PDA

View Full Version : Is it valid to apply resurrection to deceased living wood item?

ayvango
2018-12-02, 11:54 PM
Subject.

I know that sundered aurorum items could be fixed by reattaching. So it is the first candidate for expensive magic staves. But I'm interested if living wood could serve as a backup plan.

HouseRules
2018-12-03, 12:10 AM
Raise Dead, Resurrection, and True Resurrection are limited to those with "Character Levels" and "Constitution Score". If it does not have the two requirements, it cannot be done.

JNAProductions
2018-12-03, 12:11 AM
Raise Dead, Resurrection, and True Resurrection are limited to those with "Character Levels" and "Constitution Score". If it does not have the two requirements, it cannot be done.

I'm not sure that's QUITE true.

I think you just need at least 2 hit dice and a Con score.

HouseRules
2018-12-03, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure that's QUITE true.

I think you just need at least 2 hit dice and a Con score.

1 HD and Con > 2 also works.

STEP 1: If Con = 0, Con = 1.
STEP 2: If HD < 2, lose 2 Con, Else lose 1 HD.
STEP 3: If Con = 0, permanently dead.

Goaty14
2018-12-03, 12:28 AM
Sovereign Glue can reattach anything, at a fraction of the cost of resurrection!

Anymage
2018-12-03, 12:29 AM
Regardless, if it doesn't have Wis and Cha scores, it's an object rather than a character. As far as the game is concerned, nonsentient plants are objects. Therefore, not resurrectable.

And while you may want to work around this with the loophole that intelligent items would then count as characters, sentient items are considered constructs and not even True Rez can bring back a destroyed construct.

ayvango
2018-12-03, 12:34 AM
Hm. So a wizard could not resurrect her familiar? I always assumed it is possible. In that case the only remaining way is to animate familiar (from WoC web archive).

Yael
2018-12-03, 12:35 AM
Did you try Flex Tape?

Menzath
2018-12-03, 12:37 AM
As I recall trees were counted as living objects. I remember it being argued for some silly reason in a thread about disintegrate.
I think the info was found in phb, dmg, and MM. It's under info about animated objects, and maybe hardness.

Resurrection and the like targets objects that were once creatures but now have the "dead" status. Yeah, weird.
For fun though you could make a staff from bones. Just make sure they are all from the same creature.

ayvango
2018-12-03, 01:31 AM
sentient items are considered constructs and not even True Rez can bring back a destroyed construct.
There is another path to sentient quarterstaff. quarterstaff made from a living wood is still technically living plant. It lacks mental score, so it is treated like an object. But you could gift it with sentience performing the awaking spell on it. Awakened plants retain plant type.

To operate the staff smoothly you need full control of it. So you should take initiate of nature feat.

noob
2018-12-03, 06:08 AM
Hm. So a wizard could not resurrect her familiar? I always assumed it is possible. In that case the only remaining way is to animate familiar (from WoC web archive).

Actually the target just needs hit dice, the right body condition(depends on the level of the Resurrection) and not being in the exception list at the end of the spell.
Familiars are always considered as having hit dice equal to the level of the master(adjusted by a bunch of things).
Also familiars are told to lose no hit dice when resurrected.
Oh sorry I did not find that line in pathfinder.

But since for effects related to hit dice the familiar use use
the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher
does it means the wizard who have the familiar lose a level when the familiar is resurrected?
Or do the familiar suddenly have hit dice equal to his master character level -1?(possibly gaining tons of feats)

Jowgen
2018-12-03, 10:13 AM
Note that there are 2 or 3 versions, in Eberron Campaign Setting, Stronghold Builders Guidebook and Dragon 340. There is also Wildwood from Races of the Wild, though its mechanics are slightly different.

If your making a magical staff out of any of these, technically breaking the staff doesn't necessarily mean the wood is dead. Its just in individidually alive pieces now, that you could easily Mend or Make Whole, but of course the magic staff part stays broken and needs to be fixed as normal for staves. Otherwise you just have an alive but non-magical quarterstaff on your hands.

Whether Aurorum works to fix magic staves is also debatable, depending on how you interpret "restoring the item to its previous state".

Also, the Disintegrate thing is solid RAW, as the spell specifies "nonliving matter".

Falontani
2018-12-03, 11:01 AM
Regenerate cast on a livewood staff?

Also easiest cheese with livewood is to get the wood from a dryad's tree

unseenmage
2018-12-03, 12:37 PM
Give it the 3.0 Flying weapon enhancement and now it also acts like an Animated Object, a Construct, that is also alive...

Regenerate was mentioned, now I'm curious. Does Regenerate fix broken trees?

Awaken will only work if your staff is also a very tall oddly shaped bonsai, because it specifies trees only.