View Full Version : Darkvision and Perception

EggKookoo
2018-12-03, 09:14 AM
This JC tweet (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/06/06/so-a-darkvision-party-who-refuse-to-bring-torches-or-use-light-should-still-be-getting-disadvantage/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost&fbclid=IwAR3KJr4-mrHMtBPHpVQxwqu1PmA-W4nhkmA3LFPXgQaiqyXzxsPzdFk3H34) says that you have disadvantage on perception checks that rely on sight, even if you have Darkvision. But the rules for Darkvision (typically) say that you can "see in dim light ... as if it were bright light..."

So does a creature with Darkvision suffer disadvantage on these checks when searching in an area of dim light, which functions as bright light to its eyes? JC's tweet seems to imply so but that doesn't really make sense.

Millstone85
2018-12-03, 09:18 AM
You have to consider the context here.

Crawford was asked "Do characters with darkvision have disadv on perception in darkness since it's treated as dim light & lightly obscured?".

Unoriginal
2018-12-03, 09:21 AM
This JC tweet (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/06/06/so-a-darkvision-party-who-refuse-to-bring-torches-or-use-light-should-still-be-getting-disadvantage/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost&fbclid=IwAR3KJr4-mrHMtBPHpVQxwqu1PmA-W4nhkmA3LFPXgQaiqyXzxsPzdFk3H34) says that you have disadvantage on perception checks that rely on sight, even if you have Darkvision. But the rules for Darkvision (typically) say that you can "see in dim light ... as if it were bright light..."

So does a creature with Darkvision suffer disadvantage on these checks when searching in an area of dim light, which functions as bright light to its eyes? JC's tweet seems to imply so but that doesn't really make sense.

Crawford is just saying that in complete darkness, people with Darkvision see as if in dim light, so it gives them disadvantage

EggKookoo
2018-12-03, 09:35 AM
Ok, I get it. The original question meant if the party was in complete darkness.

darknite
2018-12-03, 09:54 AM
As mentioned. One reason I'll often take Dancing Lights as a cantrip for PCs with Darkvision.

Naanomi
2018-12-03, 10:13 AM
As mentioned. One reason I'll often take Dancing Lights as a cantrip for PCs with Darkvision.
Or the Skulker feat

Coffee_Dragon
2018-12-03, 12:19 PM
I pick Skulking Lights for maximum feature economy

Keravath
2018-12-03, 11:02 PM
Or go warlock if you truly want to see in the dark :)

Dalebert
2018-12-03, 11:58 PM
Or go warlock if you truly want to see in the dark :)

But then you still have disadvantage in dim light unless you also have darkvision. Freaky.

4 rlz tho, make sure you remind your DM about the disadvantage to perception rolls that most monsters will have trying to find your sneaky rogue.

jdolch
2018-12-04, 12:05 AM
Half-elf Shadow Sorcerer :P

But yeah i wouldn't worry so much about it. There are so many different (and cheap) ways to counteract the effects of darkness.