PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Torture

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-21, 09:25 AM
There was a little project I was going to work on that included torture, but I can only find it in the Book of Vile Darkness. Anyone know if it has been updated at all?

Basically working on an 'inquisition golem', a big ole creature with compartments within that it can torture folks for information while simultaneously rampaging or whatever it has been instructed to do.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-21, 09:41 AM
Start with an Iron Maiden, animated, with skewery arms? Maybe it has an oven under the IM, that helps to increase the torture, while simultaneously heating other implements for branding, red hot pokers, etc.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-21, 09:44 AM
Only other mention of toruture I know of are the "Roll the dice and ignore the details" method in Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. But I think that's older than Vile Darkness.

Of course, do the rules there require updating in any sense?

SpikeFightwicky
2007-09-21, 10:06 AM
You should give it high Hide and Move Silently ranks so that nobody expects it.

And an internal heater for some 'sizzling' discussions.

Pleasantries aside, I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any updates on torture for 3.5. I don't recall there being anything about in the FAQ or BoVD eratta.

Telonius
2007-09-21, 10:23 AM
This vaguely reminds me of an old 80s cartoon.... can't remember the name of it. There was a giant skeleton-looking thing that could catch people and put them in its ribcage, and another big green goopy monster along with it.
[/tangent]

I don't know of any updates to torture rules. I suspect "Exemplars of Evil" might have something in it, but I haven't seen it.

Falrin
2007-09-21, 10:25 AM
If it fits your image, make the compartments extradimensional. A large Golem with a whole prison inside.

Prisoner Storage. Ever seen a a big archive where the closets can roll against eachother to close? Now picture Torture Tables with prisoners strapped on them do the same. Golem opens the right table, rolls it out and starts poking. When finnished start with the next.

A litlle help from a litlle friend. If you go evil imps, quasits or other tiny creatures make good helpers or even main torturers. You could also have litlle constructs do this.

Create magic Torture spells. Technicly an Evil Version of Zone of Thruth would fit perfect, but other nasty spells found in BoVD and Heroes of Horror do fine.

For torture mechanics: Something with Fortitude Saves to 'ease' the pain, if failed a Will Safe or confess your guts outs. DC = Rolled Skill ? Mostly it will come down to DM's rolling with it. Time, methods and other hard to fit in mechanics concepts make such a variable system you almost can't make decent, non-breakable rules for them.

BRC
2007-09-21, 10:26 AM
3 words, Ginger Beer Trick.

Funkyodor
2007-09-21, 10:30 AM
If you go the extra dimentional space route you can have it populated with minor demon/devil-lings tasked to extract information.

If you go with the 'couple of casket sized space route' just have some animated objects tasked to perform fixed actions like stabbing or twisting and the like, then another object to ask questions and record everything said.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-21, 10:36 AM
This vaguely reminds me of an old 80s cartoon.... can't remember the name of it. There was a giant skeleton-looking thing that could catch people and put them in its ribcage, and another big green goopy monster along with it.
[/tangent]
"The Real Ghostbusters" toy line had a skeleton toy like that. Don't know if he ever appeared in the cartoon, though.

Telonius
2007-09-21, 10:41 AM
Some google-fu got me the name of it: "Inhumanoids."

Only 13 episodes were ever made. Good lord. How did I ever remember that one? :smalleek:

Green Bean
2007-09-21, 10:42 AM
3 words, Ginger Beer Trick.

That's taking things a little too far, innit?

(incidentally, I recently learned the the GBT is a real interrogation method. Ouch. :smalleek:)

BRC
2007-09-21, 10:44 AM
That's taking things a little too far, innit?

(incidentally, I recently learned the the GBT is a real interrogation method. Ouch. :smalleek:)
I dont actually know what it is, just that its horrible.

Green Bean
2007-09-21, 10:48 AM
I dont actually know what it is, just that its horrible.

The Man himself explained it in an interview.

To save debate running wild: I've heard this attributed to the Mexican police as a cheap way of getting a suspect to talk and which, happily, does not leave a mark. The carbonated beverage of choice was Coca-Cola. Hint: expanding bubbles, and the sensitivity of the sinuses.

Randel
2007-09-21, 10:49 AM
In Stronghold Builders Guide the torture mechanics are basically making intimidate checks against the victim with a successful check indicating they give up the desired information. Also, every hour deals 1d3 temporary constitution damage to the victim and gives a +1 bonus to the interrogators intimidate check.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-21, 12:03 PM
There was a little project I was going to work on that included torture, but I can only find it in the Book of Vile Darkness. Anyone know if it has been updated at all?

Basically working on an 'inquisition golem', a big ole creature with compartments within that it can torture folks for information while simultaneously rampaging or whatever it has been instructed to do.

Just dunk the guy's head in a gelatinous cube until he talks. It shouldn't take long provided his jaw doesn't disolve :smallamused:.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-09-21, 12:14 PM
I actually have a splat book somewhere around here with the Profession: Torturer, the crunch of torture, torture methods, and a few ideas on alternative methods of torture. I'll try to dig it up after work and type up the whole chapter. Huge fan of your work VT, if a silent one. The source is 3.5, so I hope you can make use of it.

Hecore
2007-09-21, 12:28 PM
Maybe the torturers should be constructs themselves? Instead of revelling in the pain they are causing they have no emotion what-so-ever. When you scream they don't flinch, don't even react at all, and repeat the question in the same, monotone voice.

I don't know, but I think a construct that has no emotion at all could be very effective.

hewhosaysfish
2007-09-21, 01:05 PM
Maybe the torturers should be constructs themselves? Instead of revelling in the pain they are causing they have no emotion what-so-ever. When you scream they don't flinch, don't even react at all, and repeat the question in the same, monotone voice.

I don't know, but I think a construct that has no emotion at all could be very effective.

Makes me think of "the Inquistitor", one of the darker bits in the otherwise quite cartoony Drakan: The Ancient's Gate.
This... thing... has been sending out its minions to snatch peasants from the nearby town so that it can interrogate them. It asks questions about a long-finished war, between sides that no longer exist. When its prisoners tell it that these battles for fought centuries ago and the leader are long since buried it merely sighs, says "Always the same lies..." and starts to heat the tongs again...

Machete
2007-09-21, 02:20 PM
It should be Huge with 4 compartments each with a different torture(like big bulbous appendaged attached to a central mouth with tubes going between flike throats for transfer of prisoners). Give it the Swallow Whole Ability from a central "mouth" and a slam attack and some grappling tentacles to top it off.

horseboy
2007-09-21, 02:39 PM
Some google-fu got me the name of it: "Inhumanoids."

Only 13 episodes were ever made. Good lord. How did I ever remember that one? :smalleek:

Because D'Compose was cool?

kjones
2007-09-21, 04:20 PM
IIRC, the Spycraft RPG has rules for torture/brainwashing, based on a "leads" system, i. e. the torturer is trying to "catch up" with the subject, who is trying to resist. Not sure how well it would work in D&D.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-21, 08:53 PM
Alright folks, here is the finished product.

Inquisition Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57575)

Collin152
2007-09-21, 09:45 PM
And if you lke his work, which If you don't, i'll be amazed, but more to my point, you certainly wouldn't like that torture-related spell i posted a while back called Torment. not finished yet, but makes a good torture tool as well.
oh, and VT? As always, I love it. Grrrrrrratzi.