PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying All I want for Christmas is...

Sindal
2018-12-04, 12:56 AM
Hi Yall

So it's December. I know it's nowhere near actual Christmas, but it did get me thinking. I'm not aware of any direct equivalent in the dnd universe but if we assume your campaign just happens to stumble into a town that has one:

-What does your PC want for christmas
or
-What is your PC doing to celebrate Christmas

No limits on what you could ask for. Purely for fun.

My Gloomstalker ranger would probably spend the time helping out with the festivities in whatever way he can. Bonus points if he can sing or dance.
When ask what he wants. He'd say "S'pose I'd like to see my family again. Ain't got the money or...know where they are ta visit" and give a goofy grin

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-04, 01:13 AM
To give a suggestion, you already have the winter equinox. It used to be celebrated with a festival in olden times before christmas took over. You could run the gift giving aspect as sharing things to get through the winter that has evolved into a mor eformal tradition. It would make a great role-playing opportunity.

Sindal
2018-12-04, 01:44 AM
To give a suggestion, you already have the winter equinox. It used to be celebrated with a festival in olden times before christmas took over. You could run the gift giving aspect as sharing things to get through the winter that has evolved into a mor eformal tradition. It would make a great role-playing opportunity.

Well sure but what does your PC want for winter equinox :D

jdolch
2018-12-04, 02:35 AM
So it's December. I know it's nowhere near actual Christmas, but it did get me thinking. I'm not aware of any direct equivalent in the dnd universe but if we assume your campaign just happens to stumble into a town that has one:

-What does your PC want for christmas
or
-What is your PC doing to celebrate Christmas

No limits on what you could ask for. Purely for fun.

Seeing as my PC is stuck in Borovia, i would go with:

What he wants for Christmas: Not getting eaten by Night Hags.
What he does to celebrate Christmas: Puke, when he realizes he has eaten pastries the Night Hags made from Children.

Merry Christmas.

SleepIncarnate
2018-12-04, 04:29 AM
Seeing as my PC is from Sigil (a very high magic setting) and is stuck in our home brew world of Dreymir (extremely low magic), what she wants is to get back to Sigil.

She's a bard, so every day is a celebration. Wine, women, and song, and that's just by herself. When the rest of the party joins in, we add in men, grog, and narcissism.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-04, 07:27 AM
My character, Krangjag Sharptooth, wants equality for all goblins.

Also one of those new My Little Pony dolls. The one with the pink swirlies.

yellowrocket
2018-12-04, 08:13 AM
Im currently running 3 characters

My tabaxi rogue will spend it somewhere far from the shinies. Smart enough to know not to mess with the decorations, but not mature enough to resist.

Really wants 2 immovable rods. Would make the impossible climbs possible.

Hyden the level 5 multi class bard, knowledge cleric, rogue, druid now literal skill monkey will spend it schmoozing. Giving the best gifts he can think of to get unrestricted access. . .

To your library.

Samuel, my paladin of conquest, cares not of your holiday.

But if youre getting him something anyways, directions to the soul of the powerful ruler of the town hes currently fighting in and trying to rescue, would not be rejected.

HoodedHero007
2018-12-04, 09:25 AM
For reasonable requests, my character would probably want a larger arsenal, so as to better fight the evil empire that she's more or less stuck in. But if she could have anything, it would be to return to the life she'd been living when she was 16, 4 years ago, before 2/3 of her town was massacred by the aforementioned evil empire.

"Why?" You ask. Simple: Anime broke me.

solidork
2018-12-04, 09:48 AM
My Fighter/Warlock magical detective would spend the holiday eating fruitcake ("Oh, you don't want your piece? Don't mind if I do!") and investigating rumors of this "Santa Claus", who sounds like a suspiciously powerful spellcaster or fey entity.

His apartment building recently burned down (damn Dragon Cultists!) so he kinda needs a new... everything.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-04, 10:00 AM
Hmmm.... we’re pretty deep down into a Frost Giant stronghold and just learned there are Dragons (plural) in the basement.

My Forge Cleric would probably hope for something, anything warm and toasty that will make that easier to deal with. If she was in a town, she’d probably be rejoicing with everyone else. It’s a major tenet of her faith that if you work hard, you enjoy the fruits of that labor. So gift giving, cooking, and crafting galore. I think the material aspects of Christmas would delighg her.

My Alchemist, also on the same mission is actually pretty content. He’s meeting new people, getting to experiment with all manner of magical devices. The only thing he could hope for would to be home with his wife. He’s gonna need to find a really nice gift for her since he has been gone so long.

Marywn
2018-12-04, 12:00 PM
One of my characters will probably want a bagel, or a piece of toast.
Also probably not worry about being pursued by the law because she crashed into a cart and ran away without paying for it.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-04, 12:10 PM
PC:

My character would wish that his symbiotic parasites that are infesting his body would not all talk in his mind as much.

He celebrates by getting so drunk that the voices fade out.

Sindal
2018-12-04, 12:11 PM
I love that half the responses are
"All I want for christmas is to not be stuck in a place that's kinda not ideal"
I suppose I can add my divine soul sorcerer to the pot, who's crashed landed onto a dinosaur island recently and would probaly very much like to not be there for too long.

It's so telling of what an adventurer's life is like :smallbiggrin:

Marywn
2018-12-04, 12:28 PM
Did I mention she got struck by lightning and doesn't have a clue where she is now. Yay, teleporting lightning!

ImproperJustice
2018-12-04, 12:39 PM
I love that half the responses are
"All I want for christmas is to not be stuck in a place that's kinda not ideal"
I suppose I can add my divine soul sorcerer to the pot, who's crashed landed onto a dinosaur island recently and would probaly very much like to not be there for too long.

It's so telling of what an adventurer's life is like :smallbiggrin:

Hey. Adventuring is a 365 day a year (relative to your plane of existence), 24 hour job that works holidays, weekends, and once in a millenia celsetial convergences.
There is no on-call or benefits, and it’s a dirty dangerous job, but for the lucky few, it sure pays well :)

Potato_Priest
2018-12-04, 12:42 PM
Based on where my players are right now and their general preferences in pacing, I think their request would probably be for a long rest. Of course, they're not going to get it so here would be their second requests, based on player and character personalities.

Svitlana: That elephant that the party made her abandon back in Kentucky.

Uncle Joseph: A large number of corpses to raise from the dead.

Little Timmy: Either a bushel of scalps, or a bushel of people to scalp. The latter can also save us some time on getting Joseph's gift.

Grandpappy Norwegius: A less evil family.

My guess as to Christmas celebrations is that they’ll reanimate the corpses of Texans and make the zombies dance around singing “Feliz Navidad”.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-04, 12:43 PM
Hey. Adventuring is a 365 day a year (relative to your plane of existence), 24 hour job that works holidays, weekends, and once in a millenia celsetial convergences.
There is no on-call or benefits, and it’s a dirty dangerous job, but for the lucky few, it sure pays well :)

Oddly I have played in a game where we were 9-5 adventurers working for a business.

In a one city campaign, it was kind of cool.

We ran a guild where adventurers had a work day and a schedule and worked on salary.

We came in 3 price categories:

The Golden Rule
The Silver Guideline
The Copper Suggestion

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-04, 12:45 PM
I was given essentially my choice of magic items recently for a 5/2 Warlock/Bard. A Rod of the Pact Keeper would have been perfect. Could have asked for a Cloak of Elvenkind or Displacement. Maybe a Luckstone for general utility. What did my character go for?

A Cloak of Billowing, because who wouldn't want to be able to have their cloak billow dramatically at will and look cool?

Sometimes, when Willpower is your dump stat, you have to play it all the way.

Potato_Priest
2018-12-04, 12:45 PM

The Golden Rule
The Silver Guideline
The Copper Suggestion

This is hilarious! If it were possible to make my players obey their hirers for any amount of wealth I would want to steal it.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-04, 12:47 PM
Oddly I have played in a game where we were 9-5 adventurers working for a business.

In a one city campaign, it was kind of cool.

We ran a guild where adventurers had a work day and a schedule and worked on salary.

The Golden Rule
The Silver Guideline
The Copper Suggestion

That’s fantastic.

Imagining a scenario where Goblins have emerged from a nearby dungeon and are torching the local inn. PC’s just watching it burn. When asked why they don’t intervene, they ask if the owner would like to upgrade to Silver.
Under Copper, you only provide assistance if his life is in danger. Property is not included.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-04, 12:59 PM
That’s fantastic.

Imagining a scenario where Goblins have emerged from a nearby dungeon and are torching the local inn. PC’s just watching it burn. When asked why they don’t intervene, they ask if the owner would like to upgrade to Silver.
Under Copper, you only provide assistance if his life is in danger. Property is not included.

Yeah, that is pretty much how it worked.

It was based on a game we played that was in Shadowrun where we all played Docwagon workers.

DaveOfTheDead
2018-12-04, 01:18 PM
My halfling monk would probably want to see his mom. It's been quite a few years.

As for what he does during Christmas, he would sing and provide the fun. I still can't decide if/when to multiclass him into bard, but the story hasn't given me a good chance for it.

GlenSmash!
2018-12-04, 01:45 PM
My Zealot will be hoping for a magic Greatsword.

And celebrating with with companions by consuming copious amounts of food and drink and performing feats of strength and badly signing Yule carols.

Pex
2018-12-04, 01:48 PM
My Paladin: World peace. Seriously. The world is being invaded by fiends causing lots of death and destruction. He wants them gone.

My Sorcerer: A two-week vacation with his boyfriend, the party's Fighter.

My Monk: An enchanted katana that's not just a +1.

My Wizard: More spells. He barely knows more spells than a Sorcerer. The DM has been stingy. I almost regret playing the class in this campaign. At least Portent and the Familiar have been useful.

My Barbarian: His parents back. He was orphaned as a kid by the cruel caprice of nature, hence his rage. More realistically: the loin cloth of armor I joked in another thread. AC 15 + DX or CO modifier and not bothered by the extremes of normal weather. He has no inhibitions. :smallwink:

Marywn
2018-12-04, 02:09 PM
My Barbarian: His parents back. He was orphaned as a kid by the cruel caprice of nature, hence his rage. More realistically: the loin cloth of armor I joked in another thread. AC 15 + DX or CO modifier and not bothered by the extremes of normal weather. He has no inhibitions. :smallwink:
*looks around*
I think I see batman.

Laserlight
2018-12-04, 09:33 PM
The Exalted Ledaal Yuyeh and her party are in Barovia, so what she'd really like is to get out of Barovia safely with her party and a few of the lovers she's collected (including Irina).

Also, an elephant. With howdah and mahout and a couple of archers.

And that ghostly white jade sword that's been her Spiritual Weapon? She'd love to have the real thing.

A couple of good salacious novels. Preferably something that will make her new girl (a redhead) blush.

New clothes in high style. She has less than a wagonful, and the Barovian wardrobe is, well, let's say "quaint" and "rustic" rather than "appallingly unfashionable".

ImproperJustice
2018-12-05, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that is pretty much how it worked.

It was based on a game we played that was in Shadowrun where we all played Docwagon workers.

What’s funny is my first thought was that sounds like Shadowrun.

Now there’s an idea, a 5th edition Shadowrun hack.
I know what I want for Christmas!

Sariel Vailo
2018-12-05, 06:37 PM
My pcs first thing they want for christmas,is even more singing at demons.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-12-05, 07:56 PM
An acorn cake. She's far from home, and her goddess used to share them with her back before she knew who she was talking to.

Her goddess isn't exactly pleasant and the "gifts" she's showered on her chosen champion all had horrible, unwanted costs, but the little fairy princess really misses those easy days of acorn cakes and dancing at twilight.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-05, 08:32 PM
I'll use my Dragonborn Blood Hunter for this.

All my character wants for not-christmas holiday is the dragon that burned their home to the ground dead and that dragon's actions undone. For obvious reasons.

My character is probably celebrating by having an extra bite of rations before trudging on angrily in the snow. Also snowball fights. Please note: snowball fight is code for murder evil people with the aid of snow.

Corran
2018-12-05, 09:11 PM
My emo lore bard will spend not-Christmas annoyed at everyone's enthusiasm and by writing even more pessimistic songs than usual. He will wish people were able to understand him.:smallbiggrin:
My first dragonslayer didn't live long enough to become wiser.
My second dragonslayer would be wise enough to wish for an endless supply of potions of jump.
My third dragonslayer would be wiser, so he would ask for a ring of feather falling on top of the potions.
My fourth dragonslayer would be even wiser, and ask for boots of flying instead.
My fifth dragonslayer would be the wisest of them all, and she would simply wish for a change of profession.
Bottom line, be careful what you wish for...! :smallamused:

Ganymede
2018-12-05, 09:32 PM
Fulmea Kireen the high elf barbarian is perfecting her prestidigitation so she can replicate the flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon. She's also tinkering with a way to make glowing lights without burning down the tree.

Cricket the goblin wizard is definitely making a home made cheese plate. He's also trying to convince everyone to try his toasted mealworms.

Rook Faldanan the human ranger is hiding his whiskey from Fulmea's prestidigitations. He also keeps looking out the window just in case.

Another way to phrase the question: What kind of fun stuff and fan service would your PC do if he or she was in a medieval fantasy version of Mass Effect 3's Citadel expansion.

Marywn
2018-12-05, 10:43 PM
Ramiel the aasimar fighter probably wants to be able to spend time with her company, before they got horribly murdered by their own officer in a grab from military power.

Also, sunflower seeds, She really loves sunflower seeds.

Specter
2018-12-06, 08:38 AM
My level 5 Arcane Trickster wants a +1 leather armor, because he's getting his ass kicked way too often.
He'll celebrate Christmas by having a few drinks on any tavern.

Angelalex242
2018-12-06, 01:01 PM
All my Paladins (All of them) want is AL Legal Holy Avengers :P

Vorpalchicken
2018-12-06, 05:25 PM
A Vorpal sword and a major land war.