PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand cleric domains

Dhoule
2018-12-03, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure why, but our DM believes the cleric must choose one of her two domains each day she prepares her spells. That choice would grant her that domain power, as well as the ability to prepare the spells from that domain in the domain slots.

However, the choice means she cannot benefit from the other domain power, nor is she able to prepare any spell from the other domain. Basically, she can benefit only from one domain each day.

When I read the cleric description, I thought the domain powers were both permanent, and that you could combine the spells prepared for the domain slots from whichever domains you had. But now I'm not 100% sure, and I can't find an explanation that makes it clear (as the example the PHB provides is from a level 1 cleric, and it doesn't help much).

Am I mistaken? And, if not, how can I convince my DM of his mistake (in case it's not a houserule, which may be a possibility)?

Thanks!

DrMotives
2018-12-03, 09:22 AM
You are 100% correct. For contrast, see the planar domains, an optional set of domains where a cleric only gets 1 domain flavoured by an Outer Plane. As they only have 1 domain, each one offers 2 choices of spells per spell level. And while they only get a single granted power, that power is supposed to be a bit more powerful than the core domains.

Luckmann
2018-12-03, 09:34 AM
I'm AWB so I can't start looking for RAW, but you are 100% correct. Your GM may houserule it, but if this is how he thinks it works, he's wrong.

Kish
2018-12-03, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure why a first-level cleric example wouldn't help for the domain powers, though I can see why it would be "pick one spell or the other."

Here:

Each domain gives the cleric access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up, as well as a granted power. The cleric gets the granted powers of both the domains selected.

With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm)
Show your DM this.

Dhoule
2018-12-03, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid that won't do. It doesn't seem to be a houserule, just the way he understands it. And unless I'm able to find a printed source with an example of a somewhat higher leveled cleric with spells prepared from different domains at the same time, he probably won't change his mind.

And I'm certain he believes he is right and I'm wrong, due to the difference between our experience. So I don't want to push this too much, unless it's a crystal clear example :/

Btw, we are Spaniards, and the sources in Spanish are more scarce, so that's another handicap.

Kish
2018-12-03, 12:38 PM
He doesn't read English, or he won't believe what the English System Reference Document says?

There are sample clerics in the Dungeon Master's Guide's NPCs section, aren't there? I've used the SRD for long enough that I'm not sure where my DMG is, but I'd be surprised if none of them had multiple domain spells prepared.

DeTess
2018-12-03, 12:42 PM
In the DMG, on page 114 there's a 5th level cleric with the healing and protection domain, with spells from both prepared.

Blue Jay
2018-12-03, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid that won't do. It doesn't seem to be a houserule, just the way he understands it. And unless I'm able to find a printed source with an example of a somewhat higher leveled cleric with spells prepared from different domains at the same time, he probably won't change his mind.

And I'm certain he believes he is right and I'm wrong, due to the difference between our experience. So I don't want to push this too much, unless it's a crystal clear example :/

Btw, we are Spaniards, and the sources in Spanish are more scarce, so that's another handicap.

Have you got Monster Monster 4? There's a Drow Priestess under the "Elf, Drow" entry. She's an 8th-level cleric with the Evil and Destruction domains. Some of her prepared domain spells are magic circle vs good (Evil) at 3rd, and shatter (Destruction) at 2nd.

Dhoule
2018-12-03, 01:11 PM
Yeah, he doesn't read from English sources because he doesn't understand it. But I didn't know about the DMG example, and I think that might be a really good chance, I'll try it. Not sure if he has the MM4, so I'll keep that aside, for now.

Thanks!

DEMON
2018-12-03, 01:44 PM
Complete Divine. Contemplative.

The sample NPC has domain spells prepared from all 3 of his domains.

Although, given how many sample characters are full of mistakes, I doubt this is going to be what it takes to convince him.

bean illus
2018-12-03, 02:33 PM
1. You get 1 domain slot per spell level.
2. They must be spent on any one of your domain list, mixing as you like.
3. All your domain spells are also on your spell list, and can be prepared at any time in a normal slot. see below, 2 post down.
4. All domain's powers you posses are available at all times, concurrently.
5. The entire domain (spell list and power) can be traded for a devotion feat at choosing, or later at any time retraining rules allow per dm.
6. Many prcs clearly state 'choose any domain'.
7. It's quite feasible to get 10+ domains (some of which deliver substantial power).

Ordained champion swaps spontaneous conversion of prepared spells to heal spells for war domain spells. Doesn't* mix with *.

*Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF: Swap* spontaneously cast cure/inflict spells to spontaneously cast spells from a domain.

Substitute Domain spell Cl 2: swap 1 of your current domains for another that your deity offers. Gain the granted power of new domain, an access to any of its spells ...

*... but does with ...
Spontaneous Domains feat allows you to leave the domain slots open and cast them spontaneously from any domain you know. This stacks with Substitute Domain.

Domain Spontaneity feat: Each time you take this choose a domain that you have. You may convert prepared divine spells into spontaneous spells from that domain.

The bottom 3 work well together with either Och or the phb acf, but not at the same time.

Anthrowhale
2018-12-03, 03:15 PM
Monsters with clerical casting exhibit the ability to draw spells from different domains at different levels. Examples:
Planetar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelPlanetar) (destruction, good)
Solar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelSolar) (Air, War).
Androsphinx (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sphinx.htm#androsphinx) (Good, Protection)
... there are more.

Blue Jay
2018-12-03, 04:47 PM
3. All your domain spells are also on your spell list, and can be prepared at any time in a normal slot.

I'm pretty sure this one is incorrect.

From the SRD cleric entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) ("Deity, Domains and Domain Spells" section):

"If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot."

bean illus
2018-12-03, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure this one is incorrect.

From the SRD cleric entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) ("Deity, Domains and Domain Spells" section):

"If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot."

I did not know that. Thanks