PDA

View Full Version : The Scrubs (Dis)Appreciation Thread.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-21, 11:25 AM
I love Scrubs. (and Appreciation Threads).

I think it was an interesting take on the classic medical drama, and though it manages to keep medically accurate, it retains all the happiness, drama, and humour it requires.

I thought the earlier seasons were fantastic, but I now feel that it is getting slightly tiresome, as characters struggle to grow, but end up repeating themselves, i.e. JD and Elliot again.

My favourite character was Elliot, but in the last two seasons they have replaced her previously intriguing character with a blistering bag of neuroses. Dr.Kelso has changed from a darkly-minded old meglomaniac, to a sweet old man. Dr.Cox has gone from hysterical, to tiresome - as his character has reverted to as it was very early on - which was good the first time, but not so much now. Turk has become a jock again, instead of the slightly more caring and careful persona he was developing. JD has gone from sweet/sensitive to idiotic/naive, with hints of a caramel centre. Carla is one of my neutral characters, though I still dislike they way they portrayed her depression. Jordan has changed from her edgy, sarcastic Satan-depique, to a bag of insanity.

Basically, I like Scrubs 1-4... and I think it got worse from there.

Your thoughts?

2007-09-21, 11:27 AM
Dr. Cox is my hero. He's not enough of a douche anymore, but I don't watch the show regularly so it dosn't bother me so much.

Wolfgang
2007-09-21, 11:55 AM
When was Elliot not a blistering bag of neuroses? That's her defining character trait. :p

I second the nomination for Dr. Cox as best character. I haven't seen passed season 4 though.

"Did your head just explode? If your head explodes, you'll never make it as a doctor."

The Janitor is my second favorite. The one where he pretends to be Dr. Kelso was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Plus, he's an actual roleplayer if I recall correctly. Dr. Yan Itor. Extra awesome.

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-21, 11:59 AM
I like it, the musical episode got me into it and now I'm watching re runs.

ranger89
2007-09-21, 12:01 PM
Totally agree. Scrubs has definitely gone downhill the last couple seasons but it's still good for a chuckle now and then. Seasons 1-4 are absolutely brilliant though.

My favorite character is Turk followed closely by the janitor. Honorable mention goes to Ted.

Amotis
2007-09-21, 12:06 PM
Dr. Cox ftw.

"Oh my God, I cared so little I almost passed out."

Don Beegles
2007-09-21, 02:42 PM
I haven't seen any of the newer seasons, so I haven't noticed any of that. I do love the show, though.

Ted is the shiznit.

"Well I'm getting a soda!"

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-21, 02:58 PM
I've only seen a few episodes (not sure which season) from a DVD that my cousins brought when they visited from South Carolina. But I did learn one thing: The janitor is awesome.

mause
2007-09-21, 07:13 PM
scrubs is ending.:smallfrown:

To me the end of season 6 was a little bit disapoint Dorian and Elliont were separate for too many time and they seem really happy why their relationship as friends and get along so well with their respective couples, I just don't buy it

Carla neutral??? I tend to see her as a filler character, In one of the episodes point out that Carla is not funny.I couldn't agree more.

ray53208
2007-09-21, 08:48 PM
i greatly enjoy scrubs. and thats pretty high praise concidering how much i loathe hospitals and how lame i find most medical shows.

dr cox is the bomb. i wish i could just blast away at things that annoy me like he does... well, sometimes i do. unfortunately, its rarely as funny.

2007-09-21, 09:47 PM
If Scrubs ends they should merge it with House.

Well, not the whole show, just have Cox replace one of the three docs who left at the end of season 3.

Could you imagine House and Cox in the same room? It would explode from pure, unfiltered sarcasm.

ocato
2007-09-21, 10:50 PM
I am just now catching the newer episodes via comedy central, and so far I'm not hating them. It's a great show, we'll see how it develops.

Ted: I quit!
Kelso: No you don't
Ted: Okay, but I'm going home early today!
Kelso: No, you're coming back to my office to do busy work.
Ted: Fine, but first I'm getting a soda!
Kelso: Whatever.
*Ted throws his fist in the air as 'don't you forget about me' starts with a HEY HEY HEY HEY*
*Onlookers clap and support ted*

I love that part.

Pyro
2007-09-21, 11:10 PM
Yeah, Scrubs is starting to get old. I mean playing the Elliot and JD card again is just poor writing. The characters also seem worn. At one point you can't develop a character anymore and it starts to regress. The atmosphere is too different too. Its just plain goofy and almost slapstick, before it was serious at times, but also funny. I'm happy its ending before it can kill its reputation.

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-12, 06:33 PM
The...stupid...Writers Strike..is..lowering the 7th season...episode..count..

-Blows his brains out-

Icewalker
2007-11-12, 07:35 PM
I think Janitor is my favorite character. I like his mind games.

Followed by Ted, because he is hilarious.
Kelso: "What are you thinking Ted?"
Ted: I could jam this knife into the soft spot in his temple, then slit my wrists before anyone could stop me... "The usual sir."
Kelso: "You'll never do it Ted you don't have the guts."

kpenguin
2007-11-12, 07:58 PM

-Blows his brains out-

You don't feel for their plight?

PlatinumJester
2007-11-13, 01:44 PM
I think Scrubs is slightly over-rated by it's still good.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-13, 04:06 PM

-Blows his brains out-

I've read that the creator (Bill Lawrence? I forget his name) has said that if they are forced to end the season (and this the series) without a series finale, he would fight tooth-and-nail for a direct-to-DVD release to wrap up the series properly. Still fewer episodes, but at least it would provide proper closure.

I think Scrubs is slightly over-rated by it's still good.

That's funny, 'cause I always thought it is one of the most underrated shows on TV. Or maybe underappreciated is a better word. Anyway, to each his own.

I've always enjoyed Scrubs very much, although I must admit I've been an on-and-off again viewer the entire run ... there will be periods I watch it pretty faithfully, then I'll lapse on it a bit, then I'll watch it faithfully again. There's not particular reason for this, as far as I can tell. At any rate, whenever I'm flipping through the channels and see Scrubs on, I know it'll be a half hour well spent.

Sneak
2007-11-13, 09:44 PM
I got into Scrubs sometime around a year ago, I think. Anyway, since then I have fastidiously tracked down and watched every old episode (as well as watching the new ones).

I personally don't think that the newer seasons are any worse than the older ones. However, I will grant that all of the episode aired so far in this new season have seemed somewhat sub-par.

Scrubs is one of the few shows that can actually make me laugh out loud. Maybe even the only one.

ocato
2007-11-13, 10:05 PM
"Scrubs, the funniest show you're not watching".

Too true. I never catch that show, ever. I am bad at it, I don't know why. If comedy central didn't have most (and hopefully soon to have them all) of the episodes, I'd never see it.

The new stuff is getting a little tired, but I still laugh. Like when he finds out Kim is still pregnant at the seminar and she asks if there are any questions and he sticks his hand straight up and like, power glares. I died laughing.

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-13, 10:07 PM
You don't feel for their plight?

Yes I do..but when it comes to Scrubs...

Carla: What's your favorite dream Ted?

Ted: I don't remember my dreams..I can remember one though..I hold his under til the last bubble goes POP

skybreak48
2007-11-29, 01:57 AM
I loved the episode "My Musical"!

Loved Avenue Q also.. hehe Ü.

also.. do any of you watch House MD?
http://apps.facebook.com/iwatchhouse/invite.php?id=4505219

RTGoodman
2007-11-29, 01:02 PM
I started watching Scrubs on Comedy Central a year or so ago, but I've managed to get the first 3(?) seasons on DVD and watched. I love the older stuff, but the last two seasons just haven't been as good. There have been a few funny moments, but nowhere near as many as in the first few seasons.

Of course, it may just be because (before the writer's strike) I watched it in the same night as "The Office," which is one of my two favorite (on-the-air) TV shows. (The other is "Dexter," but I don't get Showtime in my dorm, so I have to catch it on our digital cable at home whenever I get a chance.)

Xefas
2007-11-29, 01:21 PM
I think the Janitor has to be my favorite, with The Todd following close behind (as he is often one to do).

"Banana-hammock up!!"

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-29, 01:38 PM
Never liked it, not sure if I ever will.

Pyro
2007-11-29, 09:48 PM
Wow this turned from a "(Dis)Appreciation" thread into an appreciative one. I guess the show still has rabid fans.

Fin
2007-12-01, 10:44 AM
Wow this turned from a "(Dis)Appreciation" thread into an appreciative one. I guess the show still has rabid fans.

yes there is, myself included.

but i will admit that the show does not have the fresh face it did in the early days, but it is difficult for writers to keep something new and still have its old charm by series 7.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-01, 01:54 PM
yes there is, myself included.

but i will admit that the show does not have the fresh face it did in the early days, but it is difficult for writers to keep something new and still have its old charm by series 7.

Darn tootin'! It should've stopped earlier. When they all looked... not old.

*shudder*