PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Special Materials as Armour Enchantments

rferries
2018-12-03, 08:29 AM
Although these qualities are applied as enchantments, an item may still only benefit from one of them (e.g. armour can't be made from bone and silk at the same time).

[Natural] Armour
[Natural] armour and shields are crafted from an organic material, and may therefore be used by druids. [Natural] armour may be crafted to duplicate any type of armour or shield (e.g. bone tower shields, silk full plate, etc).

[Natural] armour grants a natural armour bonus (rather than an an armour bonus) to Armour Class. [Natural] shields still grant a shield bonus.

Special Materials
Adamant
This armour is forged from pure-black metal, sparkling crystal, or some other mystical material that is as harder than diamond.

Adamant armour grants hardness 1 to its wearer, stacking with all other hardness, damage reduction, and energy resistance. This hardness improves to hardness 2 for medium armour and to hardness 3 for heavy armour. Do not halve or quarter energy damage or damage from ranged weapons before applying this hardness.

Adamant armour is treated as one step heavier for the purposes of movement and other restrictions. Adamant heavy armour instead weighs twice as much for the purpose of encumbrance.

Strong transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, iron body; Price +1 bonus.

Bone [Natural]
This armour is crafted from any type of skeleton or exoskeleton - old and yellowed bones, polished ivory, or even insect carapaces, coral, or petrified fossils.

Living creatures wearing bone armour gain the armour's enhancement bonus as a resistance bonus on Fortitude saves, except against effects that specifically affect undead.

Undead creatures wearing bone armour gain the armour's enhancement bonus as a resistance bonus to their Turn Resistance (minimum +1).

Moderate necromancy; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate dead or death ward; Price +1 bonus.

Cold Iron
This metal is forged from ores obtained deep within the earth, and has antimagical properties.

Armour forged from cold iron grant spell resistance equal to its wearer's character level +5. This improves to character level +10 for medium armour, and to character level +15 for heavy armour.

Moderate abjuration ([Antimagic]); CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, dispel magic; Price +1 bonus.

Dragonscale [Natural]
This armour is crafted from the scales of a true dragon and can take a corresponding variety of forms - gleaming gold, lapis lazuli blue, and so forth.

Dragonscale armour grants resistance 10 against the energy type of the corresponding dragon's breath weapon. This resistance improves to resistance 20 for medium armour, and to resistance 30 for heavy armour.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, polymorph; Price +1 bonus.

Mythril
This armour is forged from a shining, platinum-like metal.

Mythril armour is treated as one step lighter for the purpose of movement and other restrictions.

The armour check penalty of mythril armour is either halved or lessened by 2 (whichever would be more beneficial), and its maximum Dexterity bonus is either doubled or increased by 2 (whichever would be more beneficial).

The Arcane Spell Failure chance of mythril armour is either halved or reduced by 10% (whichever would be more beneficial).

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, glitterdust; Price +1 bonus.

Silk [Natural]
This armour is crafted from the finest silk, and usually resembles a gown or robe more than a suit of armour.

Creatures wearing silk armour are completely unencumbered - it may be worn by druids, monks, arcane spellcasters, or any other character with a class restriction on suitable armour.

Silk shields are often incorporated directly into silk armour e.g. as flowing sleeves rather than as a separate item.

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, summon swarm; Price +1 bonus.

Sylvan [Natural]
This armour is crafted from plants - bark, wood, or even leaves. The armour may appear to be alive (e.g. with perpetually blooming flowers or fresh shoots), and may even change its appearance with the passing of the seasons.

Druids, rangers, and clerics with the Plant domain gain a +1 enhancement bonus to their caster level while wearing sylvan armour.

Strong transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, barkskin; Price +1 bonus.

rferries
2018-12-03, 08:30 AM
Here's an attempt to improve & streamline the traditional benefits of special materials and their relation to crafting, and to work in some personal house-rules (especially "organic armours should give natural armour bonuses", "dragon armour should give energy resistance", etc).

For the purposes of these rules, armour crafted from a special material can only be created by a spellcaster. A mundane simply character doesn't know how to unlock the powers of these materials. At the DM's option, PCs who provide the special materials (e.g. by collecting a dragon's hide, cultivating special trees, etc) can reduce or waive the creation costs.

A big advantage of the [Natural] armours is that martials can wear them and benefit from an amulet of natural armour and bracers or armour all at the same time. In general, I tried to strike a balance of "better abilities for heavier armours".

Grayhoss
2018-12-05, 08:33 PM
Ok, perhaps its the imp of the perverse in me, but.. Why not mixed materials? For example, a silk armor 'strung' with countless beads of Bone or Cold Iron?
No criticism intended, of course. I love this idea.

AOKost
2018-12-10, 01:25 AM
I love the themes of these, but I have one slight problem, and that is with Adamant. You last entry about it increasing in weight throws a thorn I dislike, especially since Adamantium weighs as much as Iron/Steel.

I love that you made them more like a weapon bonus, but I think I might steel these so they can be added as enchantments/enhancements for any armor. A "monk' wants to have a "Silk" full plate, then sure! They've needed something since their dawn XD

rferries
2018-12-17, 03:02 AM
Ok, perhaps its the imp of the perverse in me, but.. Why not mixed materials? For example, a silk armor 'strung' with countless beads of Bone or Cold Iron?
No criticism intended, of course. I love this idea.

It was more for flavour and verisimilitude - in the same way that a weapon can't be both holy and unholy. However I've no objection if it can be rationalised like your bead idea :)

I love the themes of these, but I have one slight problem, and that is with Adamant. You last entry about it increasing in weight throws a thorn I dislike, especially since Adamantium weighs as much as Iron/Steel.

I was making a (half-hearted) attempt to balance the qualities; the adamant weight can easily be dropped though the property should be worth at least a +2 bonus in that case.

I love that you made them more like a weapon bonus, but I think I might steel these so they can be added as enchantments/enhancements for any armor. A "monk' wants to have a "Silk" full plate, then sure! They've needed something since their dawn XD

Yep, that was the idea! I used silk full plate as an example, even :D