PDA

View Full Version : Tl;Dr Warlock 5/sorcerer 15. Why not?

Happy_cvd
2018-12-03, 08:10 PM
I'm having trouble with this build and I'm notoriously known in my group as indecisive.
I'm having trouble not going to warlock level 5 because of the ability to break down 3rd level spells on short rest as well as the 3rd invocation.
I'm playing with 4 party members. Rogue, eldritch knight/fighter, Cleric, and myself Aasimar sorlock.
Taking pact of tome and Hexblade.
The decision that has been incredibly hard for me is having to choose between not only the difference between taking level 3 (Which everyone does) or level 5, and whether I want to take shadow or divine.
I have it in my head to have as much utility as possible OOC so I can enjoy the creativity of playing the game more than just the combat, however I do want to be able to put out the amazing amount if damage thay sorlock are known to deal.
I want to take pact of tome with the "ritual book" invocation I know for sure. The issue is do I choose to go for the divine sorlock with a good amount of utility and extra healing for the party and take the devilsight invocation + darkness combo and lack out on eldritch blast/agonizing blast invocation. OR do i go shadow, get the built In Ds + D combo and take agonizing blast to focus on a bunch of damage output and a little utility and force the cleric to solo heal.
It makes sense in my head to just go to level 5 warlock take the ritual book devilsight and agonizing blast/force push and then go divine so that I can play our parties magic user while still dealing a proper amount of damage while healing as well.
So if someone could please put me out of my misery and settle this for my that would be wonderful

Sincerely, Happy.

Jasder
2018-12-03, 08:18 PM
The issue with a level 5 warlock dip as opposed to a level 3 dip is that you'll never get 9th level spells, which is pretty sad. Of course, that only really matters if you're going to play up to level 20. Although it will also slow your sorcerer spell progression either way, more so if you take 5 levels of course.

lunaticfringe
2018-12-03, 10:04 PM
Do you want Level 1 Rituals or Level 2? 2 imho can be skipped, 3rd level rituals get good again but that would require warlock 6.

There aren't any 2nd or 3rd Warlock ritual spells.