PDA

View Full Version : Create Demiplane: Dark, filled with water, and bountiful

Zhentarim
2018-12-03, 09:08 AM
The Create Demiplane series of spells has always captured my imagination—perhaps more than the game creators intended. My question is, if a plane is dark and filled with water, what would the bountiful quality add? Fungi are the default “plant” for dark demiplanes, but Fungus cannot survive underwater. Kelp is the default plant for aquatic planes, but kelp needs bright or normal light to survive.

What edible flora would be found in a dark aquatic bountiful demiplane?

Would a portal to an aquatic demiplane gush out water?

Would an aquatic demiplane activate an Undine’s Hydrated Vitality power?

Glimbur
2018-12-03, 09:27 AM
The deep ocean has life based around thermal vents. You would probably see something similar, though maybe without the pressure adaptation.

Pleh
2018-12-03, 09:31 AM
Point 1) this is fantasy. You can fill your demiplane with anything.

Fungi are the default “plant” for dark demiplanes, but Fungus cannot survive underwater.

My google fu says that Marine Fungi is a real thing.

Kelp is the default plant for aquatic planes, but kelp needs bright or normal light to survive.

Every plant will need light, but how much is a more flexible issue. Some will be able to endure very dim light.

What edible flora would be found in a dark aquatic bountiful demiplane?

It depends a bit on how you define edible. Phytoplankton are a common plant in large aquatic bodies.

Would a portal to an aquatic demiplane gush out water?

It depends on the spell description. I usually rule it that way.

Would an aquatic demiplane activate an Undine’s Hydrated Vitality power?

Probably. If the demiplane specifically prevents the water from ever flowing internally, it would eventually stagnate and not trigger Hydrates Vitality. I assume you weren't wanting to consider the whole demiplane poisoned, but that would prevent it as well.

As long as the water is free to flow around, it will likely find a reason to do so and it should trigger Hydrated Vitality.

Zhentarim
2018-12-03, 12:09 PM
Point 1) this is fantasy. You can fill your demiplane with anything.

My google fu says that Marine Fungi is a real thing.

Every plant will need light, but how much is a more flexible issue. Some will be able to endure very dim light.

It depends a bit on how you define edible. Phytoplankton are a common plant in large aquatic bodies.

It depends on the spell description. I usually rule it that way.

Probably. If the demiplane specifically prevents the water from ever flowing internally, it would eventually stagnate and not trigger Hydrates Vitality. I assume you weren't wanting to consider the whole demiplane poisoned, but that would prevent it as well.

As long as the water is free to flow around, it will likely find a reason to do so and it should trigger Hydrated Vitality.

Sounds like I will just ask my DM how he interprets the confluence of these planar traits.

unseenmage
2018-12-03, 12:32 PM
Both the Ethereal and Shadow planes could have native dark-adapted versions of material plane aquatic life as well.

Perhaps Plane Shift over and take some cuttings.

tyckspoon
2018-12-03, 12:43 PM
I'd probably use the Underdark handwave: The demiplane is populated by plants that use magic as their energy source rather than light. Since the whole demiplane is magically created and sustained in the first place this energy is abundant and quickly results in large populations of plants. Possible bonus: since these plants aren't being grown by a real-world energy source they don't need to be bound to real-world designs - your magically grown darkwater plants can look and behave in all sorts of weird ways that wouldn't make any sense for a photosynthesizing plant.