PDA

View Full Version : Wish resistances replace or stack?

Dark Schneider
2018-12-03, 03:53 AM
So when you use Wish to grant resistance to "a" type of damage, that means if you use again for another type replaces the previous one or stacks?

SleepIncarnate
2018-12-03, 04:48 AM
So when you use Wish to grant resistance to "a" type of damage, that means if you use again for another type replaces the previous one or stacks?

I would say it stacks. Considering the sheer power of the wish spell, and the fact that there is no duration listed for the resistance, you could theoretically build up the resistances. The problem with this is that using the spell in this way qualifies as a non-spell replication use, forcing you to undergo fatigue. All the other issues with fatigue are annoying, but the big one is that every time you cast Wish to grant resistance, there's a 33% chance that you'll never be able to cast the spell again. Without multiple people casting the spell, there's a strong chance that you'll get at most 3 casts of the spell before locking yourself off from ever using the spell again. In order to grant resistance to all types of damage, then, would require multiple casters. Potentially even having most of the 10 creatures affected be those casters. There are a lot of damage types in the game, at least 13, so you're looking at probably needing 5 casters, more if any of them gets locked off after only one or two castings. You're also going to need a LOT of downtime. Even assuming that wish is the only spell you cast each day (or the last one), you'll need 3 days alone for all the castings with such a large group (minimum), plus 2d4 days worth of fatigue, or half that for days of just rest and light activity, to recover your strength. If you wait in between castings to recover your strength, triple that time. You may end up needing a full month, with the full 5 caster compliment.

Dark Schneider
2018-12-03, 04:59 AM
The problem with this is that using the spell in this way qualifies as a non-spell replication use, forcing you to undergo fatigue. All the other issues with fatigue are annoying, but the big one is that every time you cast Wish to grant resistance, there's a 33% chance that you'll never be able to cast the spell again.
Not a problem with your Simulacrum :)

Unoriginal
2018-12-03, 05:24 AM
The resistance thing is one of the options where you explicitly do NOT risk the Wish's backlash.

To answer OP's question: you'd get a new resistance each time it's used, without losing your other ones.

SleepIncarnate
2018-12-03, 05:30 AM
The resistance thing is one of the options where you explicitly do NOT risk the Wish's backlash.

The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you. After enduring that stress, each time you cast a spell until you finish a long rest, you take 1d10 necrotic damage per level of that spell. This damage can't be reduced or prevented in any way. In addition, your Strength drops to 3, if it isn't 3 or lower already, for 2d4 days. For each of those days that you spend resting and doing nothing more than light activity, your remaining recovery time decreases by 2 days. Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress.

Granting resistances still causes the backlash. You're not duplicating another spell.

Anymage
2018-12-03, 05:35 AM
Any use of Wish that is not duplicating another spell will trigger the fatigue and all associated consequences. This leads to some really annoying interpretations, especially with effects that require a Wish to undo.

RAW it's permanent, which is fair if you can't offset the fatigue. If your DM decides to expand the list of allowed uses or allow simulacrum tricks so that all the risks fall on something expendable, I'd lower that to 24 hours.

Dark Schneider
2018-12-03, 05:45 AM
RAW it's permanent, which is fair if you can't offset the fatigue. If your DM decides to expand the list of allowed uses or allow simulacrum tricks so that all the risks fall on something expendable, I'd lower that to 24 hours.
Or allow only one at a time. So you spend the 1500gp required for the Simulacrum to get a resistance, but only one, each time.

Rules say nothing about that, and there is no question/answer from JC. Notice that you could also use your Simulacrum to create many 25000gp items to sell, and get much money, even if you don't sell the items to their max price.

Unoriginal
2018-12-03, 07:14 AM
Granting resistances still causes the backlash. You're not duplicating another spell.

I was mistaken, I apologize.

Dalebert
2018-12-03, 07:37 AM
A.L. has an additional rule that anything you summon or control that casts Wish, also imposes any backlash effects onto you. That or something like it is probably a good houserule for homebrews as well. When they pass rules like this for A.L. it always feels to me like they won't just admit they made a mistake in the original rules and release an errata. They're leaving it up to the respective DMs to manage the craziness somehow.

I do think they would stack because it seems to me that you're not under the effects of a spell. The Wish has just made an instantaeous alteration to you that's enduring, e.g. red dragon cells were crossed with yours and now you have been permanently altered to be part red dragon. It would take another wish to reverse it, or maybe a True Polymorph which would only suppress it while you're transformed. It's like if you wished for 25k gold pieces and the gold appears, there was magic used to create it, but now that it's been created, it's there forever and it's just regular gold that would not radiate magic. Now if you wish for a spell effect, then yes, you might be under the effects of a spell depending on the spell, and that's a safe use of Wish.

Dark Schneider
2018-12-03, 07:46 AM
Well if you apply the 1st you talk, then yes they stack.

What is A.L.? I am new on this.

Unoriginal
2018-12-03, 08:32 AM
Adventure League. It's an official organisation that proposes and regulate 5e sessions in various shops and events

JackPhoenix
2018-12-03, 08:35 AM
Or allow only one at a time. So you spend the 1500gp required for the Simulacrum to get a resistance, but only one, each time.

Rules say nothing about that, and there is no question/answer from JC. Notice that you could also use your Simulacrum to create many 25000gp items to sell, and get much money, even if you don't sell the items to their max price.

Unless you're in AL. Then you suffer the backlash. Which is something that should've made it to the latest errata, but oh well. It's not the only missed opportunity.

Dark Schneider
2018-12-03, 10:24 AM
Adventure League. It's an official organisation that proposes and regulate 5e sessions in various shops and events
OK thanks.

Unless you're in AL. Then you suffer the backlash. Which is something that should've made it to the latest errata, but oh well. It's not the only missed opportunity.
Yes the truth is that there is an official PHB errata (I put the link for interested people):
http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf
Noticing the date:

Version 2.0 @2018 Wizards of the Coast LLC
But they didn't included yet. So the offical POV is not clear if it should be used like that or not. They should finally fix it, maybe not like AL but in any manner.

Unoriginal
2018-12-03, 10:38 AM
But they didn't included yet. So the offical POV is not clear if it should be used like that or not. They should finally fix it, maybe not like AL but in any manner.

The official POV is clear: so far, they did not judge it necessary to include it in the rules for everyone. It's up to each DMs to rule that way if they wish to implement more limitations to Wish.

Dalebert
2018-12-04, 12:08 AM
The official POV is clear: so far, they did not judge it necessary to include it in the rules for everyone. It's up to each DMs to rule that way if they wish to implement more limitations to Wish.

Well, as I said before, I think they just don't ever want to admit making a mistake. When they implement a rule for A.L., it's usually because the RAW are causing disasters in A.L. games, which means it's certainly happening in other games. They know they made a mistake but are incredibly reluctant to release full fledged errata.

jdolch
2018-12-04, 12:16 AM
Not a problem with your Simulacrum :)

I would stomp that Idea hard at my table but if your DM allows it...

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-04, 12:57 AM
Can I just point out that to do this you would have to be level 17 Wizard/Sorcerer! I would allow it in my games mainly because only one of my games ever got there. At that level you would have enough gold to do this for every memeber of the party and the down time to do it. All things considered the fact that the chances of this happening are so uncommon that it really doesn't effect the game much. The easiest fix is having it be effected by dispel magic. Problem solved.