PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spirit-Touched Eidolon Binder Level?

Dr. Cliché
2018-12-03, 12:04 PM
I'm making a summoner for an upcoming campaign and am currently working on his Eidolon.

I thought the spirit-touched Evolution looked interesting:

Spirit Touched:
"The eidolon is spirit-touched, granting it 1 minor granted ability from a 1st level spirit of the summoner’s choice. Each time the eidolon is summoned, it manifests the same granted ability as well as the physical sign and influence of that spirit."

Moreover, I found the perfect spirit and ability for my Eidolon - Sevnoir, the Meandering Mastiff.

And this minor ability:
"Feast on Fear: Whenever you deal damage with a weapon or supernatural attack against a creature that is suffering from a fear effect, you are healed a number of points of hit point damage equal to 1/2 your binder level. You can only gain this healing once per turn."

However, I then realised that it mentioned Binder Level. Does a Spirit-Touched Eidolon count as having a binder level for the purposes of this ability? Does it use my Summoner level? It's hit dice number? Or does this ability just not work at all with Eidolons?

exelsisxax
2018-12-03, 12:27 PM
I'm making a summoner for an upcoming campaign and am currently working on his Eidolon.

I thought the spirit-touched Evolution looked interesting:

Spirit Touched:
"The eidolon is spirit-touched, granting it 1 minor granted ability from a 1st level spirit of the summoner’s choice. Each time the eidolon is summoned, it manifests the same granted ability as well as the physical sign and influence of that spirit."

Moreover, I found the perfect spirit and ability for my Eidolon - Sevnoir, the Meandering Mastiff.

And this minor ability:
"Feast on Fear: Whenever you deal damage with a weapon or supernatural attack against a creature that is suffering from a fear effect, you are healed a number of points of hit point damage equal to 1/2 your binder level. You can only gain this healing once per turn."

However, I then realised that it mentioned Binder Level. Does a Spirit-Touched Eidolon count as having a binder level for the purposes of this ability? Does it use my Summoner level? It's hit dice number? Or does this ability just not work at all with Eidolons?

Are you aware that these are all third party? Statistically speaking, your DM probably doesn't allow this content.

It provides no benefit. I'm guessing that's supposed to be for the binder summoner archetype (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/summoner-archetypes-radiance-house/spirit-caller), because it does nothing at all for any other summoner. However, if you do take a dip into any binder class then summoner levels count for half.

Dr. Cliché
2018-12-03, 12:30 PM
Are you aware that these are all third party? Statistically speaking, your DM probably doesn't allow this content.

I am. My DM has basically said that anything goes.

It provides no benefit.

Well that's disappointing, to say the least.

Oh well, another fun idea down the drain.

exelsisxax
2018-12-03, 12:53 PM
I am. My DM has basically said that anything goes.

Well that's disappointing, to say the least.

Oh well, another fun idea down the drain.

If you want to show the DM the error of his ways, may I suggest an instructor (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo-wizard-archetypes/instructor-wizard-archetype/)/cosmic sage (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/cosmic-sage) wizard? Because wizards are OP, and this wizard can be TWO wizards, and the SoP archetype(put any on the cohort) makes it so much easier to run than vancian casting.

Or just SoP, path of war, or psionics in general. They're all better than core.

Psyren
2018-12-03, 11:34 PM

Okay, couple of things.

- General advice: If it's the Pactmaker (formerly Occultist) stuff you're after, you'll want to check out this site (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/pact-magic) rather than the PFSRD as it has the more recent rules from Grimoire of Lost Souls. A number of the spirits and archetypes received errata since the earlier Pact Magic books.

- Specific advice: I gave you that general advice first because it leads to the specific answer to your question, in the updated wording as follows:

"Spirit-Touched (Su)

The eidolon is spirit-touched, granting it 1 minor granted ability from a 1st level spirit of the summoner’s choice. Each time the eidolon is summoned, it gains the chosen minor granted ability; if the summoner doesn’t have the bind spirit class feature, the eidolon’s binder level is equal to half of the summoner’s level. If the summoner has the bind spirits class feature, the eidolon’s binder level is instead equal to the summoner’s level. While summoned, the eidolon is under the spirit’s personality influence and shows the spirit’s physical sign; if the summoner has the bind spirit class feature, he can attempt a binding check against the spirit’s binding DC as a full-round action to suppress its personality influence and grant it the ability to show or suppress the spirit’s physical sign as a move action for the next 24 hours."

Basically, don't use the PFSRD stuff from this book, the author did some major overhauls of all the material since that stuff was uploaded. Use the Spheres wiki I linked above instead. (And if you and your DM end up taking an interest in the Spheres of Power stuff over there, hey bonus.)

Dr. Cliché
2018-12-04, 11:42 AM
Okay, couple of things.

- General advice: If it's the Pactmaker (formerly Occultist) stuff you're after, you'll want to check out this site (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/pact-magic) rather than the PFSRD as it has the more recent rules from Grimoire of Lost Souls. A number of the spirits and archetypes received errata since the earlier Pact Magic books.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

- Specific advice: I gave you that general advice first because it leads to the specific answer to your question, in the updated wording as follows:

"Spirit-Touched (Su)

The eidolon is spirit-touched, granting it 1 minor granted ability from a 1st level spirit of the summoner’s choice. Each time the eidolon is summoned, it gains the chosen minor granted ability; if the summoner doesn’t have the bind spirit class feature, the eidolon’s binder level is equal to half of the summoner’s level. If the summoner has the bind spirits class feature, the eidolon’s binder level is instead equal to the summoner’s level. While summoned, the eidolon is under the spirit’s personality influence and shows the spirit’s physical sign; if the summoner has the bind spirit class feature, he can attempt a binding check against the spirit’s binding DC as a full-round action to suppress its personality influence and grant it the ability to show or suppress the spirit’s physical sign as a move action for the next 24 hours."

Basically, don't use the PFSRD stuff from this book, the author did some major overhauls of all the material since that stuff was uploaded. Use the Spheres wiki I linked above instead. (And if you and your DM end up taking an interest in the Spheres of Power stuff over there, hey bonus.)

Ah, that's very useful. Thank you.

Psyren
2018-12-04, 11:52 AM
Your summoner can get the "Bind Spirits" class feature (i.e. the bread and butter of the Binder Pactmaker) via the Spirit Caller archetype. Instead of an eidolon, you can form pacts with vestiges spirits that grant companions, and those companions will get evolution points like an eidolon does.

Notably, at least one spirit (Loh'moi) gives you an eidolon anyway that comes with evolution points of its own. You have to wait a bit for it, but you can end up with a pretty flexible minion as a result.

EDIT: Above was directed at your concern that without full binder level the spirit power would be less effective, which I think was edited out.