PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about magus spellstrike

Selion
2018-12-03, 03:54 AM
1) should I have a bab of +6/+1, if I miss the first touch attack with spellstrike, am I allowed to bring the attack with subsequent attacks in the same turn? If that's not the case, what happens the following turn? Should I use a standard action specifically to spellstrike or I can just deliver a full attack and use spellstrike the first time I hit?
2)gloves of spellstrike (I don't remember the actual name of the item) allows to use spells that affects targets as touch attacks. It means that some spells that are not suppesed to crit may actually crit. Eg: do numerical debuffs of a spell like "slow" (such as malus to AC) double in case of a confirmed critical hit?

Kurald Galain
2018-12-03, 04:19 AM
(1) Yes, if you miss then you're "holding the charge" and it gets delivered on your next succesful attack. Note that you can combine this with spell combat, too.

(2) No, only damage gets doubled. Note that this includes ability damage. This item is not so great because it doesn't work on ray spells.

Selion
2018-12-03, 06:43 AM
Thank you. Incidentally I found that the 0th spell "arcane mark" can be abused to proc bonus attacks if other spells are depleted

Kurald Galain
2018-12-03, 06:47 AM
Thank you. Incidentally I found that the 0th spell "arcane mark" can be abused to proc bonus attacks if other spells are depleted

That's not abuse, that's how the class is intended to work, and the developers have confirmed this.

You may be interested in this handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus).

Selion
2018-12-03, 01:37 PM
That's not abuse, that's how the class is intended to work, and the developers have confirmed this.

You may be interested in this handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus).

Yep, i already read your guide and i found it extremely useful. By the way, even if it's the way the class is intended, in my table i just wouldn't write a rune on my enemy to have a bonus attack, it would break the atmosphere

Hunter Noventa
2018-12-03, 02:49 PM
Yep, i already read your guide and i found it extremely useful. By the way, even if it's the way the class is intended, in my table i just wouldn't write a rune on my enemy to have a bonus attack, it would break the atmosphere

If you take the Hexcrafter archetype, you get access to the 0th-Level spell Brand (http://www.dxcontent.com/SDB_SpellBlock.asp?SDBID=699) that lets you write words on enemies you hit, not just a rune. It also gives you a touch of extra damage. I found it very fun to have my Magus writing insults all over anyone she hit with it. "Idiot" or "Fool" or the like. Dunno if that would be more appropriate for your table, but the Hexcrafter archetype is amazing so you should take it anyway.

Selion
2018-12-03, 03:19 PM
If you take the Hexcrafter archetype, you get access to the 0th-Level spell Brand (http://www.dxcontent.com/SDB_SpellBlock.asp?SDBID=699) that lets you write words on enemies you hit, not just a rune. It also gives you a touch of extra damage. I found it very fun to have my Magus writing insults all over anyone she hit with it. "Idiot" or "Fool" or the like. Dunno if that would be more appropriate for your table, but the Hexcrafter archetype is amazing so you should take it anyway.

Yes, this kind of role play would be accepted. By the way I'm not an hexcrafter.
I think they should have written spell combat in a different way: unless you use a standard action spell you have a bonus attack, because sounds strange that I can make two attacks, but only if meanwhile I had time to cast a spell. Nothing troublesome, by the way, I'll play as it's written and avoid the arcane mark little combo

Crake
2018-12-04, 03:33 AM

What bonus attacks are you referring to?

Erloas
2018-12-04, 04:14 AM
What bonus attacks are you referring to?
You get a free attack to deliver a touch spell, so something like arcane mark that doesn't actually do anything still gives you the free attack to deliver it. So in a full round you get your normal attack and the free attack to deliver the spell strike spell.