PDA

View Full Version : War Weaver & spell list questions

Ken Murikumo
2018-12-03, 03:01 PM
1) When casting into the tapestry or using the Quiescent Weaving, are they limited to spells that belong to the arcane class(es) that qualified them for the class or can they use ANY spell they know?

2) Same as above, but wands, scrolls, etc...?

Segev
2018-12-03, 03:44 PM
I don't believe they can cast items into the tapestry, but unless it specifies a limit, they can cast any spell they can cast into it.

Deadline
2018-12-03, 03:55 PM
There aren't any restrictions on the spells you can put into a weave that aren't specifically called out in the ability description.

After looking through the ability, it appears that the answer to both of your questions is Yes, provided they fall within the restrictions of the ability. So spells that have the "harmless" designation in their saving throw entry or ones requiring willing targets. And there's a spell level restriction based on your level in War Weaver. But assuming you have those covered, you should be able to use any spell you can cast (so spell completion items should be a viable source of spells for a weave).

Ken Murikumo
2018-12-04, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I came to the same conclusion about the spell list but wanted to be sure. The items thing seems on the fence with 1 yes and 1 no. I'll have to run this by the DM and see what he says.

Segev
2018-12-04, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I came to the same conclusion about the spell list but wanted to be sure. The items thing seems on the fence with 1 yes and 1 no. I'll have to run this by the DM and see what he says.

On further reflection, I'll actually modify my thought on the items: Spell completion and spell trigger items are still "cast," so they probably do work with War Weaver's tapestry. Items which are command activated probably do not, because they aren't "casting" a spell so much as being a source of an effect that mimics a spell. Though specialized design may change this. I would ask your DM, though, yes.

DarkSoul
2018-12-04, 11:15 AM
Might want to ask your DM first because what they decide overrides everything else.