PDA

View Full Version : Havent played Pathfinder in 10 years

BlacklilCrow
2018-12-03, 08:11 PM
Group of local chaps i met at a card shop invited me to be apart of their pathfinder group. Our DM has told us we will be playing where our characters all have to multiclass as swashbuckler plus a class of our choice. I believe i want to be a captain of undead pirates so i was thinking of choosing something that could survive melee as well as control the dead. From what i remember of pathfinder that leaves me with Cleric, Oracle and Wizard.
` The party will include 5 of us and there are already 2 spellcasters a druid and a wizard so i figured i would go something else that can raise dead and stand a few rounds toe to toe in a fight not in the backline. Thinking Oracle.

Suggestions? Please explain as if talking to a newbie because there is a great deal i dont remember about character creation.

Haldir
2018-12-04, 10:50 AM
Group of local chaps i met at a card shop invited me to be apart of their pathfinder group. Our DM has told us we will be playing where our characters all have to multiclass as swashbuckler plus a class of our choice. I believe i want to be a captain of undead pirates so i was thinking of choosing something that could survive melee as well as control the dead. From what i remember of pathfinder that leaves me with Cleric, Oracle and Wizard.
` The party will include 5 of us and there are already 2 spellcasters a druid and a wizard so i figured i would go something else that can raise dead and stand a few rounds toe to toe in a fight not in the backline. Thinking Oracle.

Suggestions? Please explain as if talking to a newbie because there is a great deal i dont remember about character creation.

You may have more luck opening this thread in the 3.P subforum. Pathfinder is a convoluted mess of mechanics and paragraphs-long abilities that only gluttons for punishment and optimization still play. Personally, I can't stand it and heartily disagree with the philosophies of the people who can. Luckily for you, this forum is a bastion for people who can help you.

Psyren
2018-12-04, 02:11 PM
It certainly is a great resource for people who can help you.

OP, is the swashbuckler requirement a gestalt or a multiclass? (Meaning, are you leveling up both classes simultaneously for 20 levels each on the same character, or are you dividing your 20 levels between the two of them?) If the latter, do you know how many levels have to be Swashbuckler levels?

Your best bet if you want to be an undead minion-master type of character would be a Bones Oracle. Also, there should be an Oracle handbook in my signature somewhere.

Kurald Galain
2018-12-06, 05:47 AM
The party will include 5 of us and there are already 2 spellcasters a druid and a wizard so i figured i would go something else that can raise dead and stand a few rounds toe to toe in a fight not in the backline. Thinking Oracle.
Oracle is a solid option, but if you want to focus more on melee and less on casting (since there are already two spellcasters) then Warpriest is a good pick.

Pathfinder is a convoluted mess of mechanics and paragraphs-long abilities that only gluttons for punishment and optimization still play.
LOL. It is also the second-most popular roleplaying game in the world and wildly successful at conventions, online play, and in-store gaming. The OP has nothing to worry about.