PDA

View Full Version : Threads not being marked as read

Citizen Joe
2007-09-21, 09:59 AM
Recently (last week or so) the green/brown circle to the left of threads has not been updating to indicate thread have been read for me. Only some of the thread update. Usually occurs after I post into the thread, but not always. I can use the mark forum as read to clear all of them.

Anyway, is it something I've done? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-21, 10:08 AM
Recently (last week or so) the green/brown circle to the left of threads has not been updating to indicate thread have been read for me. Only some of the thread update. Usually occurs after I post into the thread, but not always. I can use the mark forum as read to clear all of them.
Hm. Only times I've really seen this is the result of simuposting. Although the thread refreshes with my post, it doesn't register me as reading the post(s) that were made above me while I was typing.

I've heard tell you can also get wonky behavior when browsing multiple threads simultaneously via tabbed browsing or new windows.

Any chance it's also a caching issue?

banjo1985
2007-09-21, 10:21 AM
It also happens when the comment you post starts a new page, at least it does for me, that's the only time I've encountered this problem though.

Skippy
2007-09-21, 10:23 AM
It also happens when the comment you post starts a new page, at least it does for me, that's the only time I've encountered this problem though.

Yup, same here. Only when I start a new page.

Vuurmeester
2007-09-21, 12:19 PM
Since this board seems to use cookies for marking threads read I'll tell you a piece of wisdom I have:

Cookie based read markers are less reliable than server side read markers, as such any bbs or similar system using cookies to handle this has reliability problems unless they find a very effective way around it. All these behaviors are common for cookie based read markers.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-22, 11:30 AM
OK I figured out the problem. I've been keeping my browser open continuously for days/weeks of surfing. Eventually, it starts throwing lookup errors. At that point, I do a shut down and start up again and everything works fine. I think I just reached some sort of lookup table limit in memory. Restarting clears the cache.