PDA

View Full Version : Running Primeval Thule Campaign Setting, and I have some questions.

blelliot
2018-12-03, 12:09 PM
I'm looking to run this setting (think Conan-sword and sorcery, very low magic), and I have some thoughts about using the Gritty Realism variant in the DMG. Has anyone run or played on a game with this variant? How did it turn out for you?

lunaticfringe
2018-12-03, 02:20 PM
Just a one shot. Do you like listening to players overplan everything? Cause that's basically what happens.

What sort of campaign are you running? I tend to agree with the DMG that it works better in little/no combat campaigns. Lingering Injuries, Massive Damage, & Morale work better imo if you want combat to be deadlier, scarier, and more visceral.

darknite
2018-12-03, 03:38 PM
My main issue with Gritty Realism is regenerating health. The game system is built with the assumption characters get hit and can easily regain HP. When it takes days for them to do that you have a lot of people sitting around a fire trying to dodge random encounters while their HP counters slowly increase.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-03, 07:21 PM
My main issue with Gritty Realism is regenerating health. The game system is built with the assumption characters get hit and can easily regain HP. When it takes days for them to do that you have a lot of people sitting around a fire trying to dodge random encounters while their HP counters slowly increase.

That's the whole point of gritty realism. It's not really gritty or realistic, it's designed for games where you expect one or two encounters per day instead of the standard 5-8.