PDA

View Full Version : Help making a wizard blaster :)

ngilop
2018-12-03, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, I am interested in making a character I really haven't done in D&D before; A Blaster.

Right now I am thinking of the following final level 20 build (Sorcerer at 6th level)

Human Admixture Evocation Wizard 19/ Tattooed Crossblooded (Orc+gold) Sorcerer.

I know that in order to blast I need the cross blooded with draconic and orc to get the damage boost, but I was worried that it will not be enough, so that is why I went Admixture instead of base Evoker. I am Banning Necromancy and Enchantment.

But, I am worried that going fire (even with admixture) so heavily is going to not work as good as I would like? I am not sure

It is for Wrath of the Righteous 20 point build and eventual mythic levels.

Kurald Galain
2018-12-03, 04:43 PM
Yes, I've played a similar character to that and it works very well. Pathfinder's damage boosts make blasting an entirely viable option.

Your baseline spells should be Scorching Ray, Empowered Scorching Ray, and Hellfire Ray. Keep an eye out for enemies in 'fireball formation', too. Be sure to boost your initiative, and to do something about spell resistance. Varisian Tattoo is a nice feat for you. And prepare a handful of non-blasting spells every day as backup.

MeimuHakurei
2018-12-03, 05:00 PM
A lot of enemies in Wrath of the Righteous are demons, and while they resist common elements, 10 fire resistance is not harsh to a dedicated blaster (do note succubi and balors being immune instead). Plus you can always prepare a couple of non-fire blasting spells just to get around the immunity. Good things for you to pick up:

Magical Lineage, Scorching Ray (trait)
Improved Initiative (feat)
Empower Spell (feat)
Quicken Spell (feat)
Dazing Spell (feat)
Spell Perfection, Scorching Ray (feat)
Lesser Metamagic Wand, Maximize (item)
Lesser Metamagic Wand, Widen (item)
Pearl of Power, 2nd/3rd (item)
Headband of Intellect (item)

ericgrau
2018-12-03, 10:42 PM
Fire gets way too much hate. Worry much more about SR. Usually you may face fire resistance 10 or 20, in which case it's better to boost your damage a little than it is to try to change the energy type. Or try searing spell. Actual fire immunity is very rare. You can have backup spells for immunity with zero build resources put into it. Be they different energy types or non-damage. SR is a much more common problem. For that I found this guide (4th paragraph and onward): https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/30467/how-can-i-overcome-spell-resistance . Using SR:no spells isn't a bad idea either. Even if you don't build around them because you're a blaster, you can pick some as backups.

Unless Pathfinder changed something I'm not aware of, web combos well with flaming sphere. Evard's Black Tentacles combos well with fireball. And PF boosted flaming sphere so it's a pretty nice early game spell.

I'd be hesitant to ban necromancy because enervation works very well with precise shot and empower. You want to do primarily area damage because that's way more effective than single target damage. Against single targets, enervation is often better. Unfortunately PF nerfed ray of enfeeblement so you don't have much for low levels. But ray of exhaustion is nice. Even if the target saves, you can pop him a 2nd time to make him exhausted regardless. While you should have scorching ray, consider alternate strats for single targets. Again, yes I know you are a blaster and I don't expect you to build around it, but there are other spells that even unboosted could often work better than your most tweaked out scorching ray. Abjuration is an easy ban if your party has a divine caster. Transmutation and illusion are likewise easy for other party members to cover if your party has the right arcane caster who gets them: sorcerer, wizard or bard for example. Sure they're great, but there aren't enough great spells for two people to get them. And casting the same spell twice usually doesn't stack with these schools. Unlike conjuration where there's a bajillion options that sometimes combo with themselves, and evocation where the spells usually combo with themselves. Both damage and other evocations.

And on the matter of area damage, which should really be your bread and butter, you'll really want selective spell or something similar. Excluding allies means hitting more enemies means doing much more damage. It's an even better feat than empower, though of course you can get both feats. There's a traits to give you a metamagic reducer on a single spell, and you may want to do that with fireball.

And while you should blast often, no caster should get only 1 type of spell in general. That's just a self imposed nerf. Even BFC wizards don't get only BFC. The concept is loaded with buffs and divinations to over-plan. Likewise you'll want to find spells that complement your damage both in working together with it and as backups for when it doesn't work well. Which reminds me, on the subject of backup spells. Prepare [empowered] magic missile(s) daily. Or now that I've mentioned it you'll notice a dozen situations where you wish you had it. It will never be your primary attack on an easy to hit full health foe, but it you'll repeatedly hit special times when its reliability is invaluable. You may want high CL scrolls for more for rare encounters, money and NPCs permitting.

ngilop
2018-12-04, 09:18 AM
Well, here is what I was thinking:

for feats:
1st Spell Focus: evocation
1st bonus (h) Greater spell Focus: Evocation
1st bonus (w) Scribe Scroll
3rd Spell SPecialization
5th Additional Trait (magical lineage & Metamagic master)
5th bonus Empower
6th Bonus (s): Varisian Tattoo: Evocation (also draconic bloodline spells for free)

for stats I am thinking
STR 10
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 18 (with +2 human bonus added)
WIS 12
CHA 11

I do have a question and I am sure that it is not intended BUT the mythic path power for the archmage Bloodline Intensity states
Your mythic power intensifies your sorcerer bloodline. Select an additional bloodline feat from your bloodline’s list of feats. You must meet the prerequisites for that feat. You can also cast each of your bloodline spells once per day without them counting toward the number of spells you can cast per day. You must have the bloodline class feature to select this ability. (Underlined for emphasis)

So, I can, at my first mythic tier take this and be able to cash Wish once a day because Wish is a bloodline spell for draconic bloodline. Now, I would assume that it supposed to have been written that you can only cast them when you are at the requisite level ( so 18th for wish).. What do you guys think, I know that I tend to be conservative in regards to rules and their. interpretations.

Thunder999
2018-12-04, 02:49 PM
Ooh if it's wrath of the righteous then you will eventually want to focus on fireball.
Mythic fireball is d10s instead of d6s and causes enemies to catch fire for 2d6 until they put themselves out (and the extinguish DC is the spell DC), then at 8th tier augmented mythic fireball increases the CL cap to 20, the AoE to a 40ft burst and bypasses all forms of fire resistance and immunity.
Mythic scorching ray is also good, you get 6d6 per ray and it ignores fire resistance and immunity.
Now for mythic feats you'll definitely want mythic spell lore for the above mythic spells (and some others of course, plenty of neat stuff), extra mythic power is OK though loses value as you gain levels, extra path ability is a must have, mythic spell focus, spell penetration and improved initiative are all nice if you have the normal feats.
For path abilities you obviously can't beat wild arcana (cast any wizard spell at +2 CL without knowing it, let alone preparing it), for your tier 1 and 2 powers there's no must have (though elemental bond, eldritch breach, abundant casting, harmonious mage, crafting mastery and flexible school are all good for you), Once you hit tier 3 you'll want arcane metamastery (reduce metamagic cost for 10 rounds for a single mythic point) a few times (you eventually want to fit 4 in for free quicken spell, but 3 is free maximise, 2 is free empower, and 1 is free intensify), mythic spellpower is handy for any augmented spells you want to cast, and mirror dodge is possibly the best defensive ability you'll ever get. 6th tier brings with it channel power, which is a must have, so grab that at 6th, take any lower level options you missed for 7, 8 and 9, or with at least a paritally neutral alignment you could grab the universal path ability divine source and pick a domain with some good spells to use as SLAs (luck gives freedom of movement and free miracles).

You don't acquire your bloodline spells until you reach a high enough sorcerer level, so at level 1 you don't have any bloodline spells, especially with crossblooded where you explicitly have to choose them at the appropriate level, so you can't cast them with this and can't use staves, scrolls or wands of them.

ericgrau
2018-12-04, 05:51 PM
Well, here is what I was thinking:

for feats:
1st Spell Focus: evocation
1st bonus (h) Greater spell Focus: Evocation
DEX 12
INT 18

In that case nevermind about necromancy rays. For single target backup a good spell to get instead is resilient sphere. It goes well with your feats and int. And flaming sphere at low levels. And empowered magic missile for special situations. For a lone big tough baddy you might want to haste the party or something like that nstead. You probably don't want scorching ray at all. Not without a higher dex and precise shot, but you're probably better off not dump feats into single target. Selective spell (APG IIRC) is still great for you to make better use of your fireballs.

ngilop
2018-12-04, 06:51 PM
What would a good first level sorcerer spell be for me?

I am thinking sure casting, not only is it a spell that ignores caster level, but it helps me on my other side of casting (wizard blasting) to give me +5 to penetrate spell resistance.

ericgrau
2018-12-04, 08:52 PM
What would a good first level sorcerer spell be for me?

I am thinking sure casting, not only is it a spell that ignores caster level, but it helps me on my other side of casting (wizard blasting) to give me +5 to penetrate spell resistance.

That standard action is really painful and almost makes it a wash even against an encounter of all SR foes. Maybe something more like mage armor or unseen servant that you can cast and forget. Not that special and you may still prepare it on the wizard side, but better than a trap. There's also reactive armor for +2 touch AC for 1 round, but I assume you'll want your swift/immediate actions for something else eventually.

ngilop
2018-12-04, 09:28 PM
So.. there is this as well http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodline-mutations/blood-havoc/

The way I see it, I get rid of my draconic claws and I get an extra +1 per die for damage as long as the spell is in one of the schools that I have spell focus in.

SO that would give me +2 damage to all evocation spells with +3 if they are fire spells. SO basically getting another die per caster level. Is it worth it?

Thunder999
2018-12-04, 09:34 PM
One option for the sorcerer is to just pick something from your opposition school (though with mythic you can either get rid of opposition schools entirely with harmonious mage, or use wild arcana). So we'd be after a good necromancy or enchantment spell to use: keep watch is very nice, it lets you stay awake while you rest, moment of greatness could also be good if your party has a source of morale bonus.
Or you could just pick something spammable that doesn't need CL: detect secret doors (1 minute should do a room for you), comprehend languages (10 minutes is probably enough), secluded grimoire (no scaling at all and a great way to protect your spell book), blood money (it's stupid broken, but it does lack scaling).
Based on what I know of that AP and the mythic rules, I'd go for one of the opposed school spells, because the other stuff isn't likely to come up (well secret doors exist, but you should really have someone with perception and it's not nice to steal their job and blood money is always good, but also too broken to use).
Don't forget your cantrips, you could grab all four opposition school ones, but they're not great, I'd suggest detect magic, disrupt undead, detect fiendish presence and one other (you'll use the two detects a lot and 1 minute is plenty of duration, disrupt undead is better than a crossbow against undead)

Coventry
2018-12-04, 09:59 PM
Brewer's Guide to the Blockbuster Wizard (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CF830C0FA4CEE8DE!489&authkey=!AA9Vz3wOw6b-VZQ&ithint=file%2cpdf) suggests elf instead of human for that tasty +2 penetration against spell resistance. Yes, a human can just spend the extra feat to get that +2 back ... except the elf can also get that feat, and stack the bonus.

It's a good read for how to set up a blaster wizard.

Kurald Galain
2018-12-05, 03:35 AM
So.. there is this as well http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodline-mutations/blood-havoc/
That only works on sorcerer spells, meaning spells you cast from your sorcerer spell slots. Otherwise, it would definitely be worth it.

I recommend taking Spell Spec and Varisian Tattoo earlier; extra damage dice are worth more than +1 on your save DC.

ngilop
2018-12-05, 08:37 AM
So, would it be better for me to be a single classed sorcerer to get the +3 dmg/die to my blast fire spells?

ShurikVch
2018-12-05, 08:47 AM
Blaster is a Light Weapon, thus - a Tiny Object
Tiny Animated Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) have just ½ racial HD (which will be replaced by the first class level)
Cast maximized Awaken Construct on it (or just use Minor Servitor spell) for 18 Int

The main question is: will it be able to recharge itself?

Kurald Galain
2018-12-05, 10:12 AM
So, would it be better for me to be a single classed sorcerer to get the +3 dmg/die to my blast fire spells?

Depends on what you want. Personally I prefer the wizard's admixture and easier metamagic.

Goaty14
2018-12-05, 11:08 AM
Tiny Animated Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) have just ½ racial HD (which will be replaced by the first class level)
Cast maximized Awaken Construct on it (or just use Minor Servitor spell) for 18 Int

Then make it your cohort via Leadership and give it wizard levels. Best. Wizard Blaster. Ever :smallamused:

ngilop
2018-12-05, 11:08 AM
I am just wondering what is going to maximize the amount of damage I do in a given encounter.

The way I see it most of my 3rd, 4th, and 5th (maybe 6th) level spells are just going to be meta-magic fireballs. While on paper it might seem boring, truth is no problem cannot be solved with the correct number of fireballs applied to it.

Coventry
2018-12-06, 01:00 AM
There is another route you might be able to take - the shaman class.

Some warnings: I'm relying on Hero Lab to keep everything PFS legal, so I may have a mistake or three in here. Also, Hero Lab is balking on the assignment of Spell Perfection to Fireball at 15th level, but I think that is a bug in their program.

The first detail concerns Hex: Flame Curse. It is short range, but anything that gets close to you could be eating a 50% damage increase from the quickened fireball that gets cast after the curse is applied, then the next round could have yet another quickened spell and a regular one.

The second detail is Arcane Enlightenment to pick up Fireball. There was a lot of debate about whether or not a shaman could prepare spirit spells in his regular spell slots, and I recall that the consensus was "no". Arcane Enlightenment, however, does add the spell to the list a shaman can prepare. So you can only start using metamagic on fireball at Shaman 6 which is when Arcane Enlightenment comes online.

The third detail is the fireball spell in the spirit magic slot - it is a spontaneous spell, so you can add metamagic to it on the fly like a sorcerer does - at the cost of the modified spell taking a full round to cast.

Being a human shaman means you can grab spells off the cleric list. I included some of the ones that turn this character into one that can swing a sword in melee if necessary. You typically do not want to do that as a blaster, but having the option is nice if you ever need it.

Orc blooded has a light sensitivity weakness. The easy solution (Penumbra as a cantrip on the sorcerer list) ... is not PFS legal.

As I post this, I am still debating shuffling the hexes other than Flame Curse and Arcane Enlightenment to later levels in order to pick up Hex: Healing. It may not be much, but having it and spamming it at every party member certainly reduces the load on the party's main healer.

Build Plan through 15

Human S:10 D:12, C:14, I:14, W:17, Ch:11

Wizard 1

Admixture (ban Abjuration, Necromancy),
Bonus Feat: Spell Focus (Evocation),
Feat: Spell Specialization (Burning Hands),
Feat: Additional Traits (Magical Lineage[Fireball], Metamagic Master[Fireball])
Favored Class: Shaman

Shaman 1

Spirit: Flame

Shaman 2

Hex: Flame Curse,
Feat: Varisian Tattoo (Evocation)

Shaman 3

Favored Bonus +1 Cleric Spell Known (Divine Favor)

Shaman 4

Attribute [+1 Wisdom],
Wandering Spirit: Lore,
Hex: Flight,
Feat: Empower Spell

Shaman 5

Favored Bonus +1 Cleric Spell Known (Ironskin)

Shaman 6

Wandering Hex: Arcane Enlightenment (Fireball),
Feat: Spell Penetration
Spell Specialization changes from (Burning Hands) to (Fireball),

Sorcerer 1 Crossblooded (Brass Dragon, Orc)

Attribute [+1 Wisdom]
Pick a first level spell you cannot get from Shaman, for example: Shield

Shaman 7

Feat: Intensified Spell

Shaman 8

Hex: Secret (Bonus feat: Quicken Spell)

Shaman 9

Favored Bonus +1 Cleric Spell Known (Blessing of Fervor)
Feat: Greater Spell Penetration

Shaman 10

Attribute [+1 Wisdom]
Favored Bonus +1 Cleric Spell Known (Death Ward)
Hex: Shapeshift (use for small size bonus to AC)

Shaman 11

Favored Bonus +1 Cleric Spell Known (Righteous Might)
Feat: Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)

Shaman 12

Favored Bonus +1 Cleric Spell Known (Crusader's Edge)
Hex: ??

Shaman 13

Feat: Spell Perfection (Fireball)

Calthropstu
2018-12-06, 01:02 AM

DAMMIT! You beat me to it.

ericgrau
2018-12-06, 04:46 AM
I am just wondering what is going to maximize the amount of damage I do in a given encounter.
IMO that's too much work for us. I'd take all of your own ideas, posted ideas, and see what combo gives the most fireball damage. It may help to work backwards, starting at a high but not unreasonable level. Then take away feats 1 by 1 as you reduce level, trying to find which reduces damage the least each time. Again I'm in favor if selective spell. It will often let you hit twice as many targets effectively doubling your damage. Or you can try communal energy resistance or communal protection from energy on the party. Only problem with that is the duration, so it only works well at dungeon entrances. It's not worth wasting a round on almost any buff as rarely are they better than yet another fireball.

The way I see it most of my 3rd, 4th, and 5th (maybe 6th) level spells are just going to be meta-magic fireballs. While on paper it might seem boring, truth is no problem cannot be solved with the correct number of fireballs applied to it.

Well except fire elementals, but that's rare. I'm all in favor of lots of fireballs but I don't think you need more than 3 good ones. The rest should be stuff that complements them well like some of my previous suggestions; combos and backup spells. Stuff that is useful but uses your existing feats or no feats. Low level spells should be hour/level, swift and immediate action spells because you'll have trouble burning them all 95% of the time. For that other 5% of the time, get scrolls, wands and/or staffs.

Kurald Galain
2018-12-06, 05:33 AM
The first detail concerns Hex: Flame Curse. It is short range, but anything that gets close to you could be eating a 50% damage increase from the quickened fireball that gets cast after the curse is applied, then the next round could have yet another quickened spell and a regular one.
It strikes me that Fireball + Quickened Fireball deals way more damage than Flame Curse + Quickened Fireball. So I wouldn't recommend shaman for a blaster.

Have you seen the Burning Amplification feat yet?

ngilop
2018-12-06, 09:34 AM
It strikes me that Fireball + Quickened Fireball deals way more damage than Flame Curse + Quickened Fireball. So I wouldn't recommend shaman for a blaster.

Question: Would Burning Amplification stack with mythic fireball?

Coventry
2018-12-06, 09:37 PM
I neglected to point out that this blaster that can choose to wear medium armor, has a d8 hit die and has medium BAB, while taking a painful hit to higher level spell slot availability due to two class level dips.

Arcane spell failure only applies to the wizard/sorcerer spells that the character has. During low levels, when Ray of Frost is a go-to spell, wearing armor is a problem, but once that stops having an impact, medium armor becomes an option. The larger hit die is 1 extra hit point per shaman level - almost, but not quite the same as a free Toughness feat.

The medium BAB does not do much (how often does a fireball caster need to roll to hit?). Even if it did matter, it only starts to move the needle at 9th level and above.

Oh, sure, you should get more raw damage out of two fireballs being cast in a round. There is nothing stopping this build from doing that if desired or if it makes more sense to do so.

I see two tactical reasons to go with the Flame Curse route:

stretching resources (casting one spell and saving the second for later that day), and
ally force multiplication (that 50% bonus will apply to fire damage done by pyromaniac allies or summons).

I see tactical situations where I would not go that route, too, such as when the mooks in the target area will likely survive the base damage of the quickened fireball (Flame Curse is single target), but probably wont survive the one-two fireball punch.

But once, just once, you can hope to land a Maximized Intensified Empowered Fireball on a newly-fire-vulnerable opponent at (15x6+30 + 0.5*(15d6+30)) * 1.5 for about 242 points of fire damage (assuming my math is correct). If Mythic Fireball makes that d10, then the number jumps past 350 for that single spell.

No, I had not come across that feat. That is nice. Thanks for the pointer!

Great. Now I have another feat I want to factor in to this build. I'm already pining for Dazing Spell in what I posted earlier. :tongue:

Question: Would Burning Amplification stack with mythic fireball?

Catching fire is a straight d6 damage per round. Mythic does not change the dice type to d10, but it's still an extra d6 per round after a mythic fireball.

ngilop
2019-03-28, 09:49 AM
Ok, so I am submitting a different version of this character

same adventure path but instead 10th level with 3 mythic ranks.

any suggestions on what to do post 6th level and with those mythic ranks?

Calthropstu
2019-03-28, 11:20 AM
Ok, so I am submitting a different version of this character

same adventure path but instead 10th level with 3 mythic ranks.

any suggestions on what to do post 6th level and with those mythic ranks?

Archmage for sure. Take the "spend mythic point as swift action to cast any wizard spell" as your path perk.
There is a mythic ability in that path that allows you to spend mythic points to increase damage by 50%. Take it.
As soon as possible, get a rod of maximize.
Take mythic spellcasting getting mythic magic missle and mythic fireball. As soon as you are able, take mythic disintigrate. Take the feat empower spell.
Watch your gm cry as you pump out damage in the hundreds (eventually thousands)

ngilop
2019-03-29, 09:27 AM
I am horrible with buying items at character creation.

What items would any suggest other than of course the meta magic rods.

I already have what i want feat wise up to level 6 picked out. After that i am drawing a blank. Mythic Scribe scroll looks nice. It allows me to make X scrolls a day (where X equal my mythic surge count) SO when i have a day or two of downtime I can just make some scrolls and have fun with more fireballs.

ngilop
2019-03-30, 10:02 AM
Is there any reason why I should take Maximize spell over consecrate spell?

Since the overwhelming majority of our enemies are going to be evil, I can easily get the same result but for 2 adjusted spell levels lower.

Also can I take Fleeting Spell on instantaneous spells as well? It does not have the 'only spells that ____ can be" like other metamagics such as eclipsed spell states.

Kurald Galain
2019-03-30, 12:40 PM
Yes: wizards don't normally meet the prereq for that.

Also can I take Fleeting Spell on instantaneous spells as well?
Sure, but the 'dismiss' combat action doesn't do anything on instantaneous spells.

Calthropstu
2019-03-30, 01:17 PM

Since the overwhelming majority of our enemies are going to be evil, I can easily get the same result but for 2 adjusted spell levels lower.

Also can I take Fleeting Spell on instantaneous spells as well? It does not have the 'only spells that ____ can be" like other metamagics such as eclipsed spell states.

That being the case, take consecrate and purchase a rod of empower. Keep in mind, most enemies you fight will be immune or resistant to fire, so take some abilities and spells that either bypass that immunity (such as mythic fireball) or use other elements as well.

Again, shoot for mythic disintegrate + maximize(consecrate) + empower + channel power for 18 * CL * 2 for a total of 414 damage at 12th level. If you're not tier 6 at 12th, then it's still 18 * 12 * 1.5. This works if one of your path abilities is the 3rd level path ability arcane metamastery. That's a very respectable 288 damage per shot. You use metamastery to apply consecrate for free, use the rod of empower to also apply empower for free making the spell incredibly potent. Hit them with your super potent disintegrate and 288 damage is enough to kill more than 90% of monsters and characters. Once you can augment the disintegrate and gain access to channel power, you're looking at damage near the 1500 mark.

At 10th level, you're using it on mythic fireball. At 150 damage a pop(save for 75), still pretty damn good. You can't augment til 6th tier though so you can't bypass fire resistance yet. As such, I also recommend taking mythic magic missile. That will hit for a respectable 67 points of damage, no save. Augment at tier 4 for a solid 135 damage that you can split between up to 10 targets. Great for mowing down useless mooks or reliably dealing damage to tough monsters. It will even affect golems as it bypasses spell immunity.

So to recap:
mythic path ability(Archmage): Arcane metamastery (tier 3) (Allows you to apply consecrate for free)
Mythic path ability(Universal): Mythic spellcasting (Tier 2) (Gaining fireball and magic missile)
Feat: Consecrate spell.
Item: Rod of empower.

Recommended:
Feat: Spell focus (Transmutation)
Feat: Greater spell focus (Transmutation)
Mythic feat: Mythic spell focus transmutation.

Total of +3 dc on disintegrate, plus you can force them to roll 2 dice on saving throws and take the lesser.
Also recommended:
Spell penetration
Greater spell penetration
Mythic spell penetration.

You're looking at +7 to overcome spell resistance right out the gate. That's pretty big.

So: all of the first set of abilities + either one of the other set of three feat paths will work wonders for you.

ngilop
2019-04-03, 08:38 AM
What is channel power?

I looked and could not find anything about it barring channel energy.

The reason i asked about fleeting spell, is that I plan on getting my fireballs down to 1st level spells, maybe even cantrips. When they are meta-magiced up

Calthropstu
2019-04-03, 02:17 PM
What is channel power?

I looked and could not find anything about it barring channel energy.

The reason i asked about fleeting spell, is that I plan on getting my fireballs down to 1st level spells, maybe even cantrips. When they are meta-magiced up

Channel power is a 6th tier mythic ability under archmage. You can find the ability Here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/mythic/mythic-heroes/mythic-paths-paizo-inc/archmage/)

ngilop
2019-04-03, 02:47 PM
Channel power is a 6th tier mythic ability under archmage. You can find the ability Here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/mythic/mythic-heroes/mythic-paths-paizo-inc/archmage/)

Nice.. its basically empower and extend and spell focus all attached for 1 mythic.

And it stacks. so does that make the spell do +75% OR +100%?

WIth mythic empower +105% or +125%?

Calthropstu
2019-04-03, 03:03 PM
Nice.. its basically empower and extend and spell focus all attached for 1 mythic.

And it stacks. so does that make the spell do +75% OR +100%?

WIth mythic empower +105% or +125%?

+100. Percentages are additive. Mythic Empower would be +125%.

ngilop
2019-04-03, 03:11 PM
I am also strugging with items to buy

Have +4 to Int, ring of spell knowledge (consecrate), Dweomer's Essence, Cracked dusty rose ioun stone, and some gold to get scrolls to have more than like 20 spells.

from what i gather I buy the essnce once and then have endless uses of it? It really doesn't have a set number...

Calthropstu
2019-04-03, 08:59 PM
I am also strugging with items to buy

Have +4 to Int, ring of spell knowledge (consecrate), Dweomer's Essence, Cracked dusty rose ioun stone, and some gold to get scrolls to have more than like 20 spells.

from what i gather I buy the essnce once and then have endless uses of it? It really doesn't have a set number...

The essence is a one shot item.

ngilop
2019-04-04, 08:46 AM
That is crazy it is a 1 use item. A pinch costs me 500 gold. I guess i could get an item that does the same thing on a more permanent basis.

I was thinking of taking legendary item, like maybe a ring... or a staff But.. the rules don't really make a lot of sense to me.

Anybody here can break down legendary item for me for use by a caster who wants to see the -evil- world burn?

OH SNAP. i need a haversack too!

Calthropstu
2019-04-04, 12:02 PM
That is crazy it is a 1 use item. A pinch costs me 500 gold. I guess i could get an item that does the same thing on a more permanent basis.

I was thinking of taking legendary item, like maybe a ring... or a staff But.. the rules don't really make a lot of sense to me.

Anybody here can break down legendary item for me for use by a caster who wants to see the -evil- world burn?

OH SNAP. i need a haversack too!

Take legendary item 3 times, but don't spend the points until you are tier 9. Then spend all the points at once to get intelligent * 3 and get wish 3x per day as a spell like ability. Put it on something that already has magic properties like a ring of protection + 5. Might require gm approval for the "spend all at once" bit.

Kurald Galain
2019-04-04, 12:16 PM
Well it's pretty cheap at high levels. The alternative is to get a metamagic rod of Piercing Spell.

ngilop
2019-04-04, 12:28 PM
500 is a huge chunk for what i plan on doing with my character.

Wouldn't it be better to take miracle instead of wish to cut don on that pesky wish can get twisted and one thing miracle calls out to be capable of is 'raise an army, yo'

Calthropstu
2019-04-04, 01:15 PM
500 is a huge chunk for what i plan on doing with my character.

Wouldn't it be better to take miracle instead of wish to cut don on that pesky wish can get twisted and one thing miracle calls out to be capable of is 'raise an army, yo'

Miracle is actually more fickle and even more subject to gm ruling. Miracle needs to be tied to a diety after all.

You don’t so much cast a miracle as request one. You state what you would like to have happen and request that your deity (or the power you pray to for spells) intercede.
Since you don't pray for spells, and you don't get spells from a diety, a gm could simply say "You ask nobody to perform a miracle and nobody performs a miracle. Nothing happens from nobody to no one."
So yeah, it's worse than wish in that way.

ngilop
2019-04-04, 01:45 PM
Miracle is actually more fickle and even more subject to gm ruling. Miracle needs to be tied to a diety after all.

Since you don't pray for spells, and you don't get spells from a diety, a gm could simply say "You ask nobody to perform a miracle and nobody performs a miracle. Nothing happens from nobody to no one."
So yeah, it's worse than wish in that way.

So i take legendary item 3 times like I am planning. BUT i do not actually assign any legendary abilities until tier 9 and I just sink all the legendary abilities into intelligent item and into spell casting o cast wish thrice a day?

Calthropstu
2019-04-05, 12:55 AM
So i take legendary item 3 times like I am planning. BUT i do not actually assign any legendary abilities until tier 9 and I just sink all the legendary abilities into intelligent item and into spell casting o cast wish thrice a day?

Well, it is the most op use of legendary item. There are other uses though, such as giving yourself gate 3x per day instead, or using it to gain planar ally/binding multiple times per day, or gaining heal 3x per day (highly useful that.) Other combos with the other abilities are good too though.
Keep in mind though, it can still acquire normal magic properties until ot becomes an artifact. So you can pile enchantments on it. Tier 1-7 keep it at just 1 legendary. Tier 8-9 take legendary again, 3x wish it then bam. You have a ring with about 2 dozen powerful enchantments on it that grants wishes 3x per day... AT NO COST. No cost wishes unattached to any powerful outsider, god or entity. Very hard to come by in PF.