as the original texts.
There's literally nothing to compare them to.

As to Craft Nature, and Handle Animal skills, that is the specialty of Gnomes and Druids, both. That is another reason I asked, to see if a DM has handled this situation before. It would seem highly unlikely that this is original thought, in a gaming system which has spanned 5 decades and 5 Editions. NOT that any publication I
have read mentions it.

Seto
2018-12-03, 04:49 PM
Part of the problem, & hence the question, is that there ARE no items, like these, in the PHB in any edition, as far back as the original texts.
There's literally nothing to compare them to.

Didn't you mention glue, rope, venom and darts? I'm fairly confident those items have listed prices, at least in 3.5/PF.