PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Custom material pricing - Watersilk

Malapterus
2018-12-03, 07:26 PM
In the real world, the finest silk does not come from a worm's butt, but from a clam's beard. There's a certain kind of mollusk that produces golden threads and these are called Sea Silk. You can't really get it anymore, but it is the base for Watersilk, which I am open to better names for.

Watersilk is used to make clothing. Aside from coming from a magical giant sea clam, it is not magical.

When worn as clothing, it gives a +1 bonus to Armor Class and a +4 Circumstance bonus to Escape Artist and Tumble, & grapple checks where being slippery would be a benefit. It's also golden in color and looks fabulous~~

When worn under armor, it does not give the bonus to checks, since it is not the outermost layer. Instead, whatever armor you wear it under increases its Max Dex bonus by 1 and decreases the Armor Check by 1. No effect on arcane spell failure; silk gloves under gauntlets would probably be even worse for somatic components.
The idea here is that this super light super slick silk layer under your armor makes it easier tom move, as well as more comfortable.

While 'Masterwork' is not a thing for Watersilk, you could get a suit of Bespoke Watersilk clothing, custom made especially for you and only you. This doubles the effects of wearing it under armor. Another creature can wear your bespoke clothing if they'll fit in it, but they don't get the added bonus assuming they're not your twin or clone or some such.

I need a good price for both the regular and bespoke versions of these clothes for a medium creature.

These giant clams don't put up a huge fight, but they're pretty deep under the water and they'll make themselves difficult to pull out, so the hassle & hazard of getting them is just a hair below fishing for grey whales.

Lacuna Caster
2018-12-04, 10:07 AM
In the real world, the finest silk does not come from a worm's butt, but from a clam's beard. There's a certain kind of mollusk that produces golden threads and these are called Sea Silk. You can't really get it anymore...
Well I'll be damned. There's a neat fact (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_silk).

DeTess
2018-12-04, 10:16 AM
The effect of the bespoke version seems similar to making something out of mitral, which comes out to between 1000 and 9000 gp depending on the armor type. Maybe make it 4000 for bespoke and 1000 for normal?

Debihuman
2018-12-23, 06:55 PM
This might help with a starting point:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/r-z/sea-silk-shell/

A noble outfit costs 75 gp and weighs 10 lbs.

I would say that the the cost for a noble outfit made of sea silk costs 1/3 higher (100 gp) but the weight is 7 pounds as it has to fit under armor.

Debby