PDA

View Full Version : Good Classes for Kalashtar

Tokuhara
2018-12-03, 06:05 PM
So in my current game, I'm planning my back-up PC because high mortality game. I want to use Kalashtar as my race because most of their racials are pretty nice to have overall (especially Telepathy).

However, I'm kinda not sure what class works well for Kalashtar. I know the +1 Wis & Cha and +1 Any really leaves doors open to not only single class but multiclass options. So many choices though...

So any ideas for "optimal" class choices for Kalashtar?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-03, 06:07 PM
So in my current game, I'm planning my back-up PC because high mortality game. I want to use Kalashtar as my race because most of their racials are pretty nice to have overall (especially Telepathy).

However, I'm kinda not sure what class works well for Kalashtar. I know the +1 Wis & Cha and +1 Any really leaves doors open to not only single class but multiclass options. So many choices though...

So any ideas for "optimal" class choices for Kalashtar?

That's kinda the point of Kalashtar, as they're basically "Generic humans with telepathy".

Paladin, Moon Druid, Swords/Valor Bard, or Swashbuckler Rogue are going to be your best bets. With any melee character, any addition to Wisdom will help with skills and important saving throws. With Moon Druids, the telepathy means they can communicate in beast form.

I suppose that a sociable Cleric can also benefit from being a Kalashtar.

Tokuhara
2018-12-03, 06:17 PM
Moon Druid is kinda cool, and while Swash and Paly are cool, party already has a Paladin and 2 Rogues (granted, 1 is a Rogue/Ranger). Had considered Monk (aiming for Cobalt Soul, even if its MAD) or even Hexblade Warlock (the thought of a Hexblade with a decent Wis and some useful tricks is pretty cool)

Nifft
2018-12-03, 09:28 PM
Do you get to keep your Telepathy while Moon Druid'd into an animal?

Damon_Tor
2018-12-03, 09:41 PM
Do you get to keep your Telepathy while Moon Druid'd into an animal?

The short answer is "yes". The long answer is: Wildshape allows you to benefit from any racial ability as long as your new form is physically capable of doing so. There are many cases where this would clearly not be allowed (A tortle wildshaped into a bear would not have a shell, and so would lose any benefit of having one) and cases which are questionable (Can a Goliath wildshaped into a brown bear use "powerful build" or "stone's endurance"?) But telepathy (at least as expressed by Kalashtar) is explicitly spiritual; their brains aren't different, they don't have a "telepathy gland" or something, they have telepathy because they have an extra soul that can jump out of their heads and deliver messages to people. There's nothing about wildshape that should interfere with that ability.

Nifft
2018-12-03, 10:09 PM
The short answer is "yes". The long answer is: Wildshape allows you to benefit from any racial ability as long as your new form is physically capable of doing so. There are many cases where this would clearly not be allowed (A tortle wildshaped into a bear would not have a shell, and so would lose any benefit of having one) and cases which are questionable (Can a Goliath wildshaped into a brown bear use "powerful build" or "stone's endurance"?) But telepathy (at least as expressed by Kalashtar) is explicitly spiritual; their brains aren't different, they don't have a "telepathy gland" or something, they have telepathy because they have an extra soul that can jump out of their heads and deliver messages to people. There's nothing about wildshape that should interfere with that ability.

Well that's just awesome.

Thanks!

sulimo0310
2018-12-04, 01:27 AM
A little unorthodox because there is no real ability score synergy, but an interesting choice would be Barbarian, eventually going path of the totem and choosing bear. Kalashtar have resistance to pshycic damage, and bear totems have resistance to all damage except pshycic while raging. A Kalashtar Bear-barian is resistant to ALL damage while raging, which is just bonkers. Good luck trying to kill that guy through hit point damage...

Tokuhara
2018-12-05, 02:16 AM
So question: how do Kalashtar stack up vs some of the stronger races in the Wis/Cha categories? I know Yuan Ti and Aarakokra are pretty much on the apex bordering OP, but do Kalashtar even measure up?

BurtMacklin,FBI
2019-05-25, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know how a Kalashtar Lore Bard would work out?

Trying to find a race for my new Lore Bard that is going to be chaotic good (I realize that this race is mainly lawful good, but, since some can resist the good, why can't some resist the "lawful").

Sorry for re-opening and old-ish thread

Yakmala
2019-06-18, 02:04 PM
Old thread, but I'm just beginning an Eberron campaign and I'm interested in the Kalashtar.

My initial thought is to make an Inquisitive. He's an investigator hunting down war criminals from The Last War.

Expertise in Insight, Kalashtar Psychic Glamour to have Advantage with Insight rolls and the Inquisitive's Ear for Deceit to turn Insight rolls of 7 or lower into an 8.

At level 3, with a 16 Wisdom, that's +7 to Insight rolls, with Advantage and no roll lower than 8 on the D20. So, a minimum of 15 at level 3. By the time you hit Level 11 and pick up Reliable Talent, the absolute lowest you can get on your Insight check [Assuming Wisdom 18], is 22. And with Advantage, it has a good chance of being higher. That should allow the character to outsmart even the most accomplished liars among the criminals he hunts.

And having Advantage on Insight checks will also be very useful when using Insightful Fighting for Sneak Attacks.

Haruki-kun
2019-06-18, 08:30 PM
The Winged Mod: Locking for Thread Necromancy, but feel free to start a new thread on the topic if you want to discuss it further.